Fixing VRR Flickering for the LG C2 and other OLED / QD OLED Displays

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Blackfyre, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Edit - Does not solve ALL flickering, but most, explained below in the introduction:

This is a guide for the LG C2 42” – My Monitor – And how I solved most of the VRR flickering issues. Other LG C Series TV’s should be similar.

The idea is to limit the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) Range to 10Hz below the maximum refresh rate of the display to prevent flickering at the top end by preventing the frame rate from jumping above the maximum refresh rate of the display.

In the case of the LG C2, the default range is between 40Hz and 120Hz. This is different for other displays, and we will be limiting the LG C2 to between 40Hz and 110Hz.

However, I have discovered that unfortunately on the low-end of the spectrum, the flickering still occurs in very dark scenes. So if the FPS is lower than 40Hz to around 48Hz, there is no solution that resolves the flickering in that range.

Original Post:

This would not be possible without @OnnA and their thread. For other OLED or QD-OLED displays experiencing VRR Flickering, I recommend checking their thread below after reading this main post and understanding the basics:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/oled-qd-oled-qdel-mini-mla-microled-monitors-super-thread.442564/

Firstly, download Custom-Resolution-Utility (CRU) from here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Do at your own risk, and make sure you do not mess around with anything I am not mentioning in this thread as CRU is a powerful tool that might end up causing you issues. In a worst-case scenario, reboot to safe mode and reset all CRU settings. This is system dependent but if you cannot find an easy solution, then usually forcing a restart of the PC multiple times while it is booting will give you the troubleshooting screen that will allow you to boot to safe mode and reset all CRU settings, or use a program called Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstall GPU drivers completely.

Let’s begin – From the Display Settings, you should be already in Game Mode and both Freesync Premium and G-Sync are enabled.

Under nVidia Control Panel there should be a G-Sync section indicating the G-Sync is already enabled.

upload_2024-1-25_11-43-38.png

Once the above is done. Make sure first you are running at 4K (3840 x 2160) and 120Hz, as well 32 Bit, RGB, and 10 Bit. No harm in using 12 Bit like I am, but I don’t see any differences, as 10 Bit is the limits of the panel I believe. This should have already been done, otherwise you were using your LG C2 under the wrong configuration this whole time.

Read all the instructions between the images:

upload_2024-1-25_11-25-50.png

Run CRU as Administrator and follow the instruction below.

The first step is basically to add a Custom Refresh Rate of 115Hz to the 4K Resolution, this will become our maximum refresh rate instead of the default 120Hz above. We'll be using 115Hz instead of 120Hz to create the limit we talked about earlier.

upload_2024-1-25_11-26-29.png

Once the above is complete and you have clicked OK on all the Windows and gone back to the main CRU Window, we will then change the VRR Range in both sections below (order doesn't matter, you can do the right side first, then bottom side). This is where we limit the VRR Range from 40Hz to 110Hz

upload_2024-1-25_11-35-20.png

After the above is all complete, press OK on all Windows and OK on the main CRU Window too. Restart the PC and you should now be able to select the 115Hz option instead of 120Hz.

I will say it again here, RESTART THE PC after you complete all the CRU steps so the 115Hz shows up in the nVidia Control Panel.

You are now ready to go. Enjoy a flicker free G-Sync experience.

upload_2024-1-25_11-44-22.png

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  2. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    I'm very interested in this as I own an AW3423DWF and while the monitor is an absolute blast under every aspect, VRR flickering is bugging me just as it did on my previous VA panel.
    Question is, this panel defaults at 165Hz and I would like an explanation for the need to create a 5Hz-lower resolution before editing VRR. Shouldn't it be sufficient to simply set VRR range from 48Hz to 155Hz (default on this monitor is 48-165) thus remaining 10Hz below native frequency?
    Thanks for any clarification.

EDIT: on my previous monitor I fixed VRR flickering by greatly reducing the range the other way around, namely raising the minimum. I went from 48-144 to 120-144.
    I didn't notice any adverse effects on frame rates while using Freesync with this range.
    This was on a ASUS VG34VQL1B which btw had awful inverse ghosting.

One thing I noticed on the AW3423DWF is that EDID modifications through CRU result in the monitor not being detected by Alienware Command Center.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    signex likes this.
  3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    GAH! I can't wait to try this when CRU is able to work with Samsung S90C. For now it just doesn't really show anything so I can't change anything. Seems to be a known issue and the CRU creator says it can be fixed, but Nvidia will need to change something. Thanks for the guide!

Blackfyre likes this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Read OP in OLED thread for more info.
    -> https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/oled-qd-oled-qdel-mini-mla-microled-monitors-super-thread.442564/

Explanation:
    The problem is that, the signaling goes beyond safe bounds thus flicker/strobing occurs (My monitor is 240Hz so im assuming that value 230Hz is safe and in-bounds).
    Tweak is about to have much safer Signal Out of bounds margin of 10Hz.

signex and Blackfyre like this.

5. ravensergio

ravensergio New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Hi. I came here from the LG C2 thread on avs. Is this still applying if i use 2560x1440? Also, I want to go default to 60 hz. Sadly, i tried adding a custom resolution 2560x1440 60Hz in Cru, and after restart nvidia still sees only 120Hz and 100Hz in that resolution. I did the VRR steps anyway, will seee how it goes, I am gonna keep 2560x1440 at 100Hz and limit fps in nvidia Control panel. Thank You.
    Edit. I made a custom 2560x1440 65Hz in Cru and that showed in Nvidia Control panel, that is great.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Uh, why? 60Hz is a bad idea with VRR. Always use the highest Hz you can and then limit FPS to 60 if you want 60FPS.

signex likes this.
  7. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Out of curiosity why are you running 1440p at 60Hz or 65Hz with an LG C2?

8. ravensergio

ravensergio New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Honestly, 60 fps is enough for me, I tend to crank the highest quality in games ( like Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy, RDR2 etc), so my 3080 doesn't cry cause 100 fps is a no go for her in these cases, I also don't play competitive games or fast paced car games, so is enough for now, at least until I buy a better card.
    As for the resolution, I am a couch user and my tv is 55 inch, so 4k has too small lettering from my viewing distance ( High dpi doesn't always work well for some programs), so 1440p is a perfect balance from the distance I am watching.

I tried that, and limiting my fps with nvidia control panel, but some games I see that I get micro stutters for some reason( Like Witcher 3 Oldgen). I am not stuck on using 65Hz at all times anyways, since I use ColorControl and is just a mouse shortcut away that i switch between 120 Hz and 65Hz in this case.
    Thanks for responding.

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Fair enough @ravensergio but why not use DLSS at 4K for example, which will give you the sharpness of the native resolution, with the performance of the lower resolution.

Also look into this mod below which allows you to bring FSR3 Frame Generation to use with nVidia DLSS, essentially giving you similar performance lift of DLSS3 Frame Generation which for nVidia is exclusive to the 4000 series without this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/738?tab=description

You could enjoy the best of both worlds. Great performance of the lower resolution while keeping the sharpness of 4K.

signex and OnnA like this.
  10. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Thank you. I created a 155Hz custom resolution and changed freesync range to 48-145. VRR flickering improvement was minimal if not absent.
    I'm getting much better results by raising the minimum value. I went back to native 165Hz resolution and changed freesync range to 90-165. Improvement in this case is evident with hardly any flickering in game menus, but I wonder if the reduced range can hinder VRR efficacy. To be honest I haven't noticed any performance degradation thus far.

OnnA likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I've seen a number floating around about the range, but I forget what it was. I think it was 2.5? That is, the range's max should be at least 2.5 times of what the min is. So for 165Hz, that means a range of 66-165. This gives LFC more breathing room.

I have to say though, for a display that costs that much, having the VRR not work correctly is just inexcusable.

12. ravensergio

ravensergio New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Thanks, but the problem I have in 4 k is mostly NOT games, but, as I am also using it as a work monitor, and the DPI changes in some programs is wierd ( forced larger fonts look blurry in some etc), 4k looks worse in that regard , so 1440 feels ok. Also from my distance, since my pc is tucked behind my tv and i am @ 2.2 meters away I don't see the need for better res.
    I also know about that DLSS3 Frame Gen mod, I used it in Cyberpunk, that is why I also said that I change my refresh rate via ColorControl, depending on my needs. Sidenote here:
    I love LG btw for the easiest integration with its api and stuff, its integration is great that it lets You change everything from external commands etc (using its integration is some ahk script, Home Assistant, ColorControl).
    Great tips anyways, thanks for taking the time to respond! ( Sorry about my English though ).

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It's not the case with FS IMhO.
    It's always that rule: LFC (low frame compensation) means that when You have set like me 24FPS min. when FPS goes 23 and lower it kicks in and double it to 46FPS visible.
    You can set it even at 10 ;) but it's no point, cuz less than 30 is not too good to look at :p

General rule for IPS was to go at 32 and top at +2FPS of max.
    OLED is different tho. You just need those safe bounds like in my Tweak.

I can't notice the diff. between 240 or 230Hz.... but 4Hz of safe bouns should be Ok
    On my OLED 238Hz was a no go - flicker still, so i go for very safe rute of -10Hz.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    signex likes this.
  14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Not sure what you mean here though. 24 sounds like you have the max even higher than 2.5x the min.

signex likes this.
  15. dasedoc

dasedoc New Member

GPU:
    Doesn't completely fix LG's issue but it is almost unnoticeable with this modification. Unless you are really looking for it, it's hard to notice the flicker. Thanks!

OnnA likes this.

16. nFlikt

nFlikt New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I want/plan to try this on my AW3423DWF but can someone explain how or why this work?
    Doesn't make sense to me when everything is already set within the correct ranges.

Also I need to test more games but i only seem to get flickering in Escape From Tarkov. No issues at all in Helldivers 2. So does it come down to the game and the fact that EFT is an optimized mess?

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ How to is here for C2 or similar but the whole idea is the same for any OLED.
    Also read in OLED + RoG 27" thread.

You should get the picture right ;) (pun intended :D)

18. BlackFireHawk

BlackFireHawk Active Member

GPU:
    6800xt
    Does Nvidia(Displayport) even use the Freesync metadata Block for the VRR Range ?

I thougt Nvidia uses the horizontal and vertical Range Limits (under CRU - EDIT)

Some Display have only a range on the vertical and Not on the horizontal range

19. BlackFireHawk

BlackFireHawk Active Member

GPU:
    6800xt
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 001821.png

as you can see only the Vrate has a range..
    i also have seen displays where both had ranges

(EDIT) even after deleting the Freesync Datablock i still have VRR/g-sync Compatible on my DWF OLED (confirmed via Display OSD)

and even adjusting the Vrate Range does work (testet 80-165)

but when i adjust only the Freesync Datablock.. for example 80-165.. it dosnt work at all.... i still see VRR from 48-165

so i can clearly see that my RTX4080 totaly ignores the Freesync Datablock
    dont know about the HDMI2x datablox couse iam using DP.. but i asume nvidia still ignores the Freesync datablock

maybe adjusting hrate does the trick..(my DWF is perfekt without VRR flickering.. so i cant test that)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    instead of make new topic about i fiqure I ask my question here seeing related to VRR flicker, I know some Monitor have Flicker when VRR is enabled but to my understanding that cause the 120fps maybe be going over the 120hz container at random?

If if so hypothetically if one to was frame cap to say 100 or 60 fps would flicker with VRR stop? or the problem actual HZ setting?