Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mott, Apr 3, 2018.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Do Wagner's "Intelligent Standby List Cleaner" default settings need any tweaking?

I see that by default if the list size is at least 1024 MB and Free memory is lower than 1024 MB, it'll clear the standby list so is this optimally configured already?

Just double checking that I can simply download + run it and it'll work "out of the box" so to speak. Primarily I'm wondering if those MB values require any tweaking/if they should be increased over 1024 MB.

The other question I have is regarding the polling rate -- it defaults to 1000, but I don't see why this would need to poll that often. 250 (the min) I'd think would be totally fine for this, but I could be way off/missing why 1000 was the default there.

Thanks!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You got it wrong. Default "1000" is not polling rate like in USB mouse - it is not "1000" Hz. It is polling interval - "1000" ms between taking samples of memory state.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    You would have to see if your standby memory gets filled and never releases itself. If so, then yes you still need this method. As for Wagnard's program, you don't need to set anything in it, just set it up to start with Windows and forget it. Just set the polling rate to 1000, seems to be fine like that.

BlindBison likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Smough Thank you, that's helpful -- will do! In my tests, my standby memory seems to not be getting released when I would expect it to -- for example, I opened a level in DOOM 2016 then closed the game and the standby list memory filled to 12 gigs and did not clear when I closed the game. I then tested Wagner's method by updating a steam game which completely filled up my standby list and Wagner's software did appear to correctly clear out the standyby list once it got very full (less than 1024 mb remaining).

Since having it installed/running doesn't seem to hurt anything, I'll set it to run at startup (put it in the startup folder) and just leave it at the default settings for now. It's sort of unbelievable to me that this is an issue that has to be fixed at all though -- like, I was/still am even a bit skeptical since this just seems so outta left field/seems like something so obvious that MSoft would've had a good solution/implementation for it by now, aye?

Anyway, anecdotally and it could be placebo since I haven't done more substantial testing with real measurable data, it does seem to have reduced stuttering for me if I clear the standby list prior to launching a game, but I'd need to collect more data/do real tests to confirm that ofc. I still get occasional stuttering, but it seems less frequent/less severe in the cases I've looked at.

Coldblackice and Smough like this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    As I take it Wagnard`s utility can set itself to run at startup, and it does it with newest preferable method (not some ancient startup folder).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    BlindBison likes this.
  7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    You can set Wagnard's tool to start with Windows if you need it to, it's on the program settings.

BlindBison likes this.
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks, I'll look for that then. I don't recall seeing a start automatically option though, I'll check the config files and double check in the UI after work.

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    It is right in UI, bottom lower left options, make sure your on latest version (1.0.1.7).

BlindBison likes this.
  10. Skire

Skire New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    Would it not be better to lower the 'List size' value to 512MB on systems with 8GB of RAM? Technically speaking it would be possible to not have any free RAM at all while running BF1 with the cache size still sitting at 950MB for instance. This would inevitably lead to stuttering.

The 1024/1024 balance is working great on my own rig with 16GB but I am trying to figure out what would logically make sense on my brother's rig with 8GB.

Also interesting to note: I never experienced any stuttering in BF1 with my 7700K & RX 570 combination. I did however experience a lot of stutter in AC Origins, even when using the built in benchmark. The frame time spikes were horrendous. I was initially inclined to blame my HDD for this. However, when switching to a GTX 1070 the stuttering in BF1 became unbearable. My theory here is that the combination of high CPU usage and the free memory running out is the cause for all these stutters. My 7700K was chilling in BF1 with the RX 570 because of the obvious GPU bottleneck in this scenario. However, the GTX 1070 is making my 7700K work like crazy on 1080p/ultra (regardless of my 120fps cap). In AC origins my CPU usage was very high even with the RX 570.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I would leave it alone at 1024, the lower you set it the greater chance of running out, so the check interval would probably need to be increased in rate (though a 1sec intervale would be fine IMO >1000ms).

12. Skire

Skire New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    I am not referring to the 'Free memory' parameter. That, I agree, should be left alone at 1024MB. I am talking about the minimum cache size requirement in order for the program to clear that memory.

Free memory has a higher chance of running out with the parameters: <1024MB Free & at least 1024MB cached, versus: <1024MB Free & 512MB cached, am I right?

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    IMO, the cached standby memory size is secondary to worry about as that will vary according to how the system is used (how long it been running, apps that have run and memory size}.
    You could lower it I guess with 8gigs but the cache should be much higher most times to not even be a factor.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Purging the standby list when application uses it will hurt performance.
    Purging the standby list when application doesn`t use it and there is plenty of free memory will change nothing.
    Purging the standby list when application doesn`t use it and there is zero free memory will change everything.

BlindBison and Kolt like this.
  15. Skire

Skire New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    You guys are probably right. Also when running a memory intensive game and the cache gets cleared the first time around, the game will immediately use that free memory. So the cached memory probably does not even have time to grow in that short amount of time.

Thanks a lot guys! I would also want to thank Wagnard and the other devs for this beautiful piece of software. Unbelievable that we have to resort to these type of things in 2019... Get your $h1t together Microsoft. Unfortunately we don't have any viable alternative OS to use.

Smough likes this.

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Lol I've seen people asking for a solution to this on the M$ and the "supporters" there have not idea what this is and offer the most dumb solutions.

17. Magicblow

Magicblow Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070 Asus Oc
    Hi. Thank you for your all hard work and knowledge.

This fixed my stutter problem. From 500 stutters per hour to 1 per 2-3 hours. Thank you!!

Smough likes this.
  18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I smell me, some software Engineers! :p

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Coldblackice likes this.
  20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeah, I remember reporting that too, in one of these threads, at least Origin as I use that most.
    I don't mess with timers but if you force it to 0.5 will it get reverted?