First leaked 3DMark benchmarks show Radeon RX 7900 cards close to GeForce RTX 4080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 and chispy like this.
  2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    This sounds a bit more realistic. Early and overly optimistic rumors were saying XTX is closer to 4090 than 4080.

3. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    If the 4090 turned out to be 40% faster than 7900XTX in raster and 100% in RT, it would be the biggest beat down in the history of beat down

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    loses to 4080 even without rt o_O ? gonna be a massacre with RT on.

5. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    This is based on synthetic data collected from and confirmed it with multiple reviewers.
    These reviewers have not signed an NDA??? And if they are not the ones who signed an NDA, how did they buy the cards and how did they find drivers to run 3Dmark?

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    notice the disparity between timespy that tests dx12 ultimate features and the older firestrike. looks bleak for rdna3, we knew the rt situation was not going to go well for amd but they might even lose more ground in newer non-rt games.
    I smell a lot of dx11 4K in HUB's review.

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Timespy is from 2016 and does not use DX12_2 feature set.
    For things in the Dx12_2 there is 3DMark Speed Way, or the individual feature tests.

8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    HUB will definitely choose these games for their 12 games initial benchmark: Forza Horizon 5, Halo infinite, CP2077, COD modern warfare 2, Hitman 3, world war z, AC valhalla, Doom eternal, Death Stranding,etc...basically games where RDNA2 have an advantage LOL

9. This is seriously disappointing. I guess the added latency caused by chiplets is causing this lower than expected performance gain. AMD will have to fight NVIDIA with price.

10. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    That's a pretty weak showing from AMD imo. No wonder Nvidia released such an anemic 4080. Not to mention, I'm sure there's a good reason we aren't seeing Port Royal and Speed Way benches.

On top of all that, AMD GPU's are usually 3dMark queens. Everyone is mad at Nvidia, the horrific 4080 pricing and 4070 Ti fake-out were clearly all centered around AMD's plans.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022

11. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Here come the excuses.... Lol

Again will always be glad to jump on the early "best" from Nvidia because amd always just comes out to be more bark than bite... When they ACTUALLY compete at the top again like they did a decade + ago I'll give them a look I was with them for 15 years 99-14 and at least back then they really truly offered a alternative to Nvidias best.... And did so for less money.

Now there are ALWAYS compromises you have to make when you take an amd card and to me no amount of realistic savings offered by them has been worth that.

12. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    lol what? Are you saying HUB is shilling for AMD? Come on dude...get real. The games you listed are a fine for them to benchmark on.

Valken, mohiuddin, Undying and 2 others like this.
  13. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    This seems rather too low, I don't believe 7900 XTX will be slower than RTX 4080, but we'll see in next four days..

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  14. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    If it's slower in 3DMark, it will for sure be slower in games.

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Looking forward to 3dMark Speedway results, as I managed to hit hall of fame with a 5900X I assume it's one of the benchmark with the least dependency on CPU.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Yeah it tests regular dx12, not even dx12 ultimate. Why is Radeon doing so poorly then compared to firestrike ?

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Who knows a this point?
    Could be just early drivers.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  18. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    It's called cherry picking, actively choosing a small sample of games that favor one arch to another is not fine.

So if another reviewer cherry picking games like Plague Tale, MSFS, GTA V, Portal RTX, God of War, Days Gone and a whole bunch of UE4 games (including Callisto Protocol), they are fine selection too?

And cherry picking settings (medium instead of Ultra) to pump up FPS/dollar chart is HUB's favorite past time too

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I also find it suspicious to be slower than a 4080, especially with RT off. Granted, AMD's Windows devs are pretty awful at times, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sucks here but punches above the 4080 in other tests.

I think it's naive to think this would outperform the 4090, even in raster performance.

20. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Saying HUB isn't shilling for AMD is like saying OANN isn't shilling for the Republican party.

Krizby likes this.