Five more editions are coming to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    It's ludicrous, really quite insane to go this route. I mean did they not see what loot boxes did to EA? This is just plain greed and stupidity rolled into one. I mean how on earth am I going to work out which edition I need if I have an AMD :eek:

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I mean it's a stupid idea, but what happened to EA? Are they all broke and homeless now? They're just as rich as ever, and lootboxes are coming back anyway.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Won't these extra editons basically be for OEM and the likes of web surfing only notebooks and cut price Aldi/Lidl laptops and cheap media desktop PCs.

4. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    I'm glad Microsoft decided to slowly kill themselves with moves like this.

AsiJu likes this.

5. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Would be nice if Microsoft introduced a Windows Media Center Edition in Windows 10 that supports Cablecard tuners like Windows 7 does.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Core+ / Advanced are editions meant for us here. Anyone with Ryzen 5/7 or 4k screen needs Advanced edition.
    From what they written, it is clear that Core+ Supports 4C/8T. Advanced is for 6C/12T and more.

On other hand, $100 is OK for TOP edition as long as it has no limitations. If it has any limitation on anything, then it is not TOP, and this 5 tier separation is yet another cash cow trap.

7. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    They are rich, but only through stock speculation rather than anything tangible. Not saying they are broke or homeless, but their image is now even further in the toilet. Eventually these types of practices, and MS's is along the same type of corporate bullshit, will give cause for an opposing force to them. Whether it's successful or not is a totally different matter.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Sounds like new material for the band MegaDeath.
    To The sound of a trashing band sing.
    1 you don't need.
    2 is lacking speed.
    3 is worse than Linux.
    4 is full of bloatware.
    & 5 is $500 and you still don't own it or the hardware. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    More confusion, that's just what people need to get ripped off by shops.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Though I think this is a ludicrous idea that's going to heavily backfire, the "Entry" just simply shouldn't exist; that's just so impractical and makes them seem so belligerently greedy.
    If the "Value" tier was renamed "Entry" and was free, I think that would be ok.

I think a better idea is give a base price for Windows 10 Home (let's say $60) that has no RAM, CPU, disk, or display restrictions, but you have to pay extra for the "complete Windows experience" like Windows Defender, Cortana, all customization features, and niche hardware (like biometrics, HMDs, capture cards, etc). Not that I think any of this is a good idea, either, but if they're going to get greedy they might want to tone it down a bit...

Do either of you not realize that these are entirely artificial limitations? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why people should pay more to use the hardware they already paid extra for. It's not like the Windows kernel needs extra code to handle the extra resources. Ironically, it actually takes extra code and effort to add these handicaps.

11. TobyR

TobyR Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    ChromeOS

It is as simple as that. This will alter costs, primarily for OEMs, to get Windows 10 into value laptops that compete with Chromebooks. Presently that price tag places Windows laptops, otherwise hardware similar, at a significant price premium over Chromebooks.

The hardware limits, while descriptively/verbally convoluted, are just device delimiters.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In that case, I would move to Android x86_64. Like Phoenix OS. While those devices meant for cheap Windows are weak for most of WIndows coded games and applications, they are still great for usual android software and games.
    (As long as someone is able to make all HW features work on particular device.)

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    All i ever wanted was a Windows 10G version. A stripped down version for gamers. Why can't they just give us more options @ install, so we can rid ourselves from the fluff.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Because the fluff makes them money through telemetry and data harvesting and advertising, they want us to have the fluff, otherwise LTSB with all the fluff removed would be an easy option for normal users not just enterprises

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Erickem

Erickem Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    i'll stay in windows 8.1 i suppose.

16. The Average

The Average Guest

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    I still got 8.1 on some devices and imo it's the best OS i ever had after 2000 server :D

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, the opposing force... that's what I meant, it's not going to bear any fruits, sadly.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    * insert random EA / MS / lootbox joke here *

(I had a very funny post written, then realised it's more of the same...)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Oh boy I can't wait to open lootbox to see which Windows Edition I got!

AsiJu and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You probably only get a token of which you have to craft yourself an Edition like in Diablo 2 with the Horadrim Cube :D

vonSternberg and AsiJu like this.