Flashing Cards. People still have problems. This might help.

Discussion in 'Links' started by Chouji, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Flashing a club 3d 5900xt

I have tried flashing a Club 3D FX5900 xt card, but i get an message "The checksum of cl59x488 or if i use the other cl 59xtrl failed""
    and something like "the programming is wrong" with a number -66f87b and in the other case -66fa7b(i've might have switched them) This all i did with Winfox installed and then WFFlash.exe nm cl59xtrl.rom in DOS mode. Would that implicate that the card is not flashable or is there something else wrong or did i do something wrong. Flashing with nvflash and the commands -p -u -f file.rom etc doesn't seem to work either.
    Have you got any ideas on what to do to get it to work?
    I've overclocked the card manually to 310/435/774 so that would be fine by me but the flashing roms are tempting (300/480/800)
    So any help would be welcome.

2. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

http://bios.hopto.org/

3. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Re: Flashing a club 3d 5900xt

First of all, if you can only achieve 300/435/774 with your current bios, then don't try flashing any moded bios with stock speeds above 300/450/800 !

Once flashed of course, you can then try overclocking as high as your card will run stable.

And for flashing,

Flash the bios using nvflash.exe v4.41

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -u -p -fBIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

However because of DOS filname restriction, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have max of 8 char's in first part of filename and max of 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise command.

4. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Re: Re: Flashing a club 3d 5900xt

5. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

so you're saying i only can try it with standard settings?
    I have to undo yhe overclocking and unclock it to 300/390/700 it was and then try the .roms
    sounds obvious

6. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

after unclocking it to the standard settings 300/390/700 the bios update worked tho i thought the update would set the frequencies to 300/450/800,but after the flash it only set the clock frequency to 435 mhz,i don't know if that is normal, but after some overclocking it runs at now 300/450/815 and maybe higher(not yet tested!) i'm first gonna run 3d mark and see what score i get. Is it advisable to get another cooling fan, who cools more than the standard one? due to the higher frequencies, we will find out sooner or later won't we, but its better to be ahead.

7. BitchBreaker

BitchBreaker New Member

Re: bad flash? hurt card? help pweeez!

Your on your own this time. i dont deal with sub 5900 series cards. and worse yet, i dont deal with anyone who doesnt follow my instructions. to me, they are laws, they are writen and it doesnt matter if you or anyone see's them. its when they are broken...

you shouldnt have been flashing a 5200 in the first place. The problem exist between your keyboard and your chair.

I want to say sorry, but im not. Your ignorance and your rude selection of a user name has removed all aqaintence respect i have for members i just meet.

P.S. i have a gainward 5200 128mb 660 with tv-out no dvi. I've flashed it a dozen times no problem. it seems you just f*cked up.

Thats the help i got from Chouji....what a *******! I dident even see his rules or what ever untill after i messed the card up!I really could care less if any one else has a problem with me talking about the above dick head so b4 u post a flame STOP.But really...wtf is his problem?I just got a bad tast in my mouth from this guy so i think ill go back to [H]ard forum where im treated with respect!

8. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Problem solved, but it would't run on 300/480/800 settings,yea it did but it froze a few times during benchmarking so the scores dropped, i had to unclock it to 300/450/800, after that the score was little under 5000 points.
    Not bad, 250 points gained. I bet that when i use a heavier processor, now i have a xp2400@2000mhz the scores can be much higher. I already tried it with overclocking the cpu to fsb of 2133 = xp 2600 and the score was again higher (using corecenter).
    After that i flashed it with an msi fx5950ultra bios and with a fsb speed of 2100mhz the score raised to 5153 3dmark points, i wonder what it will do with a 3200 mhz processor... 5600??:) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2004
  9. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Which msi5950u bios did you flash it with, and at what speeds did you run at ???

Also, did you know that, with NiBiTor v1.8, you could set the bios timings of a 5950u bios to same as for XT bios, and achieve better performance !!

10. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

I used MSIFX5950U256MB-Rev01 and it runs at the frequencies as they are flashed with the bios 300/475/950 only thing is that the temp is lower than usual,39 degrees now and i think its 50 degrees with the original bios.

No i didn't know that
    I've downloaded NiBiTor v1.8 and if i understand correctly i have to load an XT BIOS, see what the timings are, then load the 5950ultra bios and fill in the settings from the XT (= timing A=3 B=17 C=19 D=11 E=6 F=6) save it to a .rom and flash the card with that.
    For the 5950ultra bios it's A=67 B=23 C=26 D=15 E=8 F=8
    I don't know if the settings for my XT card are the same as with the XT bios i downloaded, because i didn't save my original bios, but use the one i found somewhere on the web, i knew that it was 4.35.20.32.01 bios and downloaded the same so i'm going to assume that it's identical. Do you by any chance know if 4.35.20.32.02 bios is an bios update for an XT card.

:rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

11. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

using the XT memory settings increased the performance indeed,just tried it and after benchmarking it came with an result of 5337 points, that 200 points more than without the XT memory settings. Thank you for pointing that out for me.

If i equip the card with a better cooling solution (any idea's on that are welcome!) should performance or stability increase also?? I've set my mind on a Zalman 80D-HP with optional fan. But any suggestions which is a good cooling solution are welcome. Also if you compare the memory settings posted in the last reply i noticed that for the ultra the numbers are higher, maybe performance could be gained by modifing them a bit...
    But maybe i should be happy with this and leave it, i already gained 500 points which is not bad i think for a days work. I've not yet tested it while playing a game for long, it could be that after 1 1/2 hour i still can get artifacts or other faults, but i played bfv yesterday for some time, and i didn't see anything what i shouldn't so i'd say it's hopefull

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2004
  12. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

ok, using msi drivers v66.72 the score is now 5498 mark 3d points

last test the score was 5591 points

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2004
  13. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    when I said set the 5950u bios timings to those of a XT, I should have said the NiBiTor "B to F" timings only.

The NiBiTor "A" timing is actually for memory latency, and should be set at 64 for the 5950u bios

14. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

didn't look good, while playing morrowind(blinking letters and other irregularities call em artifacts if you will) You should know that the card i had before had an malfunction and did the same thing as i expierenced now and i didn't even do anything with it(flashing or overclocking),so what to do??
    I see you flashed it with the bios i used, i hope you have more luck

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  15. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

Did you set the NiBiTor "A" timing of the 5950u bios to "64", leaving it at "3" will put greater stress on your memory, and can thus cause artifacts.

And after a lot of testing, I found the MSI5950u bios to be best all round performer with my Aopen 5900nu card; with the BFG5950u bios coming a close second !

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004

16. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

oeps i read "B" AND "F" timings, i did set ''A" to 64 tho got to do that again then, but it seems that its a bit to much to handle for my poor XT, benchmarking is good, playing bfv is also no problem you can really notice that it's improved, even on morrowind, but when i saw the "artifacts" i really thought for a moment i had screwed up the card.

17. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Flashed it back to an XT, the temp wouldn't get over 40 degrees even at 100% usage, and it should be around 60 then.
    so now i got myself a club 3d fx 5900 non ultra bios modded it to the memory timing settings of an XT with NiBiTor also changed the "A" settings to 64 (as with the 5950) and flashed it with that, seems to work great overclocked it a bit and it runs @ 445/850 by 50 degrees and +/- 60 degrees at full load

5211 Points in 3DMark03

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  18. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Why would you want to use or stick with a modified 5900nu bios at 445/850, when you already posted that a modified 5950u bios gave more speed and performance ??

19. bountyrai

bountyrai Guest

Because a XT isn't an 5950Ultra, and it never will be.
    I just think that it won't last long at that speeds(and because the temp sticks at 40 degrees).
    I don't know how much a 5950U scores in 3DMark03, i think its a lot more then 5500 points, if i see how much your card scores i think its better to try something else.
    And an 5900NU lies closer to an XT then an 5950U,so i thought lets try that,and its still better performance, maybe not as much as with the modified 5950U bios, but it gets at least its temps it should, thats the reason why i did it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
  20. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    No matter what bios you use, the only things that are important is that your card runs stable at whatever speeds you chose, and it doesn't get too hot. And by too hot, I mean if you can keep it below 75-80c !!