Flashing Cards. People still have problems. This might help.

Discussion in 'Links' started by Chouji, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

But with the modified 5950U bios it never got above 40c, i thought that was strange, and decided to try the 5900NU bios, modified it as with the 5950U bios and tried that.
    And the temps are back to normal. Little less performance and speed, but it runs stable.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
  2. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The important thing is to keep temps down ---> not up !

So the cooler, the better !!!!!

3. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

what's keeping the temp down, isn't it a bit abnormal that it stays at 40c (at all times)??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
  4. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    A 5950u bios is not like those of the lower cards !

Diferent timings and other parameters in a 5950u bios are what cause it ot show at lower temps.

And its not the same for every card. My 5900nu drops in temp approx 6-10 degrees when flashed with different 5950u bios's.

You are the first person I have come accross that needs to be coaxed into using a 5950u bios that not only gives better performance, but also shows lower temps.

So, don't use it, if you are not happy with what you see or get ----> my coaxing stops here !

5. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

I'm sorry, it's not my intention to critisize you or the help you offered instead i'm really greatfull for that, i really appreciated it and never could have done it without you, i just don't want it to end it like this. I just think that you're the one that knows the most of this, and if you think it's idiotic then maybe i have to agree. Thank You anyway!!

6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    I didn't think it is idiotic, just strange that you seemed to need so much coaxing i

Also, although I don't mind helping, it can't be an individual and ongoing personal service ?

7. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Sure, i understand, it don't matter it had to end sooner or later, i just don't want you to think that i'm hanging out the smartass here taking your help for granted and for that matter ignoring the fact that you do this pure on a voluntary base and don't have to take some peoples opinions or thrash for granted all the time i just want to make sure that you are willing to offer me help in the future, i wanted you to know that i appreciate it. (AND I DON'T NEED MUCH COAXING) whatever that means.

8. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

No problem, I am always willing to help where I can, but can only give limited input as I am involved with more than this forum -----> including of course, my real life !

And coaxing is not a bad word, it only means ---> nudged or pushed a little in a particular direction of thinking !

9. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Ok i think that its best for me to take it all in concideration and after that decide on what's the best thing to do, i need some time to think about it, because i have not yet done that, all i did was do do do without thinking about the pro's and con's, but knowing me i'll probably put the ultra bios back on, and eventually buy a fatter graphics card and flash it to an even bigger one.

10. Wonder MaN

Wonder MaN Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForcE 7300GT 256M.B @ 500/800
    hey jimmor help me Plz, I've just tried to flash my video card, i've followed the instructions given for plashing procedure, But it seems that theres nothing done no message confirmed me that the flashing process is done or succeeded,
    To know what i've done i'll tell you in details:
    First i've maked a bootable Floopy Disk & put Nvflash v5.10.exe & it's CWSDPMI file on it & also added the wanted new bios too,
    Then i've restarted my pc with FD inside its rom to enter in dos mode, command A:\> appears,
    wt i've typed : nvflash -r to remove any protection if existed,
    Then typed : nvflash -b oldbios.rom to save original bios
    Finally typed : nvflash-f N4578VT1.rom for example to flash the new bios, then appeared some commands which @ the end of the screen telling me "press Enter to continue Or Q to quite" Then i pressed enter about 4 times till A:\> appeared again, removed the FD & restarted. no flashing happened!
    i 've read that theres forced flashing so the next time i typed :
    nvflash -p -u -f N4578VT1.rom, but nothing affected no new bios installed,
    i want to know wt i've done is wrong or missing ?!
    any help i'll be grateful,

11. Nisei

Nisei Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    OK, I have a Leadtek 5900 LX (although the nVidia driver just lists it as a 5900 without LX) which runs perfectly stable at 500/900 but as I read earlier the standard memory speed for a 5950 is 950 so that's a no go. Would I gain anything by flashing it to a 5900 Ultra bios (higher core voltage and higher fan speed maybe?) or can I just continue overclocking?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  12. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    For flashing a FX59xx series of card,

Flash the bios using nvflash.exe v4.41

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -u -p -fBIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

However because of DOS filname restriction, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have max of 8 char's in first part of filename and max of 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise command.

13. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

Forget flashng with a 5900ultra bios as it will do nothing for your card !!!!!!!

Also, since you can already overclock memory to 900 with original XT bios, then it is likely that the more relaxed latency timings in a 5950u bios would allow overclocking to at least 950 ?

So why not give a 5950u bios flashing a try ?

EDIT:

And if you can then overclock to at least 510/970 then why not try a flash with the performance BFG5950u bios at first post of "Moded 5900XT Bioses" thread, or as posted below,

http://home.arcor.de/redinferno/5900XT-BIOS/MOD-BIOS/sev5950u/bf5u5197.zip

Also, you should be posting your 5900 card/bios flashing problems at that thread and not here !!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  14. Nisei

Nisei Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    OK thanks, it worked like a charm. Sorry I posted in the wrong thread.

15. LilKeV84

LilKeV84 Guest

Has anyone had this problem b4?

ERROR: EEPROM Programming Failed
    Mismatch in 256 byte page-mode programming

Because of this I am unable to successfully flash my card. It happens at different places depending on the bios i flash. My modded bios is able to write until almost the end. Some original bioses fail at the very beginning.

Help! =(

16. LilKeV84

LilKeV84 Guest

oh...solved...
    its caused by me putting nvflash -w earlier...but what i don't understand is why it only affects certain bioses and at certain parts...weird

17. Retrolock

Retrolock Guest

GPU:
    G1 Gaming GTX 970
    flashed mine! :)

am i going to expect problems later?

18. Iceblade

Iceblade Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI FX5900(flashed FX5950U)
    @Jimmor
    I see you used MSI bois to flash your GPU,
    I have a MSI FX5900 VTD128 and will be flashing as soon as my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum arrives,
    would that bois work better with my card or should I also look at a different bois?

19. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Since your card is a 5900nu type, you can choose to flash with any 5950u bios. However keep clear of ASUS types as they are not very friendly when it comes to overclocking with newer drivers, or modding for performance improvements.

My choice of the MSI5950u bios was based on many hours of testing with lots of different manufacturers versions. With my Aopen 5900nu card, I found the MSI5950u to be more stable at high overclocks and temps, but thats not neccessarily going to be the same for your situation.

Also, to get the best overclocks out of any bios, it is important to have good heatsinking on both GPU and Memory chips. And i'm not that sure that MSI cards are that good in the area of heatsinking/cooling. Mind you, for excellent heatsinking you could fit a Arctic Cooling NV4 (5950u) Silencer, Which I have found to work extremely good with 5900nu cards.

So my suggestion would be for you to try as many 5950u bios's as you feel like, starting with the excellent modded BFG5950u bios I have linked below,

http://home.arcor.de/redinferno/5900XT-BIOS/MOD-BIOS/sev5950u/bf5u5197.zip

20. Iceblade

Iceblade Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI FX5900(flashed FX5950U)
    I have downloaded MSI 5950U ref.01 and ref.02 from NV Planet,
    what should I use ref.01 or 02??:(

Then I downloaded a NVFlash, version 4.41(cause it was downloaded the most) and a new NVFlash v5.13.

Which one do you use?