Five more editions are coming to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Five more editions are coming to Windows 10
    In addition to huge number of existing Windows 10 editions, Microsoft is going to bring five more variants for home users. Here are the key changes and how they will be licensed and priced.

The Redmond software giant is currently working on five new editions which extend the Windows 10 Home family.
    The new editions include:
    • Entry
    • Value
    • Core
    • Core+
    • Advanced

The company is preparing different system requirements for each edition. Entry and Value SKUs will be targeted for Atom and Celeron-based devices with a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, while the new Advanced edition would require Intel Core i9 and Core i7 CPUs.

Here is the list of system requirements at a glance:

• Entry: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 32 GB SSD AND ≤ 14.1" screen size (NB), ≤ 11.6" (2in1, Tablet), ≥ 17" AiO
    • Value: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 64GB SSD & ≤ 14.1" screen size (EM ≤ 4 GB RAM & ≤ 64GB SSD or ≤ 500 GB HDD)
    • Core: Cannot be used on devices that meet the Core+ and Advanced SKU Hardware Specifications
    • Core +: High end CPU and >4 GB RAM (All Form Factors) ≥8 GB RAM & ≥1080p screen resolution (NB, 2in1, AiO) >8 GB RAM & ≥2 TB HDD or SSD storage (Desktop)
    • Advanced: Intel Core i9 (any configuration) OR Core i7 ≥ 6 Cores (any RAM) OR AMD Threadripper(any configuration) OR Intel Core i7 >16 GB (any Cores) or AMD FX/ Ryzen7 >16 GB (any Cores) OR ≥ 4K screen resolution (any processor, includes 4K UHD-3840 resolution
    Pricing for the SKUs is as follows: Advanced ($101), Core + ($86.66), Core ($65.45), Value ($45), and Entry ($25).

Also, Microsoft is cancelling Windows 10 S as a separate edition. Instead, there will be 'S mode', which can be enabled for any edition. When in S mode, Windows 10 will be restricted to running apps downloaded from the Store only.

These new Windows 10 SKUs would be available to partners starting in April 2018.

Source:
    https://winaero.com/blog/five-editions-coming-windows-10/
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151578/new-windows-10-consumer-sku-roadmap-revealed
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/five-more-editions-are-coming-to-windows-10.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2018
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Okay, what?

Also, why?

Last but not least, gotta love the specs for Core edition. Unclear and means you can't go for cheaper Core edition if your system meets Core+ or Advanced criteria.

Dragam1337 and Brasky like this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    1 word...Disaster.

Dragam1337, Brasky, Fender178 and 3 others like this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Question is will they allow to buy and install any edition despite the actual HW in the rig?

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Why? What could they possibly modify in Windows itself that would need such high performance hardware?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    marketing...

Dragam1337, slimmy427 and Silva like this.
  7. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    No no no, windows 10 is supposed to unify the damn thing not polarize it. This is the kind of decision made with the dick in the hand!

Dragam1337 likes this.
  8. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    This is frustrating to say the least.

9. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Think of all those messed up updates......................... :eek:

slimmy427 likes this.
  10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Not for me...unless they make a dedicated music making edition with most of the os stripped away.

11. h0d

h0d Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Let be honest, all of us will be required to have the advance edition. At the very least the cost seems to be the same for the advance edition compare to the "today" edition. It could lower the price tag of some low-end system if you are close to your wallet but it cannot only be a hardware version limitation, it must have some software differences too.

12. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    This makes no sense. What will happen to the existing Home, Professional, etc. editions?

13. bulldog75

bulldog75 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
    Who gives 2 sh1ts about pricing?.
    Torrent hounds will be all over it as with previous Windows version.
    A big "Screw You!" to Microsoft.
    LoL.

Clawedge and Silva like this.
  14. Enticles

Enticles Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Who at Microsoft is making these decisions? This is beyond ridiculous!

I honestly cannot see this new model being any more profitable than the "1-size-fits-all for windows home" model they're using right now. it just begs the question of "why do this?"

the only thing i can think of is perhaps some of the data mining features get pushed to the cheaper versions and turned off in the advanced, pro, and enterprise versions... but I don't think that will happen.

15. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Microsoft is going nuts again...
    Windows should have 4 versions only: Basic; standard; Pro; and Enterprise.
    Those requirements are absurd, are they mining underneath?

StewieTech likes this.

16. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    This decision is driven by this sign and only by this sign
    Sign : $$$$$$$$$$$

17. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I thought Ballmer was gone!?

What is this nonsense? Is it so they can make Home Windows licensing as confusing as Enterprise Windows licensing?

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they must be trying to confuse them selves and there customers... even from developer stand point, have this many "versions" is nightmare

19. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    So the only hope is the way to install the `Entry` version on normal computers, that probably is not gonna eat all your disk and is gonna have half of the crap or one third.

For me there should be one free edition, and then paid additional layers that you can buy

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This really concerns me.... Is MS gona pull some crap where if we want cpu with more then 6 cores we and other features we "need" to get higher price version of the OS?, Like other said I foresee this making people get the OS by other means and use other means to activated it... Even more then what is done now.