FIX BSOD ATI Blue screen on atikmdag.sys solved fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by 12stones, May 19, 2012.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah no worse than some of the native english speakers on here.

2. wizard25

wizard25 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5850
    i visited http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html using my Firefox and the Flash version that popped there was : 1.5.502.110, for Windows 7 (64-bit).
    Using the same link, through Chrome i got the following:
    11.5.31.2, Windows 7 (32-bit)
    From what i understand, Chrome doesn't use the OS's Flash Player, but has its own built in Flash Player. I also understand that Chrome actually updates its own flash player on its own (automatically).
    For some reason though, Chrome couldn't pick up that i am using a 64-bit Windows 7, or maybe Chrome doesn't support Flash player 64-bit.
    My ATI Radeon HD driver is: atiumdag 9.2.0.0 (Catalyst 12.10) / Win7 64 (from GPU-Z). When i try updating the driver through Windows device manger, Windows says that this is the latest version (i tried doing this on 11th of November 2012). Windows does give me the following date for the driver: 27th of September 2012
    From what i understand, the BSODs that are caused by the conflict between Flash x64 and the ATI Radeon HD drivers fall into two categories:

1. The driver is the culprit:
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x6DCC)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800AFCC010, 0xFFFFF88005806DCC, 0x0, 0xD)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
    product: AMD driver
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver

2. The Windows video scheduler crashes:
    This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x122F)
    Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x1, 0x498CC, 0x49CF2, 0x49CF1)
    Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Watchdog Driver

The above are excerpts from a program that analyzes minidumps, called WhoCrashed (free).

I can't find a permanent solution tho this daunting problem, but i have a workaround:
    I only use Chrome now because it has the 32 bit implementation of Flash Player.
    I don't watch downloaded .flv or .swf files.
    VLC player also crashes when using it to watch .flv files
    This could be because VLC either uses the local (OS's) Flash Player's libraries to play flv movies, OR:
    VLC Player has chunks of the x64 Flash Player inside itself, (which chunks could possibly be the pieces that are incompatible with the ATI Radeon HD drivers).

3. DallasCZ

DallasCZ Guest

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD 4870
    Same problem

Hello guys,
    my PC:
    CPU: C2D E7300@3333
    MB:GA EP45-DS3
    GFX: ATI RADEON 4870
    PCU: ENERMAX 500W
    i run win 7 professional for 2 years without any problem, but month or two ago started this thing with atikmdag.sys BSOD (from begining only after waking from S3 sleep). But now i got BSOD randomly after 1 hour of work or after two days.
    So i removed completly the ati 13.1 drivers and cleaned registry.
    rebooted the PC.
    I installed the whole driver package of AMD 13.1 drivers.
    rebooted the PC.
    Now i found the atikmdag.sy_ in instalation directory of AMD.
    BUT i cannot find the atikmdag.sys. in windows/system32/drivers/
    in this folder is only winmount.sys and some subfolders without any sys files.

4. danish1705

danish1705 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    I am too facing this BSOD by atikmdag.sys, the recent one was right before I write to this post. I am using Sapphire HD 7970 and the driver is amd_catalyst_13.11_betav8 because i am playing BF4.

My friend was suggesting that it could be due to wattage issue as my current PSU is 600watt whereas in my rig I have that beast (7970), FX8350, 16GB ram, velociraptor HDD, win7-64bit, corsair H80i hydro cooler. So I am guessing that BSOD I keep facing maybe due to shortage of watt. Based from online calculator for wattage, with the current setup, my rig require at least 750watt.

Seeing your answer above I am sure that my issue was cause by short of wattage as well. I will upgrade my PSU to 1050watt and see from there. Hope this will eliminate my current dilemma.

To the OP, take it easy buddy. You are not alone.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

5. gruia

gruia Guest

GPU:
    MSI 260x OC
    THese latest betas all gave me BSODS, and all had different behavior with ULPS

The expand overwrrite method never worked for me.

WHat did work was restarting bios, and installing different drivers. some work some don't. I learned a big lesson this week, when with beta 8, my display was acting like it was going to explode.. and now everything is perfect.. overclock , 24/7 running, no driver reset.

Your best option is clean drivers, and install a different version. and to be on the safe side reset bios also ( maybe its just my MSI mobo screwing with voltages and clocks )

so I would give your "solution" 5% chance of working .. as it never did for me in the past 5 years of owning 4 AMD cards and having many BSODS

PS: disabling desktop composition never worked either.. and w/o DWM Vsync is disabled for desktop and movies.. you'll get tearring like crazy.

6. moshan

moshan Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7750
    Hello!
    Since last week I started to have this annoying issue, and unfortunately the "expand" fix didnt work for me. (it worked only during the week-end)
    I'm getting the BSOD after win 7 loads and I can use only Safe mode, with a very low resolution and 8 bits colors. I noticed, that after I uninstall my ATI drivers in safe mode, windows boots normally but I still have low resoultion and 8 bits colors. Today I managed to make it work using ATI 13.1 Drivers (installed only Display driver so NO CCC) but I don't know if it's a viable solution. I will keep you up to date to see if this fixed my problem.(usually when I found out solutions like this it works only temporary, the next morning after the pc has been turned off over night I got again the BSOD)

7. danish1705

danish1705 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    I had BSOD before the beta driver and right after I use 7970. Before that I use 6870 with no issue with 600watt. After I use the hydro cooling the BSOD happen even frequent. Another BSOD happen just now before this post. This Saturday after work I will buy new PSU and monitor from there.

I use CCleaner right after I uninstall any old drivers. My mobo is ASUS Sabretooth 990FX.

Like I said I will upgrade my PSU to 1050watt and hope this will eliminate the BSOD and to prepare 290x (heard this card hog lots of power! gulp!)

This is the online link on how to calculate your PSU usage with your current setup. I use this to detect that power shortage. Hope it will help some of you.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. Leisure_Larry

Leisure_Larry Guest

GPU:
    APU 7640
    I found another disturbing bug atikmdag.sys

My computer crashed with the same BSOD's as above.. tried replacing atikmdag.sys... to no avail... then I noticed that my computer is downloading much slower then any other computer I own.... Very strange.... I found amd quick stream to be the problem.. supposedly has some QOS service on your computer for gamers... but not until I removed AMD quickstream could I get my computer to stop crashing... So try above.. but also be on the look out for quickstream.. seems to come automatically with new driver upgrades...
    I registered for this forum just to share my findings.. as I know I depended on some good folks to help me get to the bottom of this... Best of luck!:infinity:

9. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the sharing, and it look like AMD quick stream will only support APU. :)
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDQuickStreamTechnology.aspx

10. jaohjor

jaohjor Guest

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Download the 13.9 driver from here then use AMD Uninstall Utility to remove all traces of your current driver, CCC etc. Reboot and install the 13.9 driver. NOTE: When installing choose 'Advanced' or 'Custom' (whichever option is available, just not Express) and uncheck everything except the video driver.

( original: www<dot>sevenforums<dot>com bsod-help-support/336910-bsod-random-situations-caused-atikmdag-sys.html ) -no commercial reclam intended-

WORKED FOR ME !!!

11. Ken345

Ken345 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R5/8 GB
    atikmdag.sys BSOD FIX?

Greetings. I just thought I would post what I have tried to fix this very frustrating problem. The problem didn't exist when my Toshiba laptop was new but after a few months of automatically letting Microsoft mangle my machine with updates, the problem suddenly appeared. From what I understand the problem is with a driver update Microsoft fouled up. To fix it I went to the AMD Web site to the Drivers and downloads page (http ://support .amd. com/ en-us /download) and downloaded the Catalyst software to automatically detect and install the driver needed for my machine. After installing their tool I ran it and about ten minutes later it was finished downloading and installing the correct drivers and required a restart to finish. So far so good, but it's worth noting that it might be wise to not allow Microsoft to update the driver after you have downloaded and installed the correct one from AMD. There is no reason to believe that Microsoft will give you a better driver than AMD already has given you with this tool.:) PS. I can't post a link but you should get the idea where I am pointing you.

12. pyrorob

pyrorob Member

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT BIOSMOD
    Just to point something out for those who think that there files would get corrupted installing.. for that to happen in any way you would either have a faulty hard disk that's failing or bad ram (or bad timings) but either of those issues would present themselves way before you would get to installing graphic drivers.. (kinda ridiculous really) but if your really worried about that, install hashtab and just check the file hash's in the properties box. if it matches the original then, you have nothing to worry about. btw, all you need to run the expand command is "expand -r atikmdag.sy_" (no quotes)

13. Rocker Raghav

Rocker Raghav Guest

GPU:
    Amd Radeon HD 7670m 2 GB
    My problem didn't fix guys.

I have followed every step to fix the atikmpag.sys BSOD. Like , Copying the atikmpa_.sys and expanding it but it didnt fix my issue.

I have a samsung Notebook which have dual switchable graphics - Intel HD 4000 and Amd Radeon 7670m 2gb...

The problem is that when i am trying to install the drivers of both the GPUs , during installation, I am getting BSOD and can't start my PC in normal mode. I have to restart it in Safe mode and uninstall one of my driver to use my PC in normal mode. So , firstly i tried to first install AMD driver and Use the steps above like EXPAND.EXE atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys. But when i tried to install Intel HD 4000 driver i am getting BSOD.... Please help me some one

14. Nospheratu

Nospheratu Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7970M CrossFire
    Have you tried the Leshcat drivers? It seems they aren't up to the latest version but it does resolve a lot of issues for intel/AMD graphics configs.

15. fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx Guest

GPU:
    radeon r9 290x
    A common cause of a BSoD is an overheating CPU. Check it's temperature when using hardware acceleration, Catalyst Control Center/AMD Settings, converting files, or anything else that could possibly cause your CPU to work harder. Anything above 80 degrees celsius (176 F) is too hot.

If it IS getting too hot, check that your thermal paste hasn't dried up. If the paste is ok but your CPU is still overheating, then you'll have to get a better cooler.

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    the fix for the problem mentioned in the first post is to uninstall MSI Afterburner along with RTSS

the hooks for measuring FPS and frametime especially interfere too much and cause crashes like the "...atikmdag has stopped working..."
    or also the "gfx_d3d_init_err" or as well the "DXGI Error Device Hung"/"GetDeviceRemovedReason" errors...

since i uninstalled the programs and do all the afterburner settings directly in the registry or the profile.xml i dont have any crashes anymore.
    also there is no performance hit from ANY background programs anymore.

and i tell you ... EVERY SINGLE setting you can do with afterburner can be done without as well.

i would say in maybe 50% this is the solution to the problem.

but your suggestion is just plain illogical. the only thing it does is re-copying a file from a driver you have or could install anyway.