Flagship Intel Skylake-S Core i7-6700K CPU gets benchmarked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Clawedge, May 28, 2015.

1. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR New Member

GPU:
    680M @ 1043 Mhz
    Too soon to judge. We need to know how much OC headroom there is here. Also, Skylake as a platform is still compelling. It will a great time to hop on board PCIe I/O, USB3.1, Win10, DX12, big Maxwell, all at the same time.

2. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti
    I want to see some 2600k vs 6700k stuff. I really want to upgrade to a new CPU for DDR4 but if it is only going to be 5 to 10%, I might as well stay on my 2600k @ 4.8ghz. I do do some video editing but not much. I mainly game at 1080p. However My TV that I use as my screen is 4k so I wonder if that would help more with a newer cpu. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    For those with the upgrade itch but not overly impressed who own an X58 chipset.... Go Xeon ^^

You can pick up an Intel Xeon X5680 or the even cheaper X5675 for only about $100 with a much better multi than my old X5650 which should allow for even easier OCing. Should be able to fairly easily hit 4.4GHz or so and get the luxury of 6 cores and 12 threads.

Task Manager never looked so good xD <- easily pleased I admit!

Pretty much never seen my CPU go over 20% in any game yet.

Apart from that I am pinning my hopes of lower leccy bills on Zen to pry me away from this old chip!

4. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    well ive just ran my ivy-bridge @ 4.6 and get a score of 9.11 multi core, so i don't see much point to upgrade to skylake atm, i will just keep spanking my i7 :)

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yeah, that's fair.. and I think this is why you get people like myself who are waiting for a significant reason to upgrade.

IMO if Intel were smart, they would focus not only on the mobile market, but on their enthusiast market as well. Technically though, I also understand why they may feel that they don't need to.. AMD isn't pushing them to at all.. so..

6. red6joker

red6joker Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Well hopefully next year when AMD finally puts out their new chips the competition will be back and there will be better performance increase. I am not holding much faith in AMD currently (CPU wise atleast) and seeing how things play out next year will be interesting.

7. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    Isn't this supposed to be two generations newer than the 4790k? They kinda screwed up Broadwell I suppose, but 5% or so in two generations is really just a joke. Why even bother releasing new products that often when it'll take 10 years to reach far less than a 100% improvement?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    We lucky we get any gains performance wise, they have no competition period, AMD bad joke at this point (cpu performace wise), we can only hope AMD "Zen" or what ever they calling it that a year or 2 out? isnt just paper fluff, till Intel has reason to show us huge gains they probably wont do it, special when there current stuff still sells and still out performance the competition. cause from profit stand point there wouldnt be reason too

No competition = main reason we dont see those huge gains we used too, that or they hit some wall.

I firmly believe when AMD pull there head out of there asses and makes CPU worth damn that can put heat on Intel performance wise, we wont see huge gains.

9. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    At the very end of the day though , there isn't going to be any point in upgrading our rigs , until the the console market are upgrading their machines that's if we are only using them for gaming which i do , ok fine we now have 4k monitors becoming more popular, but most of that comes down to GPU anyway doesn't it .

10. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Same here, my i7 could do with a nice base clock bump as well as the increased performance of 4 refreshes, lower temps and power consumption. I'm mostly interested though in newer motherboard tech such as native SATA3 since my Sabertooth has Sata3 from an on board Jmicron chip which takes forever to start at boot. Along with USB3.0 which at present I only have 2 on the back on the X58 with no USB 3.0 headers and of course DDR4 support.

This won't be an upgrade for many but for us with the older i7's it's not looking too bad. I'd rather this than the Devils Canyons that are still pretty neat but why would I not want the latest iteration?

11. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega 64
    It's a family

Skylake comes with a new chipset which is also a part of the equation. Native Thunderbolt II support, DDR4 (primary benefit of ddr4 to many is the density). More USB ports, more sata express and M.2 interfaces, etc. etc. Evolutionary, not revolutionary for sure. But a good progression.

12. Hughesy

Hughesy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I was thinking about buying this CPU, but I think my money would be better spent on a second 980. I play at 1440p so need all the GPU power I can get, but then I'm also looking at getting a 1440p Gsync monitor. So much I want, so little money...

13. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    AMD is worth $187 mil, and Intel is worth $55.8 Billion so the reality is AMD can NEVER topple Intel, that have almost limitless amounts of money at it's disposable and spends more on R&D for their processors than what AMD's graphics and processor divisions is worth 5 times over.

The only people that can turn that around is the customers!

Fact even when AMD had the upper hand with their Athlon range Intel used antitrust and espionage against AMD to keep them down while they band aided Intel Centreno for desktop (intel Core Duo/Quad) preventing AMD from having any real impact on the Market despite their processors being better.

Even if the AMD Zen processor is double the performance of Intels offerings and priced less they will still have no impact at all since businesses will ALWAYS buy Intel no matter what.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    saw this @techpowerup few weeks ago

[​IMG]

kind of high voltage for just 4.15Ghz (103mhz bclk) and 14nm.. I can do 1.175v @ 4.5ghz. I think The DeeGee too:nerd:

Imo it will OC the same as 4790K, 4.6 -4.8ghz on avg.

15. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    Buying it cause I need a dedicated H256 hardware encoding capable unit and Nvidia's implementation sucks (Terrible actually) in terms of what you can do with H265 encoding on even the most minimal of settings.

That said, hopefully Intel gets off its ass and its flagship consumer CPU next gen at least has 6 cores.

16. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I wonder how much longer my 2700k will last. As i haven't seen any really impressive CPU's so far ( i guess that's what happens when there's no competition). I guess 4-5 more gen's, maybe even more.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Our igpu 4600 chips should have hw h265 support via driver, openCL 1.2 and some hvec intel plugin.
    check this thread for more info
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/544928

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^ That may be for decoding only and not encoding.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes, but did you clicked on that 1st link? someone wanted to use hvec encoding but had issues.. He fixed it in end.

20. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti