Folding for the first time. Have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Parabola, Oct 24, 2012.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    JEDEC's standard testing does require DDR2 modules to withstand up to 2.3v, but that doesn't mean all DDR2 sticks are created equal.
    His RAM stick is rated at 1.8v, so pushing the voltage too much above its rated voltage would probably have diminishing returns.

I have 4x1GB Corsair XMS sticks installed on my E6550 rig, and those are rated at 1.9v.
    Still rock-solid stable with 60MHz over its max supported speed for years.

He's using a generic Hynix RAM stick and a Jetway motherboard; not much to work with.
    Also, it's a C2D, so the RAM speed is tied to the FSB; not much he can do there.
    At the mobo's default DIMM voltage of 1.95v, he couldn't even raise the FSB by 10MHz from stock clock.
    Now that he lowered it to 1.85v (the lowest possible on his mobo for some reason), he could raise the FSB to around 220MHz (from 200MHz).

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    1.9v isn't max for DDR2. Kingston has DDR2 kits running as high as 2.3V....

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    You gotta stop posting just for the sake of arguing, sykozis.
    Read my last post again.

4. Parabola

Parabola Banned

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    Okay folks can someone explain why lowering RAM voltage helped? I mean when i raise the FSB, i had to increase the Vcore to stabilize it. And since the RAM frequency is set to auto, so it was increasing along with FSB, then shouldn't giving more voltage to the RAM be actually beneficial?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    When I typed that out, post #18 was the last post displaying. Exactly why it's further down than the forum indicated it would have been, I don't know. Had the other posts displayed before I posted it, I wouldn't have bothered.