Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mott, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You made them aware.

Mico likes this.
  2. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080TI
    @Mico thank you so much dude I love you. Spent thousands upgrading and 100s of hours chasing bugs, this solved all of my issues across 10 of my most problematic games. Insurgency, squad, ac odyssey, far cry 5, div 2, Blair witch, destiny 2 all butter smooth. Control and Kingdom Come which i bought this morning and spent 3 hours trying to fix the stutter instead of playing it are 95% stutter free which is magnitudes better than it was, the stutter is very minor now which ill chalk up to the game engine. I upgraded to all the best trying to solve this ongoing hitching problem 2080ti nvme ryzen 3600 x570 gigabyte master tridentz etc etc with no change. All along I thought it was hardware somehow, because almost every game did that damn 1/2 second stutter. Thanks again.

edit: the update from icue that just released solved the rest of the spikes on control and kc deliverance 100 percent stutter free now, unreal.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Mico likes this.
  3. Mico

Mico Member

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    You're welcome. Glad this is working for others too!

BoxChevy and theoneofgod like this.
  4. smackup4u

smackup4u New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    Awesome work m8. Kudos to you. :)

Mico likes this.

5. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    This sounds like something that should be reported to Microsoft...

6. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080TI
    Good luck with that they dont even work together within the company. I gave up reporting to them a while ago. They just dont care about gaming performance or bug fixing, just adding useless feature after useless feature. If they truly cared about gaming they wouldnt load the system with bloat or apps we cant shut down, or give us a gaming version of windows 10.

Smough and eGGroLLiO like this.
  7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    Understandably, Microsoft doesn't have time to look at every report sent their way. But if reports were sent on mass, or if tech news sites (like guru3d) pick it up, I'd expect a fix pretty quickly.

Mico likes this.
  8. Mico

Mico Member

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    Yep, if this is solving the issue for everyone, an in-depth article by some Guru or other reliable tech news sites would definitevely raise the problem.

Little update: after turning off ASLR related settings only i was noticing heavier cpu loads in some game (AC Odyssesy and The Division 2 mostly) and way longer loading times in almost all games. This compared to all settings off. So i basically returned to all setting off, and everything is fine again. Possibly on my machine is more noticeable due to my old cpu (i7 4770 + hdd, ssd for system only), since my friends with faster cpus + ssd are not having this.

9. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    So ASLR with high entropy (which is disabled when you turn off ASLR bottom-up), ASLR bottom-up and CFG all cause stutters in games and lead to measurable (at least for CFG) less performance, as we have seen in the past (I think it was something regarding Chrome or Chromium based browsers taking longer to load sites because of CFG).

I opted with turning off ASLR globally and CFG on per program basis, including Nvidia services and other stuff that runs in the background.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Not for everyone. IBM PC platform + Windows + user mentality create a universe of diversity.

11. Mico

Mico Member

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    Sorry my english faults again. Could you explain this in a less compressed way?

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    He's just saying there could easily be computers where these settings do not effect performance, we have a small sample size here.
    Also Microsoft may consider the penalty worth it for non-power users, where security is more important. Most people never open a single settings window.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I would say most of computers do not suffer from security mitigations. Even in this thread we saw haw many gurus reported solving stutters by disabling security mitigations - 3, 4 ?

PS My home rig has no problems neither with standby list nor with CFG and ASLR.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    On this particular ASLR protection, what scenario would this be able to be exploited? I read MS doc on it and it seems to change memory address each time an app is run. So to me, that would be most important with servers/VM's compared to a home user. I mean hacker would need to be at the system or have remote access to it?

15. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

16. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    So.. fully disable CFG and ASLR exploit protections globally and install ISLC on top for the ultimate W10 experience? (trying to sift through and get an accurate summary here for those like me who can't keep up with all the posts sometimes) ;)

With CFG disabled and ISLC it's been pretty smooth.. but I'm always looking to eliminate any further potential stutters.

17. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Yes. Same here, CFG on per program basis has been pretty smooth in the past (without ISLC as well), but I guess "better less-safe than rage" is the way to go with ASLR

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I failed to create beautiful text, so here are the thoughts:
    Bugs are always there.
    Windows Defender gives users a way to toy with settings.
    The article you linked is about test script - not the live user experience.
    Also even 100 times slower CreateProcess function is still needed to be executed only one time to launch a game, after that it can`t be a cause for in game problems (until you launch tens or hundreds of processes on the background).
    Edit: Also do not forget that exe-file should be compiled with CFG support for this mitigation to be active for the process. And IIRC gurus failed to find games with exe-files compiled with CFG support.

Not really. In server scenario main processes (database engine, WWW server engine, for example) are started at the start of the server to serve the queries/calls from clients. Some children processes can be launched for each client request but the life span of such children processes can be very short.
    Also server scenario is more likely to get professional security solutions.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    It would be nice if someone could benchmark disabling ASLR globally vs disabling ALSR game .exe :D

kurtextrem, BoxChevy and Kolt like this.
  20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Did you just volunteer? :p

kurtextrem and WhiteLightning like this.