Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mott, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jdc2389

jdc2389 Member Guru

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Whatever argue the semantics, it's not meant to be broken, I have no such framedrops on 1607 ltsb. This is still an issue since 7/11/2017, memory management is actually broken and won't clear space automatically like 1607 ltsb does. Maybe they'll have it fixed for 1809.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It does feel like the OS degrades in performance over 3 - 4 days of uptime but that's usually the case with Windows and more processes and scheduled tasks running and memory accumulating.
    For this the intent far as I know is to have Super-Fetch also work as a cache which tries to fill empty and unused memory but it's mapped as being replaceable so if needed such as starting some other game it gradually gets emptied out and replaced.

But it will usually always fill up as much as it can with total RAM usage being close to the max available and it's not unloading it but keeping it filled until another software requests memory and gradually replaces the older data.
    Probably already mentioned here that are tools for viewing what that data is and to force unload it but that just causes the super-fetch process to run again and cache any existing prefetch tasks into memory.
    (I do wish it was more flexible though but unused memory is wasted memory so even if it's mostly filling those 16 GB I'm using with data from some 60+ GB game as best as can be done it's at least used for something.)
    (Superfetch itself can be set to just work on boot, on applications or per default on both as can prefetch but unless superfetch is disabled the cache function itself will engage regardless and see RAM being filled with data.)

EDIT: The latest cumulative RS4 update does actually have a fix specifically mentioning degraded performance from a function though so it might be a bit better but I wouldn't expect too much from that, a reboot a week or so tends to be the best for keeping the system performance at peak, just the way the system works I guess for better or worse.
    (Even if you keep the computer on most of the time.)

Though I haven't seen gradual game performance decreases but the OS definitively gets a bit more bogged down after a few days.
    (Though that might be mainly from being GPU limited and CPU and RAM comes into their role less drastically outside of loading more data or the few times CPU actually gets pushed more heavily in some of the recent games capable of scaling to 8 - 16 cores or beyond effectively.)

EDIT: Though it could probably be improved further, haven't heard anything about RS5 / 1809 changing this though but then again RS4 and RS5 too doubt has a lot of changes not covered by the release note highlights.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no changes to standby cache purge latency in RS5

4. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    damn, sometimes i want to go back to win 8.1 was the best for me and for what i use and do (not only gaming) but sadly can't since Im super lazy to reinstall all my 3d and editing software with all the plugins and on top of that im purchasing a 2080ti so i will hard locked to 10., some software like blender still has issues with 10, (glad blender 2.8 is coming out soon)'.

This standby cache issues has the most impact in production for example when you bake something on blender, like a fluid animation or dynamic paint, it's fine if you have a good cpu, you can game and everything until the bake is done, but since im baking with high resolutions i takes long time and when i left my pc alone baking while i sleep or do anything else , and when i wake up back to it just to see a lag fest, cant even game since the sttutering is great. And not even all the cpu or ram or vram is used.

This only happens of course after the creator update and was like that since then, and is hard for me to go back to an early windows verison because all the software i use has ton of plugins to install and is really hell to install a fresh so with all this crap, don't have time to do it, that's why i always do system recovery images if something happes, sadly i didn't do any after creator upgrade so i ****** up and im dealing with it since then, just need to reboot after the long bake is done and game or do anything at top performance, and i don't know why they want to force all that w10 gaming stuff, apparently windows is only for gamers now.

5. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GXT
    There was a thread on Reddit a few weeks ago that went into depth about how it isn't fixed yet and on some systems it causes minor to severe stuttering. The OP posted code for a batch file to setup a much more robust system of dealing with it which I will update the OP here with so all you need to do is run the batch file and it will do everything for you. Others have gone through the code and there is nothing malicious while it is a much better solution than the original one I provided.

Let me know how it works for you. I turned off the original task I setup for a while to see if I was experiencing any stuttering and didn't really notice much of a difference but asfter running this batch file I definitely noticed smoother gameplay which means I probably has minor stuttering and just sort of got used to it. I deleted my old task, ran this batch file with administrator rights and everything has been buttery smooth ever since.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Yeah, I just recently found that and did the same thing. Games seem to be pretty smooth, outside of issues with the actual engine of the game here and there. I can recommend at least trying it to see how things go.

7. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Master Guru

GPU:
    Not arguing semantics, correcting your mistake. It's not broken here. 'Clears space' automatically as intended. Fills up as intended. No stutters when it's 'full' and needs to reallocate.

Is there any evidence that this is actually broken? Like, I've had this problem, I've seen the stutter, I know what that looks like... It was a configuration problem on my end (read: I'd tweaked something I shouldn't have - specifically, I'd disabled supercache, and didn't have a pagefile -fine since remedying those things after a fresh install).
    Is there any evidence of allocating memory from the standby list causing unusual latency?

BlindBison and GSDragoon like this.
  8. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GXT
    Microsoft has acknowledged this as an issue and it is currently under the status of 'open issue' that is unresolved so I think it is safe to say that it is offically an issue.

Check out the Reddit post in the OP for more information.

BlindBison likes this.
  9. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060ti
    Thanks for looking into this. For all the things that are great about windows 10, there are such annoyances. Much appreciated.

10. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
    Source? I've seen people say that MS said this, but not MS. I've not seen the issue I referred to, in any MS documentation.

11. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
  12. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
    And that's why it's been happening for a year.

Anyone actually interested in trying to resolve this? Or are you happy to just blindly clear the standby list and point fingers at MS for no good reason?

13. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thank you for the update @Mott

14. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GXT
    I've definitely read people discussing it in finer detail with Microsoft engineers in the conversation so they know that it is an issue. What I took away from everything that I have read on the issue thus far, unfortunately, is that MS is more interested in adding features than squashing time consuming bugs so the issue does not have enough resources dedicating to fix it which means that it most likely will persist for some time. :(

@CaptaPraelium I think that you just need to stand down on this one because you seem to just want to argue for some reason and it isn't doing anyone any good. A lot of people are affected by this issue; all you have to do is google it to find countless threads of people talking about stuttering and the kernel memory leak while most of those people end up using some form of what I have posted in the OP to fix it. So, we know that lots of people (myself included) have issues with stuttering in their games on Windoows 10 and applying this fix takes away the stuttering completely for most people (like me) and at the very least reduces it a fair a bit. So, why argue? What are you trying to prove or disprove? What is your end here other than argue about something that is clearly a problem with an explanation and a fix for the time being which is most assuredly benefitting people. I think it would be prudent for you to just sit this one out if it isn't affecting you as you're taking up a lot of space in this thread and it is all just superfluous to those of us who are experiencing the problem and looking to fix it. I don't mean to be rude, I just need to be straight forward and ask you to please stop taking part in this thread as you are just wasting your time, which should be important to you, while you are also wasting our time (which you don't even need to consider in order to take my advice on this one). If you made it this far thanks for hearing me out and I hope to have constructive discourse with you in other threads. Happy gaming and have a good one!

Took me a few weeks to to update this thread with the script as I wanted to see if it was at least as good as the old method and since it seems to better... no problem! Also, thanks for the acknowledgement. I hope this new batch file helps you and many others find the smooth gaming bliss experience that we all seek! :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Dynarush_333 likes this.
  15. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GXT
    No stupid questions here so don't sweat it. The batch file sets up a task that you can see in the windows task scheduler so if you look at it you'll see that it starts on boot and runs continually while the computer is on. In short, you run the batch file with admin privileges once and you are sorted out for the duration of your current Windows 10 installation unless you decide to disable or delete the task in the scheduler. You can hit the windows key and type task then hit enter to see what it created and all the conditions contained within it if you are interested.

Dynarush_333 likes this.

16. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GXT
    Glad to be of service. Feel free to ask anything else whenever it comes up. Always willing to help!

17. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
    Everyone: Doing it wrong
    Smart guy: Hey guys let's apply logical thought patterns, use scientific method, find a real cause of this rather than an incredibly loose correlation, define the problem so we can fix it for real, and pass the information to MS so they can help everyone.
    I did it, and I think you can do it too. Here's some tests that help.
    Everyone: STOP ARGUING WITH US

LOL, OK I will. Enjoy your batch file, lol.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If you want I can take Mott`s script and turn it into Windows service which will monitor memory usage and do the cleaning. I suspect this workaround in the form of system service should have less impact on performance (and resources).

Update: Btw I can add the monitoring of starting (and closing) processes to perform check and cleanup on these events too.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    That is my question if this task is constantly run every 5min? whats the impact on resources.
    I play BF1 every day for an hour or two but never notice any stuttering, maybe because I shut down at night so the system never up more than like 18hrs.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Every 5 minutes task starts cmd.exe with script which starts wmic.exe to test the memory condition and if condition not good it starts powershell.exe with script which should be compiled (on the fly) by C# compiler into .Net code which calls Win API functions. I strongly suspect that service (written in C# and compiled to .Net code) which tests memory condition through WMI (COM calls under the hood) and then calls Win API functions creates less load.
    But if you are not affected then you can ignore all this.

Dragondale13 and EdKiefer like this.