First new build in quite some time... looking for feedback

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bbsmitz, Nov 15, 2020.

1. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Hey Y'all,

So I'm putting together my first computer in almost 20 years. I'm no longer in high school and now have a decent job so I've decided to splurge a bit and am going the Ryzen 5950x and RTX3090 route (once any show up in stock...). Computer will be mainly for gaming, but I do a bit of CUDA work as well, so the GPU will also be used in that capacity. Might do some OC'ing to play around, but nothing too serious. After doing a bunch of research, I've come up with the following build. Feedback on any of the components would be appreciated; any horror stories or good experiences etc. Some of my rationale on the various components are below.

Mobo: After reading a bunch of reviews, it was down to the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI or the Aorus Master. Went the Aorus Master as it had an extra M.2 slot and apparently Gigabyte's BIOS is much better than it used to be so the rest of the considerations seemed mostly a coin-flip
    CPU Cooler: After flipping back and forth between the NH-D15 and the Kraken X63, decided I wanted more working space in my case and to take the plunge with an AIO. X63 seems to be universally viewed as near the top of the heap for 280mm AIOs.
    Ram: The Crucial Ballistix timings (16-18-18-38) are just a bit worse than the G.Skill Triden Z Neo (16-16-16-36), so thought this would be fine, and it's $100 cheaper. Plus I kinda hate RBG so I like the Ballistix's aesthetic better.
    Case: I wanted an optical drive port which eliminated a lot of the newer cases, and in the end this came down to the Corsair 750D Airflow versus the Enthoo Pro. I like that with the 750D you can set the HDDs a bit back from the fan intake if you're only using 1 rack. Sad it doesn't have a fan hub though.
    Storage: Will be using the SSDs for the OS and gaming, and the HDDs (8TB versions actually; weirdly part picker doesn't have an entry for them) in raid for storage. Might add a 3rd SSD for more space if I decide to run RAID using the first two drives for the OS and some critical apps I don't want to deal with reinstalling (like Microsoft flight simulator :p). My choices (Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB for SSD, Seagate EXOS Enterprise for HDD) seemed to strike a decent balance between performance, reliability and affordability.
    PSU: Thought 850W would give me enough overhead without being too overkill. Came down to the RMx850 vs. the HX850 and I didn't think the slightly increased efficiency and the slightly decreased noise warranted an extra $50.
    GPU: Still gotta research which version of the 3090 I want, but it's probably more going to have to do with availability than anything else.
    Monitor: Almost zero research done here. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for reading the wall of text if you're still here. As stated above, any thoughts on the build would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

-bbsmitz

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  2. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi there.
    From what I can tell your setup looks solid.
    Please keep in mind the ASUS Hero board is probably the best board out there for overclocking. If you wanna OC, take the board instead of the aorus.
    The RAM is OK if you don't OC. If you do take the Trident.
    Both PSU are very good. I own the RM1000i and I can tell you ... you won't hear it at all. Please consider PSUs are most efficient at about 50 to 60 percent load. And the less you stress something the longer it will live. This does not only apply to humans. ;)

TL;DR: If you don't want to OC your setup is fine from what I can tell. If you DO want to OC you probably should change a part or two. :)

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I would perhaps wait for the 6900xt, it should perform similarly to the 3090 and cost a fair chunk less. I'd wait for the reviews. The money you save there pretty much buys you a new monitor.

When it comes to monitors, really depends on what you want. Is 27" large enough for you? Or do you want to go 49" Ultra Wide? Or maybe a LG CX 48" OLED TV?

If you're going 27" route, go with 1440p, 165hz, IPS, Gsync/Freesync. Plenty out there from AOC, ASUS, ACER, ViewSonic etc.

You could also go 4k on a 32" monitor. Really depends what route you want to go.

RAM... I'd make a cup of coffee (or tea) and then watch this You'll probably learn a lot from this video and understand what to look for when it comes to buying RAM. Oh, I'd go 32GB RAM btw.

PSU is fine, general rule of thumb any 80+ Gold, Platinum or Titanium rated PSU from a respectable brand will be fine. Go with 850W, it's fine, you could also go with something around 1000W for the reasons 386SX mentioned.

Storage wise, all good, the more NVMe storage you have in there, the better. I only use NVMe for my OS, then games are all on SSD and then a spinning drive for back up.

Not bad overall, that'll be a killer rig my man.

386SX likes this.
  4. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Gents,

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I had a few follow up questions, and also some answers to yours.

What makes the ASUS board better than the Gigabyte one for OC'ing?

Having been a huge ATI/AMD fanboy when I was young, I'm much more inclined towards the 6900xt, but the issue is I also have a ton of CUDA code that will only run on Nvidia GPUs so I'm sadly locked into that platform for now.

That video was brilliant, and I'm glad that guy shares my dislike of RGB. So here's a follow-up question. From what I understand of what he was saying, manufacturers will essentially buy memory chips from places like Micron or Samsung, bin them to see how well they perform, and then build RAM sticks out of the chips rated for certain frequencies and timings with an XMP profile loaded onto the stick to tell the motherboard what configuration to run in. So something like the G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14, and Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 CL19 are both, according to him, good quality Samsung B die, just with different XMP profiles. Which means that if I want to run my RAM at 3600MHz, I should be able to overclock the G.Skill and loosen the timings slightly, while I can underclock the Patriot and tighten the timings, and get similar performance with both kits. However, I wouldn't be able to use XMP in either case if I wanted to run at 3600Mhz; I'd have to do the clock/timings/voltage manually. If I didn't want to do any of that stuff by hand, I should buy a 3600Mhz rated kit which will have the proper XMP settings, correct?

When you say the games are on SSD, you mean an SSD which is connected through SATA, correct? So slower than an M.2 connection, but faster than an HDD using SATA?

Whew. That's enough to be going on with for now. I'll do some more research about monitors and follow up if I have some questions burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks again guys.

Best,

-bbsmitz

5. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    ASUS Hero are almost the only boards out there (with just a few others) to be able to OC by unlinking bclk to other clocks.
    For example if you set 120mhz bclk you usually OC all pcie devices with that by 20%. this may result in pcie devices getting unstable the higher you push bclk. I am able to set 120mhz bclk and boot fine on an ASUS Strix X370-F, but then I cannot use my M.2 drive (throws errors shortly after windows boot on any access attempt) and at "heavy load" of the GPU my system freezes. RAM is OK btw. :D
    If I do the same with some SATA drive the system is (almost) fine, except GPU.

At the time I used snipping tool and the disk was touched by saving the PNG file, my system froze completely.
    Funfact: You shouldnt even be able to see the Snipping Tool in a screenshot done by Snipping Tool. :D
    (There is a CPU stress tool in the background, AIDA to stress GPU and TestMem to stress RAM. Stressing GPU with AIDA worked, a game crashed instantly!)
    120mhz_bclk.PNG

And here some OC guide I found for the C6 Hero model, which I used for my Strix to get a rough direction where to go:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/mciue95x0a2xfq7/C6H_XOC_Guide_v05.pdf

from: https://www.overclock.net/threads/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread.1624603/

EDIT: Manually fine tuning b-die sticks can get you A LOT of responsiveness! My system felt slow and very bad in general before fine tuning RAM. I currently use the same speed (3200mhz) as it is set in XMP, but the timings are massively reduced.
    Besides the primary timings (those written on the sticks, CL, etc.) there are a few timings "worth it": tFAW, tRDRDSCL, tWRWRSCL, tWR, tRFC (!!) and tRTP.
    Those reduce latency (tRDRDSCL, tWRWRSCL, tRFC (a lot!)) and/or add stability (tFAW, tWR, tRTP). The lower you set the latter, the less latency you get, but the first mentioned are more worth it and take the second as stability options.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You could try loading one of the XMP profiles but you'll get best results manually tweaking. There's quite a few kits that will easily hit 4000mhz with slightly relaxed timings and a slight voltage bump. Can't remember that Trident kit off the top of my head, but he picks out a few good kits that are worth looking at.
    My games are on SATA SSD drives. M.2 can either be SATA or NVMe. NVMe is faster, but more expensive, although the prices have been dropping. SATA M.2 stick will perform similar to a regular SATA SSD.

Basically

HDD = Slow and noisy
    SATA SSD (be it 2.5" or M.2) = very respectable and perfect for "cheap" game drive
    M.2 NVMe = fastest, but more expensive, most use these for OS, although the prices have been dropping.

7. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Okay Thanks,

I probably won't be focused heavily on OC, so I think I'd prefer the extra M.2 slot the gigabyte board brings, but I'll probably manually do the RAM timings so I'll probably go with the G.Skill Ram or a good set of B-die. Two more quick questions.

1) If I buy a 3200 MHz kit of B-die and enable XMP, does that mean the system will set the Ram to run at 3200 MHz? Or are there multiple XMP profiles, and the speed/latency will depend on the profile a manufacturer has specified. Currently looking at this G.Skill Flare X Kit (2x16GB). 14-14-14-34 timings @3200MHz. A lot cheaper than their 3600MHz B-die kits.
    2) Any recommendations for some decent SATA SSD drives? Either M.2 or 2.5".

Thanks,

-bbsmitz

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    1) Yes, the XMP profiles does exactly that, sets the speed at 3200, your case. There is this tool to help you when choosing RAM. The XMP profile is the starting point, from there you can make small incremental changes and test for stability.
    2) For SATA 1 TB Crucial MX500
    NVMe ...depends. Just be aware that boot times,opening aplications are almost the same as an SATA SSD. Copying files, editing and content creation is another story,

9. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Thanks, I ended up going with the FlareX (b-die according to that link) and will manually OC to 3600 with some loosened timings. Have also picked up more or less all the parts needed for the build; was lucky enough to nab a Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC off newegg. Now just need to find a 5950x somewhere, somehow...

10. Freeman

Freeman Member Guru

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Depends what gaming!!!
    Online gaming =
    CPU or next 2 years 4 core 8 thread Intel is enough. 6 core 12 thread is plenty investment
    Good Monitor very important. Most important part if system! Benq Zowie 24 inch 120hz expensive side. 400$.
    Internet very important
    Offline Single Player gaming =
    AMD adventures, running console games on PC.

You want "frames per dollar" depending on games you will play.