Five more editions are coming to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Feb 6, 2018.

1. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    But how can we be paying extra if it's cheaper than what we have now? Unless you own a high end system in which case it's the same as what we have now. This is an objectively beneficial move for the consumer whether they realize it or not. If you're worried about not being able to use the license with a high end machine then just buy the high end license which costs the same as what a regular license costs now anyways.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Well that makes Perfect sense since the free upgrade we got half the features do not work, Missing icons popping in and out, Start button not working ect.....So these paid Windows versions will Fix all these problems I assume?

3. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Reading most of the responses in this thread make you wonder about the reading comprehension of most, and whether their IQ is higher than room temperature.

How damn hard is it to understand that these SKU's are not available in the retail market, and are only available to the wholesale/OEM/system builder (as in Dell, HP, etc). Unbelievable that this thread has gone on for 5 pages with most of you bitching and moaning about something that you can't even buy.

MasterBash likes this.
  4. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I was wondering the same thing. You can actually read those stupid things in most threads now. However, since it says Microsoft in the title, it gets special attention from those people. According to them, Microsoft cant do anything right and everything they do is the worst thing to ever happen in this world.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not many were trash talking about M$ back in Win7 days.

But again, some people can't compare Win10 with other OS, and just happy with Win10.
    I mean Win10 got dx12, you can't hate it? right? lul

6. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I used them all and I am totally fine with Windows 10. Most of you guys love to hate just because its MS.

I mean, just read here. Most can't properly read what this is about and they just bring up how much they hate on whatever they are trying to complain about that has nothing to do with topic they refused to read. So yes, stupid is the right word. Stormy is absolutely right.

Making Windows 10 cheaper for OEM on low-end machine is an improvement, but most people wouldn't know because they don't read anything.

Gotta love hating just to hate. I am sure if people that are negative about everything, if they would say something positive once in a while they would be happier in their life.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am happy to be able to participate in "We hate Win10" circle. While you seem to be sad about it.
    So, talk for yourself about happiness.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Windows 10 is Best OS MS ever made. But it is OS filled with Worst things you can imagine.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Oh no, do as you wish, but I think you got it wrong, I really don't mind being on Windows 10 and I am happy about it so I don't feel the need to rage at MS for Windows 10. You seem to be salty, though. Proven by the fact that you bring up how much you hate windows 10 when this topic is about editions and pricing and not how much windows 10 sucks.

That's fine. But people going offtopic and not reading anything about what this topic is about and just crying about Windows 10 makes this forum garbage to read. They bring absolutely nothing good.

You know, if at least people would be smart enough to actually read and stay on topic, then they would maybe.. understand why MS did what they did by reducing pricing. It has nothing to do with Windows 10 sucking or not. I guess the ignore button is good to filter out people with low IQ.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    sverek likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From HW perspective, those editions are not for us. Most of us should be getting Advanced. Minority can live with Core+.
    We do not need to care much. As I wrote before, they hint need to have cheap OS for very cheap HW. MS would not do that for few installations. I expect millions of Cheap Ass Devices.
    That's not bad thing in a way. But those devices will have same life cycle as cellphones. Means more trash.
    It may even affect software design. And maybe even Windows 10 design. System Memory Compression is one of things MS came, so it can still run on devices with only 2GB of RAM and start some application.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I bet your board is pretty empty then. Mine's just gotten a lot cleaner with adding you to the list. And your buddy. Have fun trolling in the phatom zone where you can generally insult people all you like :)

airbud7 likes this.
  12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    ok

airbud7 likes this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Water is wet, sky is blue, Microsoft is devil incarnate and Windows 10 is the pitchfork.

Self-clarities.

(As is this thing called sarcasm getting lost in Interwebz forums btw.)

But yep, the new forum ignore function is handy. But I wonder if one could ignore self... I'm rarely in the mood for my own shenanigans :D

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    We're not moving from DDR4 to DDR5 yet....not for a couple years.

Most OEM systems are non-upgradable to start with. Lenovo uses power supplies in a lot of their systems that already operate near full load requiring replacement of the PSU to simply add a graphics card. Lenovo also has a bad habit of implementing hardware whitelists to restrict component upgrades. I actually sold a Lenovo laptop due to the hardware whitelist. Both HP and Dell have also used hardware whitelists in the past, but I'm unaware of whether or not either still do. I'll probably find out about Dell later today when I try to change the wifi card in my Dell laptop.

Yes. These SKUs will only affect pre-built systems. The general public won't be able to purchase these SKUs.

Do you really fail to understand that these SKUs are specifically for manufacturers like Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc that sell pre-built systems that will likely never actually be upgraded? The vast majority of PC users NEVER upgrade their system. They simply throw the outdated system in the trash and buy a new one. Neither you nor I will be able to purchase these SKUs. They will only be sold to OEMs.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    its software dude...once its written the cost is the same.

Edit: and Dell/HP/Acer only pay a fraction of what we do for a copy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Sources?
    Do you really fail to realize that OEMs have traditionally got special deals with Microsoft and other 3rd party partners? There's a reason you can buy a Dell or an HP for cheaper than what you could build yourself, including the Windows license and maybe even a basic MS Office license. All that adware really helps lower the cost of the PC. In other words, OEMs don't need these cheaper licenses. The only benefit I see is if these cheaper licenses will reduce the amount of pre-shipped adware.

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    I wish to see some day version where is all bloatware to get rid off while setup...

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Those days have been and gone

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef and AsiJu like this.
  19. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Can you play games with the Entry edition? That's all I do with my gaming rig anyway, for $25, I'd get that if possible.

20. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    yep I agree very good times :) don't return nevermore:rolleyes: