First Real Ryzen 5 2500U Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD recently announced that the first Ryzen processors will become available in laptops soon, expected was 2018. however, AMD also announced the HP Envy x360, Lenovo Ideapad 720S and Acer Swift 3

Read more.

2. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Would be the perfect APU for something like the next Microsoft Surface (Quad Core + decent non-Intel GPU). :cool:

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Cannae wait for the desktop versions :D

4. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    They should release model with HBM2 integrated .Probably want it would cost much more and it is dubious if market would accept high priced AMD parts, i mean general public doesn't have much knowledge to accept high prices from AMD they just know Intel and can accept Intel's high prices.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Pretty nice result for this kind of processor.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    People are buying Threadripper, that's a high priced AMD processor...

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    its an insane bargain compared to its only competition, so its not high priced at all

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not bad gaming results. Like the MX 150 this could be used for light gaming or for legacy gaming. Just like the GT1030. I agree that this would be good inside of the Surface.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wonder if this is single or dual channel? IIRC, HP wasn't going to use dual channel on all their models. Either way, the results look pretty good.

IMO, Ryzen makes for a much better laptop architecture than desktop. The limited clock potential becomes totally irrelevant, and when the speeds are low enough it has better performance-per-watt than Intel. Meanwhile, the IGP and price are also better than Intel's offerings, making this possibly the first time AMD has ever had a laptop platform that is all-around better than Intel.

For now though, I likely won't be getting one, just simply because my current laptop is holding up just fine.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah before that any thing on the Laptop side of things AMD's offerings were pretty lackluster to say the least. Their CPU performance was terrible. I worked on numerous AMD based Laptops and All in Ones (removing viruses and the like) and those AMD chips were very slow. The Desktop APUs of the time were better than the laptop ones. This could be AMD's comeback into relevance in the mobile market. I am with you I won't be getting an Ryzen laptop of any kind because i just got a new gaming laptop and I am very happy with it.

11. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Pretty sure it's just because the HBM2 wouldn't give any performance benefits while being more expensive.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If my old laptop finally kicked the bucket (which it hasn't because the low use), I'd get a Ryzen one without an external GPU. I never really ended up putting the Nvidia GPU to real use in my current one. Gaming on the laptop just didn't interest me, even though when I was selecting a model back then, I thought I would do some gaming away from home.

13. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    They would get much more performance over DDR4 2400MHz,and second thing is dedicated memory is dedicated memory much better then fight with CPU over slow(relatively) shared memory

14. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Compare price of 16 core AMD processor to 16 core Intel,Intel is almost double in price,actually with recent Black Friday sales TR 16C dropped to 800$ and Intel's 16C x299 proc was selling for 1700$, more then double.

15. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Seriously, what the heck of extra-performance do you think that you'll get out of a 15W APU?
    I'm the first one who's really into Raven Ridge, but at least I'm not expecting 75W performance on a 15W package.

16. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Sorry misunderstanding i was thinking about higher wattage when i was talking about including HBM2 on chip (45-60W)

17. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I guess a 45-60W package could benefit from HBM/HBM2, but I don't think that we will see those in a near future.

18. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Maybe they will come with mobile refresh next year