First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    my mistake. its not the host file causing me problems. its the program I use that causing problems. not compatible with 8.1...

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I just do it manually

3. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    I just tried out 8.1 last night and the only thing i hated is that there is no option to create a local account like win 8.It's frustrating every time you want to switch oc profiles and having to log in to a Microsoft account.I hope this changes in the final release.

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yes there is a way, there's a couple of ways, during setup after the install you can choose a local account option, or disconnect the net and it will only give a local account option

Not sure how to do it once it is installed as I am already on a local account but I would imagine there would be an option to either make a new account or to switch

EDIT - Inside Metro account settings > other accounts > add account - there is a local account option

Alternatively, switch from password to picture or pin login to make it quicker

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Thanks for the reply but i already have uninstalled it,i remember an option for a pin login is that just a random number to login or is it phone related..Anyway when the update finally arrives i will just make another microsoft account with the least number/letters for not having to type a password so complicated that there is no way i can remember it,that is if there isn't any local alternatives..

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol There IS a local alternative, Im only running a local account on 8.1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    what kind of black magic is this?!?!?!?!?

I was setting up my resolutions for down-sampling and set settings for 3850x2160 and hit apply

and the dpi settings automatically changed to the resolution!!!!!

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I got something similar when I was trying to set up my TV, every time I moved a window across from 1080p LCD to 1080p TV, the window I was moving suddenly became massive

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I was about to install, but then I changed my mind (again).

Im gonna wait for store upgrade, it looks quicker and no need for reactivation :)

Go to windows screen resolution properties > click on "make text or other items larger/smaller"
    [​IMG]

10. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    The same thing needs to be done in the Metro settings as well. (The DPI settings are separate for the desktop and metro.) I had to do this on my 37 inch Vizio LCD TV, I guess Microsoft thought I was going to sit 10 feet back from it. :D

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Do it! :D lol

Suffer all the problems with the rest of us

12. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Thanks a lot for the pic ,at least now i know i made a good buy of Win 8 upgrade when it was first released for only 30 euros.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    speaking of problems.

I cant get netflix app to play background audio with stardock modernmix, even when it set to play background sounds.

if I uninstall modernmix and use windows snap then I get audio
    but I dont like the black bar down the center of screen.

well at lest now I can watch netflix in html5 on internet explorer.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Speaking of Netflix, i can't get 1080 or SuperHD as the call it on the Netflix app, well i can but it doesn't switch automatically, and my net is more than fast enough.

If i press Ctrl/Shift/Alt & S and manually change it to 5800, then jump back or forward it switches to 1080, but this isn't ideal every time.

Funny thing is that it works perfectly on IE11 with HTML5, if you enable the OSD then you can see it jumping up to the top quality, unsure why the app does not do this.

15. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I've installed 8.1 Pro on my works laptop due to more places I visit being moved over to 8 and no one having a clue about the Start Screen. Basically unpinned all icons except desktop and they are now happy as redirected desktop gets most of their stuff :)

But, I keep getting lots of Explorer crashes and hangs which I think is a Shell Extension issue as it randomly happens when you right click on an icon. Have several programs that install shell extensions so have to now uninstall them all and reinstall one at a time to see if the issue really is with Shell Extensions, don't you love BETA software!!

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I was wondering what happened with the animated start screen we are supposed to have.

figured out that you have to have more tiles then what can fit in the screen and then where you scroll left or right. what ever design you pick would become animated.

well it should be working that way......if you dont have stardock decor installed.

I uninstalled it and scrolled the start menu and the design animated.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I believe there is a way you can boot straight into desktop with 8.1

Right click on the taskbar and click properties. Then click the navigation tab. It's somewhere in there.

18. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Correct, the option is called 'When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start'.

I've also managed to find a tutorial to create an 8.1 Pro VL ISO from the MSDN release, this has allowed me to do an In-Place upgrade of my Legit Win 8 Pro VL to 8.1 Pro VL and activate with our 8.1 MAK Key (It wouldn't activate with the 2 Windows 8 MAK keys we have). VL customers will get the proper VL release on October 18th but doing the 'hack' gets it early. I'll still download and install the 'proper' 8.1 Pro VL when it hits our VLSC page as they might have updated it with hotfixes etc.

One good thing is that Office 2013 keeps its activation after the upgrade :banana:

19. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Is the Windows 8.1 upgrade a brand new Windows 8 key?
    For instance, would it let me run Windows 8 on one machine and 8.1 on another, the way I can run the old Windows 7 copy and the Windows 8 upgrade on different machines?

20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you're installing it via the Windows 8 store update in October, then no, its the same key

If you're downloading it from TechNet etc, then you can use either Win 8 or new 8.1 keys to activate it