Flashing Cards. People still have problems. This might help.

Discussion in 'Links' started by Chouji, Jan 11, 2004.

1. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

I have a leadtech 5900NU though, and a lot of ppl are using the leadtech 5950U to flash their card with...... both of which have VIVO.... It's the same company, and both have VIVO, so I'm thinking it should work, but I just don't know.

VIVO is not that important to me really.... but if I ever need to use TV-out, I would want it to work...

2. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Chouji, i have 2 questions.

1. Will i be able to flash a Leadtek 5900NU My ViVo?

2. How do i get a 98/ME boot disk? (i use windows XP)

o yea one more thing: I have only 4X agp, is that still ok? and is a 440PSU safe enough?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  3. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

This is the same question that I have, I just want to know if my VIVO will still work...

4. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Chouji we need u

5. 2fast4u2

2fast4u2 Guest

arrbeebee, ygpm, i didnt get the file,
    thanks

6. dmann304

dmann304 Guest

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 5600 Ultra
    What bios is recommended for the PNY5900nu? i hear people use Gainward or Leadtech or even Giga-byte so what is the best one for the PNY FX?

7. bluesmoke

bluesmoke Member

GPU:
    ASUSN6600 EX SLI
    Can anybody please send me a copy of Asus FX5900nu. It' just that i forgot tho save it when i flashed my bios to fx5950, and i wanna keep it just in case, of having problems not to void the 3 years warranty.
    thanks a lot.

hendfreitas@msn.com

8. dmann304

dmann304 Guest

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 5600 Ultra
    I wish someone would give a tip or tell me what bios is best for the PNY 5900FX?

9. DeepPhreeze

DeepPhreeze Guest

Sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered. See I'm better with CPUs and motherboards, memory, etc than with video cards so bare with me. I have a 5200+. Not a regular 5200, it's a 5200+. I ran some tests and concluded I can flash it to a 5200U if I find a BIOS version for a p162 GFX board. I tried VGABIOS in DOS with some p140 5200U BIOS and it left crazy characters all over the screen. DOS4GW didn't even get used. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and flash it anyways? Or are there p162 BIOS I can get from somebody here? Am I doing something wrong?
    P.S. Please note I haven't physically flashed the BIOS yet.

10. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO flashed A380
    SilentBomber

I have a WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO.

I have flashed it with too many bioses to list.
    And not even using Leadteks can i get my VIVO to work.
    I reflash back to my original and all is well again.
    Chris454

11. -Cerberus-

-Cerberus- Guest

I went from Leadtek bios to Gainward, still flickering screen. Now, using WFFLASH or nvflash, I can't flash back to my old bios...

12. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

okay, I've done some research, and here's what I've found out about the VIVO. The 5900 Ultra and 5950 Ultra both use a phillips decoder chip for video out. The 5900 non-ultra uses an integrated chip for video out. This can be seen when you go to the driver properties where it lists the bios version, etc. If you flash a 5900 non-ultra with a 5900 ultra or 5950 ultra bios, then when your computer boots up, the bios of the card tries to initialize a phillips decoder, it doesn't get found, so nothing get initialized for video out. The only way video out could work on a 5900 non-ultra card, that has been "flashgraded" would be to find a 5950 card that has an integrated video out decoder, or to hack the bios to make it still initialize.

13. dmann304

dmann304 Guest

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 5600 Ultra
    That explains why my PNY 5900 doesn't work with tv out. I tried using the Bies editor for some of the bioses i used and the options for tv out and some other options are grayed out which is weird. maybe because the bios didn't support the 5950 yet. and wird is in the xbios editor the agp is 2 x which is weird is that in display properties its on 8x.

14. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    Has to be more to it than that, because mine is an ultra and vivo will not work, but it looks like it works for some people.

chris454

15. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

Chris, right click on your desktop and go to properties. Clcik the settings tab, then click the advanced button. Then select the tab with your video card and click the very top thing on the menu on the right. In the greenish box at the top for TV encoder type, does it say integrated or phillips?? If yours is integrated, then maybe I will try to flash my 5900 to a 5900 ultra and see if my VIVO still works...

(I know you probably know how to get there, I just did that for two reasons: 1) to clarify 100% what I'm talking about, and 2) so other people that might not know can check)

16. ArrBeeBee

ArrBeeBee Member

GPU:
    Build by ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB
    well, just to let you know, my msi 5900sp (se version) has the phillips 7108A encoder instead of some integrated encoder. I can't see if VIVO still works or not after the flash because i don't think my card can handle the 5950U speeds. It was giving me lines and dots after i flashed it, so i just flashed it back with my backup bios. However, I'm kind of wondering if it's possible that when i reflashed it with my original 5900SP bios, it didn't change the encoder settings, so the 5950U bios settings might've stayed behind. If this is true, then I'm guessing that my VIVO won't work either. I'll try out my VIVO once i get my cables back.

17. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    btw i just noticed this PM chouji sent me on the 20th.

just thought i should post it up since some people had the same question as me...

18. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

if anybody has a 5950 card with an integrated tv encoder (if they even exist), then a lot of people would be absolutely thrilled if you would make a back-up of your bios and host it....

19. I have an XFX FX5900 128mb 256bit

When I try to use NVFlash, i get the EEPROM error, and I don't know what to do. I can backup fine, but i can't write to the bios. I tries WFFLASH too, but that wasn't working for me either :(

Any tips?

20. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU: