First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Does anyone know why my PC goes into sleep mode if I leave it a few hours when I'm using a power plan that has Turn off Display and Put Computer to Sleep both set to Never? I've checked all the power plan settings and none of them are set to put the PC into sleep mode yet tonight and yesterday my PC went into sleep mode after around 2-3 hours of non-use while I was using my iPad 4. When I signed back in the browser and webpage were exactly as I'd left it so it was definitely in sleep mode.

This issue only seems to have occurred since I built my current Haswell system so I'm wondering if there's a BIOS setting that is overriding the Windows power plan. The odd thing is that I have often left downloading overnight with the Ribbons screensaver running - that's 6-8 hours - yet my PC does NOT go into sleep mode.

I really don't understand this. It's not a big deal, I guess, but I'm just confused as to why it is going into sleep mode in the first place. Anyone?

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    When you go lower right of your screen with mouse, then settings>change pc settings>power and sleep... Have you selected "Never" there ??

3. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Look under the advanced power settings and see if your HDD is set to sleep, should be on Never.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That setting is on Never so it's not that. Looks like whatever puts my PC into sleep mode only kicks in after 2-3 hours of me not using my PC at all and it doesn't occur if I leave the screensaver on, even if the PC is left alone overnight for 6-8 hours. I'm thinking it might be some Haswell power saving option in the BIOS or something that is doing this.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
  6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    Do microsoft moderators and support even know sense windows vista and up. you can not change hardware acceleration? the tab is grayed out. and still does it on window 8.1

why the hell are they telling people to change hardware acceleration???:bang: when the option does not exist?

7. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    ATI and Nvidia's drivers disable it for their discrete GPUs. It's only enabled if using the integrated Intel graphics.

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I just upgraded to 8.1 finally and gues what I just discovered. A known issue that I didn't know about previously of course, that if you have a XFI Titanium card and reboot your computer, you will have no sound and are forced to manually swap back n forth from game mode to make it work, what a cool feature......the joys i feel right noooowww The best part is I get to wait for Creative to make a fix or someone else to

See, these are the things I really hate about PC gaming. Can't wait to switch to consoles and sell off this rig honestly.

9. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+

Set your settings and put the pc to sleep. Settings will be saved and sound will work after restarts

10. wishcj

wishcj Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 980 SLI
    Got rid of this malware operating system called Windows 8.1. More and more problems started cropping up day by day to a point where frustration got the best of me as I was loosing hours to days of my life trying to solve problems, not just NVIDIA driver issues. So many BSODs, stability as bad as Windows ME.

I formated my drive and installed Windows 7 and I can't be happier with such a smooth stable OS the best that Microsoft has produced.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Was your 8.1 install an upgrade from a previous OS ?

12. wishcj

wishcj Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 980 SLI
    A fresh install on my newly upgraded hardware and new primary SSD hard drive. I thought it might even be my new hardware like my Corsair SSD or ASUS motherboard was at fault. I reinstalled Windows 7 and everything works like a charm, so can't fault my hardware.

13. Witcher

Witcher Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel
    I hate user control setting on windows 8.1. Even if I disable it, there seems to be no effect. Heck I can not even uninstall my good old office 2007 :(. Deleting any folder on C drive is pain in A**. Going back to win 7, which I really don't want.

14. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Is it asleep or is just the monitor off? If it is just the monitor that is off then this may help. If it is asleep then the following is not relevant.

I just got a new Dell Monitor and it came with some software to allow the pc to make adjustments to the monitor instead of just hitting the keys on the side of the monitor.

There is built in "VESA DPM compliance software" that has a "Power Save Mode". This does not put the computer to sleep independent of the operating system. It just turns the monitor off if there is no new input after a certain amount of time.

The monitor started turning off and I have the computer either on or off and the monitor is not supposed to turn off when the computer is on so it took me a little bit to figure out the problem. I uninstalled the software that came with the monitor to fix it.

(The only BIOS setting that I can figure could cause this for you is if Intel Rapid Start is enabled and the partition size is not big enough.)

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Does anyone know why windows 8.1 is setting applications in windowed mode when setting compatibility mode ?

Im having this problem with some games.
    like this

[​IMG]

Fallout 3 also seems to be crashing whenever i want to exit the game (though menu's and the qqq command).

I also seem to be having problems with Logitech gaming software. it sometimes stops working or isnt working when i boot at all.
    result is my G15 will show just a date on the LCD screen and typing is lagged like really slow.
    Ive already tried using the USB 2.0 ports as i read USB 3.0 can give problems with logitech devices but it doesnt make a difference at all.
    only thing i can do to fix this is to restart lcore.exe , but its quite a chore since it happens about 80% of the time at boot.

16. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Alt-Enter or Ctrl-Alt-Enter should put it back into full screen mode

Is your 8.1 and upgrade from 8 or a clean install ?

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    its a upgrade, there was nothing installed though since i had win7 before, so i just installed a clean windows 8 , ran updates , installed 8.1 , and installed everything (including all drivers from there)

Alt-Enter or Ctrl-Alt-Enter does not work btw, it was the first thing ive tried.

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I thought you would likely have already tried the button combo, no brainer really :)

If you haven't installed too much since upgrading I would suggest running a 'Refresh' of 8.1

Upgrades are notoriously buggy, even from a fresh install of the previous OS, I ran into a load of unexplainable and unfixable bugs after upgrading from a moderately fresh 8 install too, I had to do the same thing and have had no problems since

[​IMG]

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Can you try (or anyone else) fallout 3 if it has the same behaviour just before i do that procedure ?
    I havent ran into many problems so far tbh , just what ive described above.

20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't have FO3 but could 'Borrow' it from the interwebz to test if you like