1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fm2 & Am3 board questions

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by MisterWhippy, Oct 22, 2017.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 Strix
    I have a few unrelated questions, and will provide as much info as possible.

I am STILL using an M4n82 Deluxe motherboard. Still using Phenom II x2 550. Upgraded the other year to a Gtx660ti as a birthday present. It was new tech at the time. I use the gtx260 as a ppu for borderlands2 and it works great. Still using 4gb ram. YUCK

Upgrading the cpu is easy and the list offered is comprehensive. Asus is good about that. HOWEVER. RAM/Memory is another issue. There is no way they could list all ram, so they blanketed it. I see a rare term in desktops in the manual:

"You may install (Sizes from 512mb to 4gb) unbuffered ECC and non-ECC DDR2 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets"

How frequent is this? I was not aware of the memory being the same pin, but this is new to me. Pc2-5300 ecc memory is dirt cheap. 16gb next to nothing. What difference from non-ecc could I expect? 4gb is not cutting it hahaha. I am really suffering in the ram department, and if 16gb of ecc does me better, sign me up.

Heres my other question.

I have a "new" tech board. Its a FM2 board. M-Atx form factor. A55M-E33 by MSI.

It has a cpu that DOES NOT have a built in gpu (Its CPU not an APU). Will the board still output video via the HDMI?

Thanks again!

-Whippy

2. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+RX580 8GB OC
    Basically with ECC ram you can add 1 clock cycle to the timings so say your non ECC ram has timings 5-5-5-9 by using ECC it would go to 6-6-6-10 ever so slightly slower (there's probably more to it but you get the gist) but you'll not know the difference the one thing you do need to watch is how many dimms you use 4x4GB not really ideal for AMD CPU's they can have problems and you'll need to up the voltage for the CPU North Bridge to 1.4V

I'd try just 2x4GB dimms to start with see how you get on

as for the FM2 mobo you'll need DDR3 ram not DDR2 (for the M4N82 deluxe)

3. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 Strix
    I did end up getting a 4x4 set of 800 mhz ecc ram. I havn't been able to get it to boot at 667, and may try 800 just using auto timings. I have used this board for a long time, and have done some wacky stuff with it. I just need to get timings right.

4. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 Strix
    I found out that there is a specific "High Density" memory that is for AMD. IF anyone needs some DDR2 server memory, I got 16gb lol.

I figured I would treat my system to one final upgrade. I have had it 6-7 years unchanged.

I did find a set of 16 gb that is listed on the QVL, and it is not server memory. 4gb modules are expensive. Also bought super cool ram heat spreaders. This size memory is either name brand OMFG360NOSCOPE edition, or just plain jane exposed chips. These were exposed...My board has yellow & black ram slots, so I got gold and black ram covers. It should get me at least 3 more fps just being color coordinated.

Got a 3.4ghz quad core phenom II. Don't know if its Black Edition or not, but not planning on Overclocking. 4 sticks of ram in this board limits OC potential, but nothing is stopping me from removing 2 sticks @ 8gb and torturing it. I know I will find out its limits as I always do. If it does well, Ill get the water cooler out and have my fun. I doubt it with my luck lately. Long gone are the days of 3.0ghz Opteron 144s. 3.4ghz is plenty fast enough either way.

found a really cheap gtx 960. It has analog DVI, so I can continue using this GDM. Should give me a few more FPS then the gtx 260. It is time to retire the GTX260 to be a physx card for borderlands 2 (works great for it btw)

I don't "game" any more. I have the titles I enjoy, but nothing has really worked for me for years. Fallout New Vegas is going to look amazing. Some games like Strider will finally run again.

*EDIT*
    I ran the numbers on the chip (used) and it is a Black Edition. bonus

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

5. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 Strix
    Got the ddr2 Ram today. 4x4gb.

I know this is old tech, but I am having some issues. I can get the system to boot with 1 stick. Any one stick will do. I have the latest Bios. Any suggestions that may save me some trouble? I have bios options set to "auto" for the memory.