Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mott, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You'll have to get Microsoft to acknowledge this one because its their own policy that on 8.x and 10 the sysmain caching only covers HDD's.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just a words without link.

3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Sorry, I am not a full expert on these things, so if I come up with something a bit stupid, my bad then. The thing is that with standby memory full or not on my system, there's no performance change or least, its not visible.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    It's very apparent that programs start slower after the 1st time when standby memory is flushed. So yeah, it was really unfortunate that it was required with older drivers on Win 1703+ to fight game stutter.
    Btw. no need for fancy tools, just watch the cache value reported in Task Manager RAM section when downloading, copying stuff etc. And Linux basically works the same.

Smough likes this.
  7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Turns out you are completely right! Games stutter more if you keep clearing the standby memory. RE2 for example runs miles better if you allow the game to cache all it needs, much less asset load fps drops when you change areas in-game. Also it leaves like 4MB free of standby, sometimes even 0, but the game is smooth all the same. I see that having an SSD or not does not change this. Games still need to cache info to run faster.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The crux of it was on a microsoft page that was deleted when moving to their new blog system.

10. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    The FPS cap is not that low for it to be flat all the time due to rare FPS drops, this is where the frame time spikes come from, when I go crouched a certain route and dont look any side it is flat and stable.

I do not use vsyc, or any other sync. I tried FSO off it was 1:1 the same, so I enabled it again, the nvidia frame limiter was crap.

The context was windows game mode, one can add .exe there and pick different modes, this is not task manager cpu priority.

Today the UE4 "fatal error" message crashes returned, I thought it was fixed after driver update, played fine for hours.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    If you don't use v-sync, then FSO won't help you much. FSO works better with v-sync to get the benefits of Fullscreen+Borderless and removing the stutter several games have at Fullscreen that have bad v-sync implementation.

As for the crashes; update your drivers, via Windows Update, Device Manager or the manufacturers website, install all Visual C++, search for the package that installs them all at once. Use DDU and get the latest nVidia drivers.

12. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    I already did have the newest drivers (clean version from here) with DDU prior (both as usual) but what fixed the "fatal error" UE4 misery was the tool TDR Manipulator by Wagnard, changing the value TdrDelay from 2 to 10.