Fixing Micro-Stuttering in Fifa 13, 14, 15...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Blackfyre, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hello Everyone:

I have had a few people ask me how I fixed the "Micro-Stuttering" issue for Fifa 15.

With these settings, for me; micro-stuttering significantly decreases (you could say by about 95%). The one occasional lag-spike that occurs for half a second once every 20 to 40 minutes isn't something I could fix. Maybe AMD could look into that, as I am sure it's a driver issue.

You need RadeonPro installed and setup (so that it works for both 32-Bit and 64-Bit games), you don't need SweetFX, but I highly recommend it, as I will post up the settings I use for that too to make the game look a ton of times sharper and more lively; I am talking about SweetFX Setup through RadeonPro (you can use mine below, go to RadeonPro Settings and use the folder below as the SweetFX Folder, it also contains the SweetFX Profile that we will edit later).

Mega LINK for my SweetFX Folder
    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Before Editing any RadeonPro Settings you MUST Run the game launcher through Origin, click on Game Settings and make sure you have Frame Rate set to "No Limit on FPS", and under it TICK (Disable Windows Aero Theme).

Also Make SURE you have Origin-In-Game disabled for Fifa 15 from Origin's settings, if you want to purchase Fifa Points for Fifa Ultimate team, you should disable RadeonPro, close it, and enable origin in game, make your purchases, open your packs, then proceed to disable origin and re-enabling RadeonPro

ALSO: As a side note, I don't have RadeonPro starting UP with Windows, I disable it from RadeonPro settings, I run it before I play the games that use RadeonPro. Having it in Windows Startup causes issues for RadeonPro for ME.

For RadeonPro Settings: (TAB Names are in BOLD Below, under them are the settings you need to modify)

Visual:

FXAA - Set to ULTRA, and Tick (Enable) "Use Green as Luma".

Anisotropic Filtering - Tick (Enable) and Choose 8x.

Tessellation Control - Tick (Enable) and Choose "Force Off" on the Slider.

Vertical Sync Control - Tick (Enable) and Slide to "Always On".

Advanced:

Tick ALL FIVE Options on TOP:

Slide Texture Filtering Quality and Mipmap Quality both to High Quality.

Tick (Enable) Texture LOD and Set it to -1.5

Tick (Enable) Flip Queue Size and Set it to 1

Tweaks:

Direct3D Tweaks:

V-Sync Control SET to Always On.

Tick (Enable) Triple-Buffering and SET (Type) Display Refresh Rate to 120 Hz.

Under Anti-Aliasing Compatibility Force and Choose the Profile for Gothic 3.

Under Misc Tweaks: Tick (Enable) Disable Aero & Force Process High Priority

Under Spoof Video Adapter ID:

Tick (Enable) and Choose nVidia as the Vendor, and type GTX 680 as the device name. Click Search.

SweetFX:

Tick (Enable) SweetFX

At the bottom click IMPORT Settings - Choose the Assassins Creed Profile from the .RAR File I included ABOVE:

Now Once ADDED, we need to tweak a few settings: (click on and edit the values, and make sure they remain ticked, sometimes clicking on an effect un-ticks it)

- LumaSharpen and change Sharp_Strength to 2.5
    - Vibrance and change Vibrance to 0.3
    - Tick (Enable) both BLOOM and HDR and change HDRPower to 1.15 & Radius2 to 0.85

OverDrive:

WARNING: Be careful what you do here, this is the overclocking section, you don't want to accidentally overclock if you don't usually overclock.

Tick (Enable) both Graphic OverDrive and Always USE Highest Performance Clocks While Gaming.

Your default clocks should all be chosen, no need to change them (except PowerTune isn't ticked, and if you use PowerTune settings you need to redo them here for your overclocked speeds if you overclock).

Click Apply Changes.

Reminder: MOST of these settings were aesthetic settings (aka for looks) but I'm sure many of you will agree that you will now enjoy a new Fifa experience, especially with the SweetFX settings I've provided.

PS: Most of these settings are done for my current VIDEOCARD, don't expect these settings to give you 60+ FPS consistently on anything inferior to a HD7970 (280x). Alternatively, those with superior videocards can increase the settings in the visual section to their liking.

- Hope this helps those who are having issues. Feedback would be appreciated. Good luck.

EDIT #1:

• IF you're having Input-Lag Issues with your controller, scroll down to POST #23 below (you can see the post number on the top-right corner of every comment/post) and read the entirety of the post.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. d0X

d0X Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    Nice long post, but probably the most important options for stutter reduction are:
    That's what I was using since FIFA 11 or 12, first with D3DOverider, later with RadeonPro. It's stupidly amazing they still don't have that solved in the game.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    EA Mate, EA. Must I say more? I don't think so... Haha

Yeah same, I've been doing the same since Fifa 12. Prior to that I used to be a WE/PES guy for over a decade and always hated Fifa (until 2009 when Fifa first showed promise and PES/WE began to decline). Every year since I've switched to Fifa I've hoped Konami step their game up but they keep stepping down.

Edit: Virtu MVP was useful with Fifa 13 & 14

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  4. Zundur

Zundur New Member

GPU:
    R9 280
    I set up this settings. When i open the game, it says "WARNING: Forced triple-buffering requested but could not be applied". It's the same for you? Btw activating vsync with radeon pro give me little input lag, how can i fix it?

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Is it really necessary to spoof the card? Does it have an impact on the game? I'm quite curious.

6. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    No, are you sure you're not applying "Use advanced D3D9 force triple-buffering code path" in the tweaks section (which you shouldn't enable), because I remember that message being associated with that...

As for input-lag, play around with flip-queue-size in the advanced section, use driver default or 0 and see if input lag improves. I have it set to 1 as that's the least amount of input lag I get with the game (for me). You could alternatively run the game's v-sync by forcing 60 FPS instead of "No Limit" from the game's setting. But corners, goal-kicks, free-kicks and the such get locked to 30FPS as a result (instead of 60FPS).

I cannot say if it's placebo or not, but the lag-spike occurs less often I think when spoofing to nVidia, compared to when not (which could mean the game favours nVidia GPU's). But I'm not 100%, not even 70% sure, it just feels like it, but like I said it could be placebo.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Since you've got RadeonPro on it, can't you run a benchmark run from a replay and compare? This would be very very interesting indeed.

8. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I've always wanted to do that but I don't think there's a "fair" way of doing it. Every game is different, if I choose the same two teams and let them verse each other, I could benchmark one game and one team could play defensive, then benchmark with the same teams the second game and the tactics change randomly. This wouldn't be an issue if the camera was locked but during "replays" of incidents that happen in the game, GPU usage significantly increases. There's no way of regulating how a game could be played so there's no way of doing it fairly in my opinion (thus leaving whoever there is that benchmarks the game to manipulate results to how they please; which is wrong).

Unless someone can come with a way to replicate the exact same 20 minutes scenario? (I thought about making the game two players and forcing the players NOT to move at all by not touching either controller, but in such a situation not much would happen really).

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    They said from a replay.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    What do you/they mean? Apologies for my misunderstanding. You can't be talking about in-game replays for goals and such (they're neither long enough, nor are they how they used to be, they're videos now, once 'recorded').

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Ahh, I thought maybe because it's on a PC you had less restrictions like that. Sorry :)

12. xeltic

xeltic Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Just get radeon pro and set render ahead limit to 1

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Where would that be?

14. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    he means flip-queue

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's a pity.

Does that even work?

16. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    If they're talking about flip queue size, I use that solely to control input lag from the controller to the monitor (I found lower values give less input lag). But again it's something very minimal. I don't know how this could be used for benchmarking purposes.

17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    render ahead = max pre-rendered frames for nvidia and for amd = flip que size

18. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    You've done like 20 different things and then tell others to do all of these things. There's too many factors and I bet you that only one of the changes you made actually help. OpenGL Vsync, Texture LOD, Radeonpro's FXAA and SweetFX won't do anything for "Fixing Micro-Stuttering". FlipQueueSize is D3D9 only. You should benchmark each change individually.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  19. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm sorry, I thought about different ways of saying this and trying to sugar coat it, but you're a tool. I took the time to write this up for those who want to appreciate it; and I'm fine with criticism or advice. But your negative comment is absolutely stupid, especially when in the original post I clearly state that most of these settings are for aesthetic purposes (aka for looks) and have nothing to do with the performance, but rather to give those who want to try these settings a whole new, and in my opinion a worthy, experience (I'm fine if someone tries them and tells me; "hey I didn't like how the game looked and turned Sweet FX off" or "I preferred this profile, you should give it a try").

Also I'm not telling others to DO these things. I'm telling them if they want to experience Fifa the way I experience Fifa (lag-free and looks great), they can go ahead and do these things. I hope in one way or another these settings helped some people who were experiencing issues with the game. Knowing EA, we'll probably need to do these settings again when Fifa 16 is released.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  20. Vbs

Vbs Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Just my 2ยข: :)

• Crossfire AFR already has the triple-buffering beneficial effect (actually, it's even better), so triple-buffering should be disabled for crossfire users.
    • Limiting input lag can be accomplished by limiting game framerate to monitor refresh rate minus one, e.g. for a 60Hz monitor, 59 fps. Vsync should be left enabled (and also triple-buffering, depending on case).