Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mott, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Gazza0101

Gazza0101 New Member

GPU:
    amd radeon r9 380
    Hi Guys

New here, but would like to share my experience with the windows 10 stutter, low frame rate.

My 1 and only Game I play is World of Warships, usually Asia as best ping as i live in Australia.
    Anyway after upgrading to Windows10 from my win7 I started to get Stuttering and and frame rate dropped fro 66-76 right down to 18-22 when the action started, it was totally unplayable, So me being a total noob i googled how to overclock my 17 cpu in the bios, and i stuffed that up big time, as pc would not even start !

So googled how to fix, This might help others.

I turned off and unplugged pc, took out Graphics card, and also the Bios Battery !, waited 1 minute, when put back in and turned on , it set everything back to basic settings

re connected Graphics card, and booted up .....perfect !

Game plays great , frame rate back up to 66-76 all the time. No stutter at all, even with heaps going on in game.

So either both helped or 1 helped, might just have been put back in Graphics card, but either way it worked.
    just my 2 cents,

Regards

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I have serious doubts any of that will be remotely useful.

3. Gazza0101

Gazza0101 New Member

GPU:
    amd radeon r9 380
    Well that may be true,but it worked for me , thats why i put it out there,
    But thanks ,

cya

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Your case was something extreme, most of us in here get high framerate but we also get stutters, this is why Windows tweaking and tools such as ISLC are used and it solves the issue for a lot of us. The problems most people have are software related, not their hardware.

Also, if you jumped from Windows 7 to 10, you needed to do a full clean install, not upgrade, that often causes issues. No idea why reseating your GPU helped, that's strange, but I am glad for you!

Kolt likes this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    I previously could easily reproduce the issue by accumulating standby list memory by downloading a game in Steam (e.g. Dishonored 1 with ~12GB of size for 16GB of installed RAM) and then start Battlefield 1 on Sinai Desert conquest large map (after download is done, not while it's downloading ofc):
    Win 10 1703 (occasional hard stutter):

Win 10 1607 (zero stutter):

I indeed haven't been able to reproduce this with a 1660 Super and very latest drivers. It'd be interesting if I'd be able to reproduce again with a driver before 436.48.

6. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    There is this dude on twitter @realtweak that seem to be having the secret sauce to no stutter gaming. Anyone think that he does somethink beyond setting High performance plans, MSI mode and whatnot? Answers seem kinda weird to me.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I went ahead and checked him. But he seems to charge, I don't see any tutorials or anything on his Twitter, so no idea what his methods are. Imo he does what we all know in here and just takes advantage of novice users who are scared to tweak their system or don't really know how to. There aren't any "secret" methods really, what we have said in here at this thread is the pinnacle of this info. The only thing we haven't spoken too much is related to HPET and if it should be active, disable or just set to stock on Windows. So far the best choice seems to be to leave it as "stock". Other than that, we know the rest of tweaks.

ISLC is the best thing we have right now in order to get smooth games.

Kolt likes this.
  8. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    That was my take too that he only does what we do and that was it. Just heard summit talk a little bit that he fine tunes the power profile like 1usmus did. Maybe adds some games to exploit protection to ignore them and thats it.

Smough likes this.
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Should I disable both ASLR for games?

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Which ASLR did you disable? Both?

https://d.radikal.ru/d24/1910/1c/26a06c78822b.jpg

11. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I disabled Bottom-up ASLR personally.

Here's how mine goes:
    (Note: I do this globally. My system is PC gaming focused and not so concerned with security. Not exactly recommended for everyone except enthusiasts)

Control Flow Guard (CFG) : Off by default
    DEP: On
    Mandatory ASLR: Default (off)
    Bottom-up ASLR: Off by default
    High-Entropy ASLR: Use default (On)
    SEHOP: Use default (On)
    Validate Heap Integrity: Use default (On)

I no longer need ISLC, however I've also since upgraded to 32GB RAM. My system is fairly stutter free now, with the exception of some games specific issues (Unreal Engine games noticeably sometimes have a stutter)

Smough likes this.
  12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I might get some stick for this, but did you also disable pagefile when you upgraded to 32GB?

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Nope, I had issues previously with some older apps crashing and having problems with the page file disabled in the past. My page file is set on an NVMe drive and I haven't really seen any real reason to disable it. Perhaps I should look more into that sometime to see if it's worth disabling now..

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its never worth disabling it, give it a min and a max size and it'll rarely get used.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I haven't used one in a while. I wasn't saying you should just wondered if you had or not. On systems with lower physical I don't recommend it obviously.

16. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Not even that. If you have SSDs just let Windows manage it, this will always achieve the best result. Windows will even span pagefiles across multiple drives if you have them, and it will prioritise SSDs. The only reason to ever tamper with pagefile settings if you are still on an HDD and only then so you can make it contiguous through defragmentation. Any other situation, let Windows manage it.

The old recommend tweak settings -- and they are very old, at least a decade -- no longer apply. Windows has come a long way.

Xtreme512 and Smough like this.
  17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Any news on the new upcoming Windows 10 2004 solving these issues?

18. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    There are no issues for me whatsoever.
    Everything runs as smooth as pure silk!

19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Windows version?

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    With recent drivers on recent Win 10 1909, I think it's back to being as good as it was with Win 10 1607. At least I haven't yet encountered situations where there was weird stutter that disappears after flushing standby memory. I deliberately tried to provoke it, which luckily didn't work out. I did this on two different systems (one Intel + Pascal and one Ryzen + Turing). So I'm confident that the issue this thread originally was about is fixed.

I just hope the graphics vendors + Microsoft make sure something like it won't ever happen again.