Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Update: Windows 10 version 1803 17134.320 the issues seems to be fixed for some and still some light stuttering for others. It seems that I don't need any of the following for smooth game play but you may need one of the fixes.

6 septembre 2018 - KB4458469 (build 17134.320)

Addresses an issue that ignores the MM_DONT_ZERO_ALLOCATION flag. This issue leads to degraded performance, and, occasionally, error 0x139 appears.

I am now running 1809 and the stutter seems to be gone but there are still reports of it persisting so ff it isn't fixed for you then there are still the below solutions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 1: Script: FreeStandbyMemory.bat by AveYo

This script is from the popular coder AveYo whom known for his quality scripting. The FreeStandbyMemory code can be found here and or you have to do is click download. You will get a batch file that if you run will add the script to your system and if you run it again it will remove it (remember to run with administrator rights).

A list of all his useful scripts can be found here.

AveYo has been kind enough to grace himself with his presence here at my request as I wanted him to weigh in on the whole discussion surrounding this issue. You can read his illuminating response about the issue here. Finally, here about the revised version of his script and why he thinks it is the superior method for dealing with this issue.

Option 2: Purge Memory Cache Service by

mbk1969 has made this excellent service solution which is either tied for the best or the second best option. He is an extremely talented coder and has helped out the community greatly pertaining to this situation. He also may be one of the more ingenuitive coders around so I definitely urge you to try this solution and compare it with the first option.

About the service:
    Bundle contains folder 'PurgeMemoryCacheService' with files:
    - ReadMe.txt
    - setup.bat
    - cleanup.bat
    - PurgeMemoryCacheService.cs

This purge memory cache tool is written in C# in the form of system service (under SCM control).
    All configuration is done in ini-file.
    I have created Purge Query Language. Using this PQL syntax you can add any number of purge queries to ini-file, creating your own policy for purging.
    Very flexible approach which lets you schedule the purge of the standby list or the file cache or both.
    The purge can be initiated by timer, by the start of process (one, list of, name template), by the stop of process (one, list of, name template).
    The purge can be set to check the available physical memory against treshold value (in megabytes) - to postpone if available physical memory is higher than treshold.
    Service creates its own event log 'Application and Services Logs\PurgeMemoryCacheService'.
    Detailed info is in ReadMe.txt.

To set all up execute 'setup.bat' in elevated command prompt. To clean all up execute 'cleanup.bat' in elevated command prompt.

Option 3: GUI: WAGNARDSOFT (known for the almost indispensable Display Driver Uninstaller) from our very own Guru3D legend Wagnard has created a GUI application available here: Intelligent standby list cleaner.

He has his explanation of what differentiates his program (and the similarities) from AveYo's script that you can read here.

The beginning of the great conversation: There seems to be a great discussion blooming from the great minds of AveYo, mbk1969, and Wagnard starting from this post. So, if you want to read about the differences between the options and why the respective coders believe theirs to be superior you can follow the conversation from here.

I'd also like to give extra credit to mbk1969 for all of his useful suggestions for AveYo and Wagnard which are definitely helping them make their solutions better.

Option 4: the original method that was proposed in this thread which I was using before I came across AveYo's script:

So, I stumbled across this the other day and wanted to try it out for a few days before I posted anything about and it seems that I don't stutter in any of my games anymore. Pretty crazy but it works for me (I set it to every 10 minutes instead of 5). I have 8GB VRAM and 16GB DRAM and even I was able to benefit from this wonderful reddit post.

YMMV

Please let me know if it works for you!

Edit: Just remembered I read about it on this forum so credit @jdc2389 for the link!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    BlindBison, tiliarou, akbaar and 14 others like this.
  2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
  3. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I completely forgot that I actually read about this fix on this forum in the 391.35 thread so credit @jdc2389 for linking it there!

Looks like a pretty decent program. I wonder if it does a better job than what I linked... I also find it strange that I have 16GB of RAM and never top out although it helped immensely with stuttering. I never stutter in games anymore after using the method linked in the OP and setting it to every 10 minutes where before I had stutter in almost every game since the Fall Creators Update.

bOse likes this.
  4. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    I tried both. The memclean program didn't clear the Memory cache at all and just cleared 50MB from working memory. The Empty standby list did clear all my cached memory which was at 11.2GB after gaming all day with far cry 5.

I don't know if it will make any difference for me as I have 32GB but it is nice to have a program to clear Windows cached memory as I havn't seen a program able to do it before it and might be useful some times.

Thanks for the links.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I've set it to 30min, if its really flushing whole game like that, then it would delay another reload.

I've seen few games that take longer and by next restart it started instantly.

Edit:

COD BlackOops3 is the only game that really has obvious micro stutters. Will try it soon, but now that I think of it 5min isn't so frequent by multiplayer, the match lasts max 10-15min..

Would be even more ideal if you could select it per app. :D I don't want it to run all the time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  6. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    I have that running for quite a few months now as I also experienced stuttering. It was completely gone after setting up a scheduled task running that cache cleaner every x minutes.
    Disabled it just to check it if it was still stuttering and yes after 15/30 minutes or so when playing a game it came back. I left it running now, but not sure if it's still needed now we're almost at spring creators update.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Those that notice an improvement, are you running out of free memory when in the game?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  8. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I noticed a huge improvement and was never close to running out of memory in any game I was playing. I don't know why it works but it works wonders. Everything is so fluid now. Back to how it was with my GTX 980!

9. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    This is all because of Microsoft procreating up the memory management and there is a kernel memory leak for the OS where it just keeps caching more and more standby ram(cache not in-use ram) and doesn't release old cached ram that isn't even being used anymore. You run out of ram to cache and you get the horrible stutter, framedrop, and/or driver crash. This fix works great for SSD users, mechanical users need to revert back to v1607 LTSB or hope this nonsense is fixed in the spring creators update. I was going crazy playing CSGO where this is extremely noticeable and gets you killed all the time during a comp match. I stumbled on this reddit fix thread randomly trying to figure out why this was all happening, good ol google-fu.

BlindBison, cerebus23 and Exostenza like this.
  10. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Completely solved my stuttering issues in BF1. Thanks so much man. It is like owning an entirely different computer after setting that up to run every 10 minutes in the original link you posted.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That must be HW or software dependent as I am not seeing standby memory grow here.
    Currently, have 16gig and 4000Mb standby and 10k Mb free memory.

So I take it this stuttering issue in the game starts out with no stuttering but after many minutes the game starts to stutter the longer you play?

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't have this happen at all and I keep my system on for days at a time. Right now with an up tine of 2 days 2 hours 13 minutes... 4.2 GB cached .I'd think if this was some sort of universal issue we'd see something more than a few posts on forums.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I turned it off. It didn't help by COD BO3. I fixed most of it later with nv settings and game cfg.ini settings.

14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    When the first Creator's Update was released, I think it was @Extraordinary who recommended to try Windows 10 LTSB for those having some issues. I haven't looked back since. I switched when CU2 was released, to see if I would gain any performance, but there wasn't anything to be gained and switched back to LTSB once more.

The only downside was that I couldn't play the latest Microsoft Studios games, and the only one which I really wanted to check out was Forza 7 when it came out.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    You guys should try out the rs4 rtm. I have zero stuttering and overall saw my performance go up. Finally a stable build since 1607.

16. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    It might be fixed with v1803 I've asked for confirmation can't be bothered to reinstall yet going to get a new ssd soon.

BoxChevy likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be the part of Superfetch which preloads data from disk you probably will need is the culprit. (Aside from the parts of Superfetch which should boost OS boot and should boost the app load.) You can selectively switch all these parts, iirc.

Also in FCU (or in CU) new feature with the same preloading idea was introduced - to prelaunch UWP apps you use frequently.

18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    All this fuss, FCU 1709 is perfectly stable and glitch free, once you keep it updated.

19. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    You know I didn't seem mine grow either and had about the same values as you and for some reason this fix just made everything buttery smooth.

I don't know what to say.

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Whoa, Such an improvement in ROTTR benchmark

Fallout 4 also was buttery smooth too which had the odd hiccup when panning the camera