Flashing Cards. People still have problems. This might help.

Discussion in 'Links' started by Chouji, Jan 11, 2004.

1. ICE29

ICE29 Guest

Thermal sensor is not a locked feature, your card simply must have it, you cant add it by flashing a BIOS...
    So I think you wont have auto-overclock on your Asus.

2. NickNack

NickNack Guest

Flashing a prolink FX5900.

I have a Prolink FX5900 256mb.
    The card uses the reference design from NVidia.
    Here is my question:
    Should I flash using Nvdia bios, or Leadtek bios ?
    Anybody with this same card ?
    What bios did you succesfully flash to ?

Thanks

3. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    your choice really, nvidia reference bios's arent really the best choice as they havent been tweaked for best fan control ect..

so you can use leadtek, which is good for compatability.

or the really nice bfg bios which people including myself have fallin in love with..

4. NickNack

NickNack Guest

Thank you very much for this prompt reply.
    I will try the BFG bios and will post the results here.

Should I first flash to the BFG 5900nu then to the 5900u ?
    Or flash directly to BFG 5900u?

Thanks again.

5. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    no no, if you have 5900u then flash to 5950u, flashing to anything lower would be worse.

6. kwaihou

kwaihou Member

GPU:
    MSI FX5950 Ultra, MSI 6800 Ultra
  7. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    did you try both the bfg and msi bios? the bfg one seems pretty compatable with vivo.. but also try the msi bios, and possibly the gainward.

8. kwaihou

kwaihou Member

GPU:
    MSI FX5950 Ultra, MSI 6800 Ultra
    Thanks for the help, now the card can enable the VIVO using bfg BIOS

9. Booce

Booce New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT
    Okay, hoping Chouji has seen this before and can advise. I have read through the threads and don't see this problem anywhere else. I have a Gainward FX5900 xp1200 Golden Sample which I sucessfully flashed to a Gainward FX5950 Ultra Bios. Even managed to find one that has TV out working so I was very happy. Then I booted into windows (XP Pro) and installed the current drivers. Installed fine, but the card shows as a FX5900 in the drivers and not a 5950 Ultra. The flash has definately worked as when the machine boots, the bios displays 5950 Ultra. I've benched it with it's original bios and it's 5950U bios, and the results are about the same. I also installed the Gainward Expert tools util and that reports the 5950U flash as being a 5900. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Booce

10. amblin321

amblin321 Guest

Help me decide

Hey all

I have the Leadtek a350 lx card, the model that started all this talk off! It runs stock at 400/700, I had it up to 485/900 without trouble, but I cannot hit 950 with the ram with original bios.

Will the flash up the RAM volt to enable me to do this flash?

I def have the right card, perhaps the only 2.8ns one ideal for the flash.

I see many SE and xts hurting, but have read about lots of LX's work. Im just a wee bit nervous!

Also...

The link at Leadtek for the BIOS appears to have gone, showing only the a360 bios. Does anyone have the original zip for the A380, because that one has the PAL bios in it?

Cheers

11. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    leadtek uses good quality ram, so you should be ok. key word "should"

and booce, did you try any other bios's? i know the bios is hardcoded so even after flash the bios is hardcoded to nv35, but the programming in the bios is what matters.

try another bios, leadtek or bfg, even msi if you want.

dont be shy to give a few different bios' a try, you might find the perfect bios.

12. amblin321

amblin321 Guest

Thanks chouij, perhaps I "Should" try it.....

What would indicate a bad flash?

(Cup always half-empty here!)

Any idea on the a380.zip that had all 4 bioses pal and Ntsc...Leadtek have removed them

Thanks

13. amblin321

amblin321 Guest

Sorry!

PS: Am I good to go even though my a350lx (No vivo) has the 2.8ns ram?? Can you explain why Leadtek 2.8ns=good where others = pain??

Sorry I know, Im nervous!!

14. Booce

Booce New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GT
    Thanks for the quick response Chouji. So am I right in thinking the drivers should say 5950 Ultra once flashed and reinstalled? If so , I'll give your suggestion a go and try some other manufacturers' bios.

Thanks again,

Booce

15. Amadeus

Amadeus New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5900

kwaihou which exact BIOS did you use and got TV-OUT to work?

I have the exactly same card and have tried quite a few bioses and none worked with TV out.

Please send me the bios you used to : merove@softhome.net

THANX!

16. Mithur

Mithur New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT 256 RAM
    I can't reply before.

About the thermal sensor, I have read (I think it was in THG) that the thermal sensor comes with the GPU, but Asus locked it (Obviously in the BIOS). I suposse that, internally, it's still using for safeguard, but you can't get the data externally.

I have a pair of questions: All the FX GPU have internal thermal sensor? I suposse yes. So, the BIOS of a manofacturer, for the same GPU, will work for another manofacturer? Reading (Again) this forum I suposse yes, too.

But for me the Leadtek haven't work, I'd like to know, in your opinion, what is the best BIOS to try for a 5600NU (Asus). I don't want try with several BIOS and, like Chouji says in other post, break my Graphics for Overflashing xD.

Thanks.

17. Cioppo

Cioppo Guest

Got a Creative 3DBlaster!FX5900.
    Should it work or shouldn't it? 400/700 actually at 471/812 Mhz, No Video In, 128MB RAM, if that should matter.
    Which BIOS should i use? There's no Firmware on Creative's Website. Should i use the Leadtek ones, the reference ones, or which?

Sry for my stupid questions and my catastrophal english - but hey- I'm from Italy :)

18. dadash

dadash Active Member

GPU:
    6800GT @ Ultra
    You cant do a successfull Bios update with the Creative.
    It's really a MSI5900XT (Red PCB with a big copper coulored cooler) with Samsung 2.8 Memory which if your lucky will overclock to around 470/800.

Dont bother to waste your time flashing bios, the original one is the best one for your card and it's pretty fast as well. :)

19. Cioppo

Cioppo Guest

471/812 without any problems

I'll make a backup of the original Firmware and then just try it ;)

(I am the only fool with a 3DBlaster FX 5900, right? ^^)

20. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    ok i will just toss in the answers here, i dont feel like pointing out which question its replying too,

though cioppo, your using a SE.. and its a cheaper make and isnt good for flashing,

amblin321 its a matter of quality really. the ram used in the leadtek lx cards is very flexable as where other SE/XT cards have trouble.

thought people with 700mhz memoryspeeds should always try to keep their memory at about 900 tops, by underclocking once flashed. the lx cards just are a little better at it
    ------------------

Not all FX cards have temp sensors, pretty much the only ones that do are the 59x0 series, and possibly the 5700 series, the 5600series do not have the temperature sensor,

5600 series cards should be left alone with stock bios. changing it isnt going to help, you cant go from 5600 to 5600u unless you have the molex power connector, which the 5600nu's dont have.

video card flashing is aimed at the 5900series. mainly the non ultra, and ultra versions. not the lower grade ones SE/XT/LX.. however the LX is the best of the lower grade 5900s and can sometimes be flashed to 5950 with little or no memory underclocking