First time with ATI..At this rate my last time

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SolApathy, Apr 28, 2010.

1. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900

You are getting the responses because your post comes off as that of a troller. It just doesn't seem right. You don't give enough detail about your problem or even say which drivers you supposedly tried to install.

The title of the thread also comes off immature. I've never had any problem whatsoever with ATI's drivers on the 5xxx series cards. If you can't even install the driver, it is obvious it isn't a fault of ATI's. I think if no one could install their drivers that we would have millions of people saying so, and it would be impossible for anyone to game with ATI hardware. We know that simply isn't the case.

I think you need to re-install Windows. If you don't do that next, then you must be without a doubt a troll. Next time, you could show a little more respect. Your chances with getting help will be better. Also, try to be a little more detailed. What you had written sounds fictitious.

Good luck!

2. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Long story short, at cases like this I just point them to PC sales of BFBC2 (which are the higher than console ones) :) Somewhy Bad Company title makes such a sense for console fanboys...

Agreed, same here :nerd:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    No tweaks, no joy. :)

4. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    I completely agree. :) However, there are millions of "less-hardcore" players out there who are not computer literate, and those are the people who play console games because it's "easier," not because it's "better," or "more rewarding."

You have some good points, but you obviously didn't read the whole thread. He's gotten the drivers installed now. It was the fault of Windows. Now he's having an issue with Oblivion, but he's not logged in anymore, so he's probably not reading this thread to try our suggestions on that issue.

Okay, but take release dates into account. Wasn't that game released on all platforms more or less simultaneously? (I'm actually asking because I'm not sure, and skimming Wikipedia didn't necessarily answer that question for me.)

A lot of games fail on PC because distributors are too concerned with their console market to release on PC at the same time. They assume that if gamers who own both a PC and a console have to wait for it in PC, they'll be more likely to buy it on console and pay more, and it won't be as easily pirated.

I think if more games came out on PC at the same time as they were released on console, they'd no longer be able to point to "piracy" as a cause of low PC sales, as the games would likely sell more on the PC platform, given the title was a PC-friendly genre. And I think that's exactly why they delay the PC releases. There's more money in console games as they usually go for around $10 more.

5. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Reinstall windows. I don't see a reason why you should returns it if it's a software problem.
    Btw in the future don't use driver sweeper or any other tuner/cleaner if you don't need to. They often cause more problems then they fix.
    And if you change cards from nVidia to ATI or vice versa reinstalling windows is recommended.

6. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Alas, it's all about money nowadays. I mean, cmon, EA always used this multiplatform policy, however, they used to release pc-friendly titles on PC first and then port them to consoles... Now it's all vice versa because casual console auditory makes better sales. Not to mention that technical side of titles is so screwed. Let's just hope that PC takes the lead back sometime soon, there are already many omens of that :)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WoW....someone posts in the ATI section about issues with an ATI card and what happens? nVidia fanboys immediately start posting Anti-ATI bull****...

nVidia cards are FAR from perfect....as are nVidia drivers. I have a pair of P45 based motherboards here. I also have an HD4850 and GTX275. My ATI card works just fine with either board....my GTX275 on the other hand, won't work with my ASRock P45TS-R....So, I'm stuck using a Foxconn ELA because my GTX275 will work with it. Now, this is called a compatibility issue. My GTX275 isn't faulty....my ASRock P45TS-R isn't faulty. The 2 components are simply incompatible with each other. Instead of immediately swearing off a company....take the time to learn the cause of problem. Contrary to seemingly popular belief....not all parts are compatible. Crappy drivers and faulty components are rarely the cause of problems.....compatibility is the leading cause of system instability or inoperability.

Steve is generally right.....

Chipset drivers, have nothing to do with hardware detection....that's controlled completely by the bios.

Motherboard "drivers" aka chipset drivers....have been required for every motherboard on the market over the last oh, I don't know....15 years.... I still remember my old Intel 440BX board that used chipset drivers. "Once upon a time"...graphics cards didn't use drivers...you plugged them in and they simply worked. Of course, that was "back in the day" before "3d graphics accelerator cards" became the norm... When you install Windows, you have an option to use the general chipset drivers packaged with Windows or you can install the chipset drivers that come with every motherboard on the market. Chipsets such as Intel's P35, X38, P45, X48, P55, X58, etc....which have power management features built in....Windows needs the drivers to properly manage those features.

Uninstall an OS? WoW.....when did that become an option? Last I checked, the only way to remove an OS is to format the harddrive it's installed on.

BTW, ATI recommends updating chipset drivers due to the simple fact that the PCI Express bus is a managable bus with power options that Windows can control. Updated chipset drivers can improve performance by improving control over the PCI Express bus power management.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    The problems you have are because you done all unnecessary procedures.

Reseting BIOS settings ? WTH , where did you guys read bull$ like this ?
    Safe mode ?
    Driver cleaner ?.

It's funny gurus do such things - it might been worth something on grandpappa windows xp , not Vista/7.

On windows 7 when i replaced my card i didn't even removed nvidia drivers ( not before inserting ATI card ). Everything works fine , did same procedure on many computers.

9. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    HE SOLVED HIS DRIVER ISSUE. READ THE THREAD.

He now cant launch Oblivion, THATS ALL.

Try to reinstall it. I had a similar issue with Sims 2, after a switch from 8600GT to HD5770 the game wouldn't launch. I didnt tried to re install it, but someone recommended me to do that to get the game working. Maybe the game modifies some settings according to your gfx card (like shaders for example), so once you change the card, the same settings cannot be applied to your new gfx, ergo, it wont launch.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Ahh Nvidia driver installs are $hit too, i spent hours getting them installed on Windows 7 for this 8800GT and they'd just hang eventually i figured it was because i had my region set to ireland and language set to UK, grass isint always greener, excuse the pun :)

11. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    When i was on Vista with my 4850. Sometimes installing drivers still wouldnt work. CCC wouldnt detect a gpu and it was like as if windows didnt install the drivers correctly.

Only way i solved it was updating from windows update then install new drivers which worked.. Or doing driver cleaning in safe mode ect.. Really annoying.

All fixed with windows 7 though. No issues

12. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    i would have to agree with d2k, it def sounds like a miscommunication between the OS and the GPU.

Do you have access to another system at all you can test it on ? or an old hard drive knocking around you could quickly install windows on to test with ?

If i was the op i would start a new thread for help with oblvion, far to many trolls and idiots in here

13. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Delete game video settings files. I don't know where they'll be though.

14. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    When there's only you complaining of such a problem I would guess its not a problem ATI need to fix........ Black screen sounds like a power problem to me, I've just googled Bad Company black screen and its not a prevalent problem so maybe you need to look closer to home for the answer.

15. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    I had low performane when i installed my 5870 from my old gtx280's. I bit the bullet and reformated and i was blown away with the improvment. I love this card never had a single blue screen or lock up, performance in most cases owns my old sli config. Not to mention the running temps and the power consumption.

Format mate, i know it's a bitch but it will be worth it.

16. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    May be I can help you.

One of the best possible ways to solve the problem is to make a complete fresh install with latest drivers and software or the software’s that most favorable to your system. Works great for me every time.

If you are not considering fresh install you can do the following.
    1st confirm you have the following software.
    A) Driver cleaner pro.
    B) GURU3d driver sweeper.
    C) CCleaner .
    D) ALM registry cleaner.
    E) Latest driver for ATI, Physx, Direct X, ATI steam .

Now follow.
    1. Uninstall your current VGA Driver. (ATI or Nvidia doesn’t matter I recommend uninstall both).
    2. If you have ATI steam or Physx uninstall both.
    3. Restart and Boot in safemode.
    4. Use the driver cleaner pro and uninstall both (ATI & Nvidia)
    5. Use GURU3d driver sweeper.
    6. Now use C cleaner and 1st try the cleaner after that try the registry.
    7. Now use the ALM registry cleaner to make a clean sweep over the C drive.
    8. Now this point might now necessary for all. Open device manager and select the display adapters. Now install the standard VGA adepter. Sometimes the display will not appear as these processes uninstall all the vga components.
    9. Restart normal.
    10. Install al the latest stuff.

Works for my perfect in my PC (from 9600GT to HD 5850). Works for my perfect in my brothers PC (from 9500GT to 5770).

17. bm010

bm010 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Try a fresh install of windows and DO NOT EVER use driversweeper. (I cannot believe this program is still being recommended) It is not necessary and causes more problems than it is supposed to fix. (yes, I speak from painstaking experience) Using a 5870 (first XFX then ASUS) since December and every WHQL or leaked beta driver installs and works fine in a ton of games and synthetic apps. (at least 10+ driver packages installed) The only tiny issue I've ever had was just recently when I was installing the leaked 8.74, it gave an error before shutdown -- after a reboot all was well.

Backup your important data to a secondary HDD, reinstall windows (format), load any missing drivers in device manager or run win updates, use the latest drivers for your chipset, soundcard, NIC, etc, run the directx updates... After everything is installed -- load catalyst 10.4a preview and if something is still up it must be an issue with your components as a fresh install 99.9 % of the time clears up the odd problem with perfectly fine hardware.

good luck

18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Agreeed on Driver sweeper , it's pointless app that does nothing.
    And its still being recommended for placebo effect oO

19. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    I request you to tell us more about the problems about driver sweeper. Like me a lot of people use it very often. We want to know how and what problems it actually cause.

20. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Seriously people actually do this to change a poxy driver!?! WTF!?!? You have no idea why you are actually doing all that too do you?