First PlayStation 5 that died was due to its SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    So? This things happen all the time. I always say, stopped raiding the stores at launch, wait a batch. Beta testing in house has nothing on real life testing.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Another new guru has appeared - welcome!

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @rflair/noisiv
    out of whats listed, its only win that im using, nothing else.
    "your" real world use doesnt equal mine,
    and i play enough games where the bottleneck is the person with (single) ssd.
    when going from lobby-->map, delaying start of game by up to 30s, and i tested it by running my game off a sata (vs nvme), and i was holding up start for everyone.

sure, in general most wont notice the difference/can safe money using sata,
    but that doesnt mean its for every game on this planet, nor is it "1s" for all of them.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    "why didnt they stick with sata"

upload_2020-11-13_21-26-4.png

if this is what it costs to the average consumer, my bet is smaller 2240 nvme drives are actually cheaper than sata, they are literally less material to make and ship around

but I guess getting anything more than sata in anticipation is just crystal balling, games surely wont target whats about to become the standard storage speed for the most widely adopted products /s

Loobyluggs likes this.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm glad they moved to NVMe.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You conveniently left the price fact these console use 4.0 and 1TB and 2TB are roughly $200/$400 and sata SSD 1TB and 2TB roughly $100/200$ ,3.0 NVMe are same price as SSD 4.0 IS NOT if these consoles ued 3.0 drive it would be "less" expensive and we have more storage space on them.

The drive are nice but going from 1 extreme of cheapest slowest storage solution 5400rpm 2.5 to most expensive and expensive 4.0 NVME was way over kill Sata SSD would been fine even 3.0 NVME which are roughly the same price as SSD

at this point over done with. more instrested in where this failed NVME goes and what Sony has to say

7. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Don't tell anyone, keep it a secret, there are videos on youtube proving you wrong.
    And some showing what you say has a little merit.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This makes me glad that I am waiting until some time next year to pick up one.

9. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    its not a matter of SATA/m.2 - its the fact that they went with built in onboard storage using their own controller/protocol for "faster" access...
    a regular m.2 would have done a great job/cost less but they wanted to be greedy and make the player dependent on the onboard storage with no expansion option...

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the Solder in Main system storage "was" a bad idea but I can see why they did this way they can guarantee the ps5 Game work they they there designed too that and it "probably" cost them less to have integrated then removable? If Storage fails you now have a paper wieght for console or you hope it failed within warranty and or sony dont charge 100+ dollars to replace the whole board which has everything on it.

If the gona stay with solder option they need to find way to let Expansion port play ps5 game and host the OS so long as drive is of proper specs

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    EspHack likes this.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting not that I ever use my backup drives to back up save on ps4 or ps3 I always saved it to cloud and at that was only handfull games saves

13. Elfa-X

Elfa-X Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    This thread seems to chock full of people who are either giddy it's having trouble and want it to die and people who are in denial of issues because they don't want it to die.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    There is no real gaming difference on PC as of today. Very few games use light enough compression. And as result NVMe read speed in games rarely goes above 400MB/s.
    There are many compression methods which enable even CPU to pull over 1,5GB/s per core/thread. But they are not used.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Again conveniently ignoring the price of these drives does not change anything. these drives specifcily one being used cost 400$ for 2tb version that is 4/5 the price of the ACTUAL system and most people at this point have 2tb in there current consoles. I not once said they where BAD or TERRIBLE storage solution, I said from price stand point there bad choose. And have Main Storage solution Solder ONTO The board is even worse idea instead just replacing the storage IF it fails one now need to replace the whole system.

IF price of said drive come down dramaticly that another story but i dont see it happen, Seriously alot people still refuse to get normal SSD due to price, never mind NVMe and why people want to ignore that is beyond me. Does ignoring thing make said thing not exist or something?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    even genius's make mistakes, and embedding the storage on the motherboard is one.

carnivore and Fox2232 like this.
  17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I agree, going straight to soldered on 4.0 is dumb, but thats just sony, microsoft instead went with what appears to be a midrange 2240 nvme drive, which is almost certainly 3.0 and cheaper than sata models, maybe two years later they refresh the new consoles with 4.0 drives after games actually start using more than ~2GB/s

Their target audience ofc has no idea, so microsoft can go ahead and price their "equivalent" expansion cards to match sony's and laugh all the way to the bank

upload_2020-11-15_23-7-26.png
    Btw I bet anyone could clone that little drive over to a bigger/faster one today

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is another thing most people wont know any better, they will just be wtf is price like this? Enthusiast aside that should know the diffrence most people are NOT such people. last i check you need 4.0 to hit the speed ps5 is using 3.0 is what xbox is using.

there will be lot people that have problem with it being embedded special if storage fails, and weather you want to admit it or accept it have EMBEDDED storage solution is BAD idea cause IF it fails instead just going to buy new drive they need a whole new board which will pretty much meah the whole system again... IF they have NVME expansion bay they could of easily had main storage in bay too and still be capable of the same speeds drive just NEED to be 4.0

And before you or anyone trys to say it WONT fail please come back to reality where thing fail and failure rates have become more of a thing as tech got more complicated and smaller. Space is another thing but thats another story. crap fails all the time you gona think the same thing embedded is good idea if it happens to you? I think not.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The expansion card is actually priced pretty well considering it's CFexpress, CFExpress cards even for 128gb aren't cheap.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're arguing for the sake of wanting to be right from a position that hasn't bothered to consider all factors.

Embedded storage fails, quite often.

That's an expensive replacement scenario for the manufacturer
    Thats an expensive replacement scenario outside of warranty for the user.
    That's a replacement you cannot make yourself by opening a port on the bottom of the unit and swapping a compatible module.