First PlayStation 5 that died was due to its SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Rainbows and Unicorns. If you think that you'll get magical new experience thanks to 15~20 times higher data throughput from storage without actually loading 15~20 times more data per second for prolonged amount of time, you are mistaken.
    Game that needs 8GB/s storage is game that can't cache those data at lower speed. That means, loading, processing, displaying and discarding huge amount of data every second.

What's storage capacity in consoles again? How big is that game, which just junks up to 8GB of data each second, going to be?
    Will it be transcendental gameplay? No.
    Would it look better than what 52CUs RDNA2 delivers on PC? No.
    Would there be faster loading times? Yes, a bit. But nothing revolutionary.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I could understand embedded storage if they were using 3D Xpoint / Optane, but they aren't.

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    He's referring to the typo Hilbert had in his review. Look closely at his comment to Hilbert and you'll see it.

4. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    I've spoke on this months ago on disqus about how they're nailing their own coffin shut doing this soldered ssd inside the system.

This proprietary-ism is what is going to be their downfall. Just should have populated that slot available for storage just like MS. And once it's full slap in a new one/offload them games that aren't being played as much to external.

Soon you'll read of Sony recommending their consumers to use the SSD that came with the system as little as possible.

Okay that last part is a jab at them, but I've spoke up about as soon as I found out it as nailed into their system like RAM....

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    I don't get why most of the game isn't in system RAM anyways...

Speak of this SSD from Sony has been kind sad. Especially when the fanboys got ahold it like some secret sauce hardware.

The SSD is still the proverbial bottleneck today in and out of a console. Unless you're talking about 50GB/s then SSD's will still hold back a system just not nearly as much as a HDD.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I have to agree with the members who thing the soldered M.2 SSD is a bad idea.

There´s a small chance it´s going to fail in the long term and the the console is basically a giant paper weight, an ugly and expensive paper weight...

EspHack, Fox2232 and DeskStar like this.
  7. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    You don't get it...... And truly missed his point.....

Comment just to comment without knowing what's going on...

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Here is something you can do. Set up monitoring for SSD read speed. Launch your "heavy" game. Load save, load multiplayer. Whatever you think is Storage intensive.
    Come back and report read speed when game is launching and playing intro. When it loads main menu. When it loads save file or enters multiplayer zone.

Games work just fine and look just fine even with mediocre read speeds. SSD does a lot not by having crazy high read speeds, but by having wonderful random access in comparison to HDDs.
    And NVMe storage has exactly same thing. Higher IOps are winning. But only as long as there is no decompression bottleneck.

Check those read speeds, see for yourself.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    funny how many think they know better, or even dont understand cost of unit does NOT equal price,
    especially ignoring the fact none of you guys have to make decisions about a product being sold million times.
    they dont care if it cost more to make, they never plan on making money on consoles, its the games.
    and i had more hhds fail on me than ssds, and im running ssd only for +5y now.
    they decide on what benefits them most, and if the gains outweigh the cons, they wont worry about having to replace a unit or two cause of storage fail.
    how many of you had a sony console that needed fixing? how much did it cost you?
    my ps3 had a bad fan controller and was cycling between close to overheating <> run fans full throttle.
    went thru sony support, had a (return) box 2 days later with a brand new unit for swap.
    cost ZERO. do i care about soldered storage? right.

and how many of you have a car (they usually cost thousands)?
    has it never failed to work as expected? is it "perfect"?
    but yeah, a 500$ console needs to be, lol

Khronikos likes this.
  10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well now that's interesting, I just assumed it was another 2240 nvme inside a custom card

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/15/xbox-series-x-seagate-expansion-card-teardown/

for some reason its a pcie4 device that can barely saturate the 3.0 interface, but even then it would imply the cards are faster than the built-in storage, perhaps microsoft is certain games wont need more than that for a while, then a year or two later games can show up recommending to be installed on the expansion cards

a quick seach on amazon tells me some pro photographers will be very happy that microsoft is essentially offering a ~$500 discount on 1tb CFexpress cards

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    WOW this thread went overboard. Realy guy's all the new hardware has problems (CPU, MB, RAM, GPU, HDD, SSD, console, TV....).
    As long as this failure rate is under 1% is more that ok. Is not like XBOX series X is perfect (bluray problem...).
    No one is telling you to buy a console at launch, lol. And if you do, bugs are expected. And this is happening to every equipment. New firmware for CPU, GPU and so one...

Khronikos likes this.
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    @Khronikos You can stop these troll posts now.

Fender178 and DeskStar like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sony has not adhered to designing a fault tolerant system, you're too blind to see it. :rolleyes:

DeskStar likes this.
  14. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    WOWO.... I see "special" people... I own it all and keep the name calling to someone you know or I'll report your ass!

Still doesn't answer why I can't have a game loaded into RAM if it's there. Why is that not and has not been an available feature in PC gaming I do not know.

I/O performance is without saying. Sony just wanted to make it more than what it truly is about.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2020
  15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    @Khronikos You've been asked before to stop these posts, as well as double posting. No more.

DeskStar likes this.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    I have a dead pixel on my 2 years old MSI monitor. MSI is so trash will never buy from them again ;)

m.2 has not matured? Last time i checked failure rate of nvme drives were about the same as sata ssd. I've been running a m.2 samsung nvme drive in my computer for 3 years now without a single issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2020
    DeskStar likes this.
  17. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    What are you on about?!?! You're throwing fudd.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    DeskStar likes this.