flight sims seem to be a dying breed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by captnemo, Jun 6, 2006.

1. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    StarCraft ...

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    poker is the most skill requring game!

3. disfigured_LmKi

disfigured_LmKi Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT on 26" Sammy
    Unforutunatly it's a fading demographic.

If your younger CaptNemo, I give you praise. Most younger people don't have the patience to get through the learning curve to enjoy simulations. They want immediate fun and skill. What they're missing is the fun you have once you've got a rudimentary talent for flying.

When ever pilots gloat in BF2, I tell em to go get a flight sim and shut up. You can map your keys and be in the air in 3 minutes in BF2. A flight sim takes 3 days before you can even make a decent landing and figure out stall speeds and fuel mixes. Even then your just barely able to do basic turns.

MS Combat Flight Simulator series was good, I still have it and wonder what it would look like on my newest computer? I wonder if you can still get a mp game going at "THE ZONE".

4. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I don't think the topic is so much about what sold, as much as what's actually available. I can get into msfs a little bit, but not much changes in it between versions besides graphics and the addons are just that, addons for what's a just civilian flight sim. What seems to be dying is the development in the genre. The only real development that seems to be going on is community based addons and expansions to old sims. There is the IL series, but at some point something modern would be nice, and the latest Modern combat sim leave much to be desired. There are some other less popular modern combat flying games (and I use the term "games" because most are quite arcadey), and even those are probably a little aged. What really sucks about arcadey flying games is that they're too cheesy for the SIM fans, and every other type of gamer rather be playing something else. I'm sure the SIM games sell really well amongst sim fans, but not the largest gaming market anyhow, while arcadish games aimed toward a larger crowd just end up doing worse making the whole flight genre seem less worth while for Publishers if not developers.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Some of real Hardcore fans and gamers of TAW(total Air war) are trying to mod the game.Many programmer and some old developers are trying to remake the game.as i heard months ago they contacted with the developer DID and try to permission to hack the game.

6. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Woooa...there are waaaay too many versions of IL2! Which one do I go with? They're all over the place!

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    IL2 are great but..so hard for me :(.infact not hard..i just bored of them :p .

8. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    you guys realize that FS2 is open source, and currently looks about 10x better than it ever did in 1999

we've got hardware transform and lighting, which translates to the ability to put high-polygon models into the game
    we've got specular, glow, and now environment mapping for ships. work on bump/displacement mapping is currently in progress
    we've got spectacular user-made campaigns, fully voice-acted.
    we've got high-resolution everything, taking advantage of the much larger amounts of video memory that the average user has now compared to how much they had in 1999. high-res backgrounds, ship textures, effects.

you should play it if you havent, it's one of the best single player games in the history of single player games, ever.
    the multiplayer is being worked on, with some new breakthroughs that will enable a whole bunch of new multiplayer gametypes

www.hard-light.net
    http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php
    http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-details.php?returnto=/account-cp.php&id=41728
    (torrent is legal)

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

Hey mate u talking about lagendary Free Space 2 ?? holly ! Its awesome.i still keep it in my goods :) .hey tell me more.i want cocpit view in the spaceships..r they modded it?

10. Lowbudgetgamer

Lowbudgetgamer Banned

GPU:
    PNY FX 5200U 128/128 331
    Just get IL-2 sturmovic,then its exp. Pacific fighters.

hours of fun for me, lanning is fun too dad still cant shoot me down(In one planes time).

11. Beren-OneHand

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580

cockpit view we can do
    render to texture for updating cockpit displays, thats in the works

of course, you can only have cockpit view in models that have cockpits.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    COCKPITS!?!?! IN FS2? MY GOD BEST THING I EVER HEARD today :D
    So some models have cocpit models.cool.hey i downlaod torrent one ok.do i need anything else ?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  13. Beren-OneHand

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    torrent is packed to be mostly hassle free

go to the hard-light forums for answers

14. Beren-OneHand

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    my name is Turambar, there and everywhere else on the internet

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    ok then thanx :D

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Siming is dieing in general. I still load up MS Train Simulator too from time to time. It gets dull fast but it had potential. I'm glad Kuju has brought Train Simulator 2 back from the dead.

FSX looks fantastic but I'll definately need to upgrade. My 6600 should be able to handle it but I'll need a faster CPU for physics.

17. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    I just bought an IL-2 compilation for US$ 20.00! It seems pretty nice, I'm at work right now can't wait to give it a spin when I get home!
    Good buy? It includes:

Forgotten Battles
    ACE Expansion Pack
    Pacific Fighters

It doesn't actually say IL2 is included...but I assume it is :frown:

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Good bought! U forced me to reinstall the game :D

19. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    The flight sims only came about when there was an actual competetive market. FS '98, fs2000, Fly, X-Plane were all the major players back then. Now i can only think of FS9 as the leading flight sim. All others just faded away....

But I think there's not an open audience. Go to any flight sim website and you'll see it's just as busy as it ever was.

20. Owlsphone

Owlsphone Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT 490/1150
    You did the right thing. I've been flying the IL-2 series for the past 5 years since it was just a demo in 2001. IL-2 Sturmovik was the original game with Forgotten Battles being the true sequel. The Ace Expansion pack and Pacific Fighters are add-on packs that can be installed over Forgotten Battles to create one large game. No one actually flies the original IL-2 Sturmovik anymore.

The "Gold Pack" that you got is the best thing to currently buy. Before it was released, we had to buy each expansion pack individually. Now for your convenience, all needed packs are included.

Here is the link which tells you what patches you need and in what order to bring you up to date to version 4.04:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/5581083643

What you have is the merged version. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

And if you're feeling like getting your butt kicked online by hundreds of players, use Hyperlobby game client. No one really uses the Ubi.com service.
    Hyperlobby can be downloaded here:
    hyperfighter.sk/

I hope that helps you. If you have any other questions about the series feel free to ask. :dave: