Flashback remake

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ghosty, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could be good if they do the original justice

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Looks pretty fine to me from the Eurogamer Let's Play video I saw a week or so back, which showed over 30 minutes of gameplay (might have been an hour, I forget now). The original game is included as an unlockable as well and it looks like the developers have managed to update the game without losing too much of the original's feel and atmosphere. The voice-acting is a bit so-so though. Will definitely be picking this game up as I have fond memories of the game on the Amiga (and Another World).

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Just checked out a couple of videos of gameplay footage, it looks very faithful to the original.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This, i still remember the day we loaded up Another World at my mates house back in 91. The Intro and gameplay blew us all away with its rotoscoping techniques which were revolutionary at the time. I did prefer Another world to Flashback tbh.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Looks interesting, I enjoyed the original but the sequel, Fade To Black, didn't do it for me.

I have already purchased the remake for Another World, this might be another necessary addition. To add, this version looks more like the kind of remake that you would expect given the long time frame since the initial release. Having said that, the remake to Another world was also constrained by the simplistic ingenuity of the original version, which was part of the artistic appeal of the original game.

Regardless, a game that really could have done with an actual remake would have been Final Fantasy 7. Still, I'm glad to have that in my Steam list, even with the MIDI sound - which I have already replaced, of course.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Fade to Black, on the PS1!!! That's the game I was trying to think of earlier! Thanks BlackZero. I really enjoyed that game, especially as it was fully 3D.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I really wanted to enjoy it too, Darren Hodgson, but the 3D implementation was what made me turn away from that game. At the time it felt too clunky and constrained the flow of the game.

9. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    The animation on the original was brilliant. The way the characters moved was brilliant. Looking at this footage of the remake, it just looks awful...

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I bet you would love a Turrican remake hey....?:)

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Turrican 2, definitely. I still listen to the music from that game every month. Chris Huelsbeck was a musical maestro, still is actually as I believe he did the music for Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. He also did the score for the unreleased in the UK The Great Giana Sisters on the Amiga, a blatant Super Mario Bros. rip off, which I actually owned a pirate copy of. I was much younger then though.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah I agree about the Music. Turrican games were as hard as nails to complete without cheats. I had the original Giana sisters on the C64, i went out and bought it straight away for a cool £9.99 way back in 87/88 but it got pulled from the shelves shortly after. The same goes for Katakis around the same time which was a blatant rip off of R-Type and was pulled from the shelves also, slightly changed and renamed Denaris and re-released if my memory serves me correctly.

It was 25+ years go and it seems like only couple year back. It just goes to show how fun gaming was back then as the memories (dates, prices, review ratings etc) are etched into my brain forever. Nowadays loads of supposedly good games come out and are forgotten shortly after they are released. Like you say we were much much younger then which contributes greatly to the fun factor:)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Love them both, but Flashback is in my top 3 games ever (with M&MVI and Black Crypt), I swear I could play it blindfolded still. Flashback is a massive game for me and I'm afraid no remake will do it justice for me. Man, nostalgia kicking in, those games were so good though! I lived Flashback for so many countless hours! No games will grab me like games did 20 years ago though, shame :(

Just watched that YouTube vid and yeah, it just doesn't work for me, I'd much rather play the original with a tear coming from my eye and a massive grin on my face.

Edit: Turrican 2 music, so good! Huelsbeck = genius

14. DiEgO

DiEgO Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II
    aaaw is nice to know that is so much love to Flashback!

Exactly my feelings.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah agree,dont forget Dungeon Master Eclap:).....Nostalgia is a powerful thing and can unlock powerful emotions in Retro-heads. That screenshot from above looks like mid way through the game where you enter the gameshow part and need to survive, a bit like the Running man with Arnold Schwarzznegger. I never got that far on the original as disk 3 had bad sectors even when i tried to fix them. Good days indeed:)

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back were great, but they just don't make my top 3, DM would most likely be in my top 5 games though. Ah you never finished FB back in the day? That's a shame. Imo the atmosphere in FB was so so good. I might check out this remake still, but if it starts ruining the good memories of the original game, I'll stop playing :)

17. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    So true! Gaming was a much more hard core experience back then, I am so glad I got to experience it.

18. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    I had the 3DO version of Flashback. Man, that game was fun. This one looks pretty good too.

19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    It looks good in my opinion, and seems to be faithful to the original.

Looking at the video (the YouTube one) it also reminds me of the Sega Genesis version of the first Jurassic Park due to the thick and lush vegetation. Actually I wouldn't mind a remake of that version of JP now that I'm thinking about it. I also liked the birds-eye view SNES version of JP but I never managed to complete that one, I think I preferred the Genesis version overall.

But, anyway back to Flashback, it looks good and and I'll keep an eye on it for sure!

20. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    i cant wait will bring back some childhood memories