Five more editions are coming to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Feb 6, 2018.

1. psychic717

psychic717 Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X

This was a comment made on MSPU that explains a lot.
    Doesn't seem so crazy to me now.

2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Home Premium, Pro, Enterprise and Server should be more than enough or am I forgetting something?

3. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I think you mean more like Mobil, Home, Pro and Server Education and Enterprise

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If some PC manufacturer is planning to release an uber cheap laptop, it can't very well include a 100 dollars OS, now can it? It wouldn't be so cheap if it did. Since it's going to be so cheap, the parts are going to be from the bottom of the barrel, so it will fit the lowest category listed there. When the components get better and thus the PC price rises, MS plans to get their share of the total price. If you think how the manufacturer can select a 30 dollars CPU, or a 100 dollars CPU, or a 300 dollars CPU, for various different sorts of PCs, this also allows them to select a Windows version that fits the total price, just like the hardware components.

5. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    So without any details I figure a lot of us would need Advance just in case we want to upgrade at any point?

Glad I am starting to transition to Linux full time.

Nijohc likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, plus re-reading the description did say SKU editions as well.

Ah well, if we all knew how to read, again would have missed a good opportunity for a little bit of social commentary :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    even if it for OEM sku why even bother to have that many versions.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    MS thought that the best way confuse their competition is to confuse everyone!

If even MS themselves don't know what they're doing, no one else can either.

sverek likes this.
  9. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    Wow, first a power supply you can voice control now 5 more versions of Win 10. Is the industry really running out of ideas????????????

10. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Been a few years since I changed to Linux as my sole OS, don't regret it one bit. Win 7 was the last decent OS microsoft did (imho), just been downhill since then. Maybe they'll do something good in 4 or 5 years time but I won't hold my breath.

11. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Well... i'll stay in windows 8.1 i suppose..

12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    In my opinion this will only drive people in 3 directions..
    1. Pirating..
    2. Linux
    3. For gamers who actually buy software, probably will think in moving to consoles now.

Seriously, the objective of W10 always was the unification of the system and not separating into multiple versions.
    This, Nadella or Nutella is an idiot.

13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    MS clearly has one and only one goal in mind here.

They aim to take the most hardened and resolute MS fan and make them say "I really don't get or like what they did here".

Here is an idea, why not make an enthusiast build that is just the OS, literally just the OS and GUI. Make everything else optional at install with a single button that allows you to skip absolutely everything.

14. hynreck

hynreck New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1080
  15. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    This makes sense, this is OK, good decisions were made in the advancement of Windows 10!

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is confusing. Why not just keep it how it is? Don't fix what isn't broke, Windows 10 as it is now is a great OS.

17. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Also why end Windows 10 S?
    I mean, they are dumb AF.
    Windows 10 S is a super limited W10, which you are forced to use their services, I don't understand why they simply don't make it available for free.
    UWP was a failure, and W10M was a failure exactly because of the lack of apps.
    And this dumb idiots had an operating system that only ran apps, and was limited to certain equipments and laptops, and weren't even available to download and install
    Now it's too late, but some years ago, would have been a blast, especially for W10M users, since Visual Studio IDE allowed UWP development very very easily and anyone could port the app to Xbox or W10M in a matter of minutes with almost no effort.
    But surely more people with W10 S would have been beneficial for their vision and Store ecosystem.
    But no, they failed on it again because they have narrow-vision, that OS was not available to consumers to download and now since it failed they decided to create this huge ammount of versions.

I'm honest I would never ever use a W10S copy, but any regular basic PC user would be entirelly ok with it, but no, they preffer to cap it hardware based...
    I don't know who the hell takes this decisions.

The only positive thing I see in this separations, is probably the price being lower to licence the windows copy, altough if anybody want to change the machine for something much more powerful have to licence again, that is just stupid.
    Jesus, if I wouldn't game on my PC so much, I would move on to linux ASAP, I have all the software that I need that, it's just the games and the .Net development

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Can we get "simple desktop version" that comes with kernel, essential middle-ware and minimum software to run windows. No bloatware, no ads, just clean and nice OS.

I'd pay $50 for it, as a true upgrade to Win7.
    Am I asking too much? Or it's not profitable for M$ to just sell clean OS anymore?

airbud7 and Angantyr like this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

I been thinking of moving to consoles only for gaming for years, untill 1080p + 60FPS happens and becomes the standard my move to consoles only will never happen

20. The Average

The Average Guest

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    I don't know why most of you are so negative about it but if Microsoft can deliver more performance on good hardware then why is this a negative? We all know that windows are designed to work on HDDs because many computers still do run on those. But if you can pick the right version for your hardware and take advantage of the extra cores, RAM and SSD then why not? I just hope there is a new file system for the advanced version and more parallelism on processes.