Flagship Intel Skylake-S Core i7-6700K CPU gets benchmarked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Clawedge, May 28, 2015.

1. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    Its decoding only, that's all I'm seeing on that page

Skylake has HEVC encoding apparently. If it doesn't I'm just going to get a Haswell-E

2. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I kinda forget that most X58 motherboards don't have USB 3 and SATA 3.

If mine did not I think i would have upgraded already.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070/ RX580/ 780Ti
    Other than simply having the upgrade bug, is anyone that's running a Sandy Bridge i5/i7 (or newer) actually feeling let down by their CPU for anything? Seems like once you're running one of those, you're golden for gaming and multi-tasking. Even my son's i7 860 is still perfectly fine for heavy gaming.

I'd love to see a new processor series from AMD that runs efficient (both power-wise and computationally) and just mops the floor with the FX series. It doesn't need to crush Intel to light a fire under their butt too but I wouldn't mind seeing Intel get a good drubbing again.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I have no need to do anything. My 2600k at 4.8Ghz does everything I ask of it.

5. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Even with my Westmere (just before Sandy Bridge) based 6core/12thread CPU only running at 3GHz I still don't reach 25% CPU usage in most any game I play.

Encoding High quality videos takes time, as it would on any current CPU too.
    I've no reason to upgrade to anything for any reason other than saving electricity and heat, don't feel I would find differences particularly noticable without a benchmark to tell me there is a difference in use.

Though my CPU can do 4GHz I mostly run it at 3GHz because very little needs more speed, cept the afore mentioned video encoding sessions.
    (Don't need to add unecessary heat to my room in summer too ;) )

Though I would add I will never go back to less than 6 cores again. Just makes such a difference even over high clocked 4 core i7's.

I am personally hoping AMD's Zen will provide me with a temping way to add monies to their war chest.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Beautiful isnt it?

Easily the best cpu I've purchased.. SB rocks.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes I did there is nothing about encoding only decoding. Can you point me to it in there as I checked your link and the link within the thread?

8. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    I need the upgrade for encoding

But at this rate it looks like I'm just going to get a Haswell-E

9. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    It's almost like people here cannot wait to rip apart their rigs, spend hours tweaking, and also spend about 600-1000 on a new setup just for kicks and giggles. I mean, we pretty much knew that Sandy Bridge was going to be the paradigm shifter way back when. It'll be a while before we get something that changes the game again.

Until games start utilizing all these CPUs we have correctly I really don't care.

And no thanks to the massive overhauls. I just cleaned out my PC and put a new HDD in. I don't even want to touch this thing besides the inevitable 1070 or 1080. I'm glad I don't see anything I need.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  10. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Kind of to be expected in an enthusiasts forum.

11. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Yeah well for what? What do people want here? Developers aren't even using what we got fully. I understand if you have a bunch of cash lying around.... then you should be already buying the next best thing. If you are going to be picky I wouldn't really call that enthusiast; I call that budget-style thinking. And we will go two more gens before the budget-style thinkers will be impressed more than likely. Possibly three lol.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

I do not hence i still on this 920, last computer i put together 8 months ago, for my uncle got the itch going only to hit wall of issue and bad parts and multiple rma's ,instantly but end to any notions i had to remaking my pc.

every 5 or so years i spend like 500$ on new MB/RAM/CPU, i coming up on the 5 year mark for this build. still not looking forward to building it though.

13. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I'm looking forward to the idea of it as much as anyone, the upgrades not the work and cash to get there, but I just don't have the money atm and I'm pretty damn satisfied with what I got.

With a lot of devs aiming for console CPUs I'm not sure what kind of games are going to require super massive ones but the likes of large player FPS and open world games with poor optimization. Once Witcher 3 gets going and we get some new drivers and patches that game should be running well for all of us. The next best thing I think is kinda far off. Like when the consoles upgrade again is when I am thinking about a new CPU in my rig. Otherwise eesh I can't be bothered going through the process, though, I'm not as inclined as some to tear things apart.

14. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    Ordered a 5820K. I only paid $50 more than I would have paid for with skylake and I got much more CPU horsepower for it

FYI - This really feels like a kick in the teeth from Intel. Two years to a CPU release and barely 5% score increase? Screw that matey.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    I know right? 4 years and still going strong, especially considering the absurd overclocking potential.

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    My CPU was made in 2008, literally one of the 1st of it's type, and still going Strong lol

Though partly because it was very early silicon it has no interest in being stable much beyond 4GHz, but then does not really need to so much either. Not a bad OC from it's stock 2.6GHz either :)

Think I am gonig to take my own advice and keep an eye open for a Cheap X5680 or 90 on ebay as it will have that much a better resale value later than my current one anyway so overall I won't lose much on the upgrade.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  17. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Only reason I'd upgrade my CPU right now is to speed up Bluray ripping and encoding, taking 4 hours to reduce a file by 400 mb and code in subtitles is a little bit annoying.

18. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    iirc intel in past mention that mainstream line up will only have 4cores
    and 6+ cores only available in for enthusiast & server lineup

seeing current pc market, seems there wont going to change
    as most mainstream pc getting compact (most people even using tablet nowdays) so rather than add cores, intel going to improve the SOC graphic-core

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    This is true, and with Core M Intel really stepped up IPC performance!

20. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    guess i should stay with my 2600k until it burns and die