flight sims seem to be a dying breed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by captnemo, Jun 6, 2006.

1. captnemo

captnemo Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 6600gt 128 meg card
    I love flight simulator games, and it seems flight simulators are never talked about in this and other game forums, All I read about is battlefield 2 or halflife. Flight simulators require more skill than any other game especially using a joystick to control complicated manuvers. So it seems flight sims are becomming dying breed because no one is showing interest in them or talking about them in forums.

Do you aggree or disaggree with my above statements. Come on dont be shy, speak up

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Your wrong, counterstrike 1.6 will always require more skill than any game that has ever been made, and ever will be made.

3. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    I don't see too many good flight sims anymore. I think they are cool, but there's been no real promotion for them. Also their learning curve doesn't attract new players as easily.

4. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    well i realy dont know eny new non-combat flysim o_O and yes it would be cool if there were more of them then we have now =P

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    If you're talking about a game like MS Flight Simulator....the learning curve is pretty steep for games like that. I know of only 2 people who actually play flight simulators, and they're both plane freaks :D They play it on systems with 3 much inch monitors for the realism and spend loads of money on equipment for it. Pretty cool to see, but it's just too slow paced for me.

As for simulators as X-Wing and the such, I'd REALLY like to see something like that appear again!!!

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Cs? need skills? U mean skills of shooting good.not playing the game. but simulations need skills to fly those Huge planes ;).think that ;).Pick MSFS 2004 and try to fly a plane.and obey all rulez of ATC and other elements..ok just try to fly :)

And i can suggest u to try the FS 2004 addons.There are thousands of files out there to make ur game much more realistic and fun!try to FS Pessanger.

7. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    That was such a pathetic post. Sorry, but please don't drop lines like that. Especially "You're wrong" is not the best way to open discussion.

I actually bought a joystick a few months ago...not sure why as I don't have any flight sims...any at all! :D

Can anyone reccommend some really good ones? Relatively easy and FUN? I assume combat flight sims. Reccommend away!

Cheers!

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I love flight sims, but have kinda lost interest in them a bit recently. LOMAC is just too frickin' complicated, IL2 and the add ons are where it's at. Maybe that's why there haven't been many flight sims recently, because IL2 is just too damn good! I never got into flying for the thrill of flying, if my plane hasn't got some kind of weapon on it then I get bored very easily!

Only other games I use my stick for are X3:Reunion and BF2, if only microsoft would write some xp drivers for the FF...

I've got a logitech wingman extreme too, but it's absolutely pants, the sidewinder FF pro ftw!

9. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Good day,

There are a few flight simulation games. I prefer combat flight simulations.

The eurofighter: typhoon from DID was a decent combat flight simulation game.

The F22 ADF from DID again is also a good combat flight simulation game.

And Comanche 4 by Novalogic, although arcady, is a very fun combat helicopter game.
    The very old Apachee Longbow by Jane was also great!

The F16 falcon 4 is another decent flight combat simulation.

But recently there aren't many combat flight simulations anymore.

10. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I love flight sims but I agree, there's a total lack of them. Flight Simulator 2004 is the best non-combat out right now, while IL-2: Forgotten Battles and it's two expansion packs are the best combat.

I had LOMAC but I found it to be a terrible game. It wouldn't even run properly, and to make matters worse, it uses Starforce copy protection.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FS10) is coming out in October.

A good freeware flight sim is Orbiter. It's a space one.
    www.orbitersim.com

Flight sims are a very steep learning curve but it's really not that difficult if you know what you're doing. I fly RC aircraft in real life so I use the sims for practice and fun.

11. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line is planning a mid-july Multiplayer Only release

its a mod of the FS2-Open engine

12. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I'd say IL2 for a somewhat realistic sim, but relatively easy.
    I'm more of a spacesim nut: Freespace2, X3, X-Wing:Alliance are games I still play these days.

13. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I actually enjoyed playing lomac, and it is only the expansion "Flaming Cliff's" that requires starforce. It is the only recently released modern combat flight sim available. My only issue with LOmac is the performance is horrible no matter what machine you play it on. Before that I used to play Jane's USAF which was and probably still is pretty good except it I can't play it in XP. It's quite unfortunite that there is such a lack in the flight sim genre, it's what actually got me deeper into PC's. Started with Evasive Action.

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    that looks really impressive, i'm going to have to dig out fs2 when that comes out, i hope the damage is more realistic than fs2 though

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I have played IL-2 for 2yrs or so now and I feel the same as others here about LOMAC(not worth the effort for me). IL-2 is fantastic in that tho its getting old is still supported and continues to be updated(latest add on came out last month Pe-2 Peshka) and there will be 2 more add-ons yet not too mention another free "add-on" with at least 2 more maps if not 3(Burma and Norway for sure possible Italy)
    We should be expecting the next Maddox game sometime this fall(we hope) Battle of Britain: Storms of War and should continue the WWII Flight sim for many more years

16. iamtheoneneo

iamtheoneneo Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb @ 576/1700
    as some of you may or may not no i work in a game store every saturday, and there most certainly ot a dieing breed. we sell a heck of a lot of fs addons etc etc ina day compared to other stuff thats been out there for a long time

17. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I was thinking while I was at work today. I was like it would be really cool if they could come out with a combat flight sim game that had kick butt graphics like oblivion. One day I guess. :(

18. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580

the game is standalone
    its based on the FS2_Open engine, but will not require Freespace 2 to play
    there's not gonna be any of FS2 left. i know, because i'm replacing the interface one file at a time.

19. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Amen to that my FF pro is sitting here ready for action.
    [​IMG]

We need to find someone who can make drivers.
    [​IMG]

20. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC