First Hyperloop Passenger Test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    We all know that FTL travel is never going to happen so getting out of this lil solar system is near impossible.

You all know the nearest star to ours is Alpha Centauri @ over 4 light years away, it would take over a 100 years to reach it.

That's why if aliens ever did turn up here they would need to be so advanced over us that we would be mere ants to them.

Earth would recover after a mass extinction event but we need to have a base on the moon or Mars, that way we could re seed after earth heals.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I mostly agree.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Mars is a wasted step if you have not changed the method of propulsion - hence it's a death sentence.

Solve anti-gravity propulsion first, then we can really talk.

Without anti-gravity, we're just a glorified caveman lighting fires.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    We're a ZOO to 'them'. The last they want is to contaminate the planet and kill all life here, which is what would happen if they sneezed on a butterfly, or something. Go read "The Andromeda Strain" or..."War of the Worlds". Both books dealing with the same thing.

5. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG] i knew a new Thunderf00t video was coming

Noisiv likes this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    he is also very wrong on some things ;P

He is totaly wrong about pressure inside tube , no idea where he got numbers but official is pressure close to what it is at 15km above ground .

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Sorry but people NEVER thought the world was flat, they just had to look at any night sky that had the moon in it to know that the world was not flat. The entire flat Earth thing is a myth of modern making which given this is a discussion about the intelligence of the masses believing or not believing in hoc cum tech nonsense goes a long way to explaining why we now live in a world where

1) People are stupid enough to believe in flat Earth and
    2). We go about congratulating people and companies for doing things that have been possible for decades e.g A $400million project that carries a fraction of the people at under half the speed that the Japanese Bullet train does or saying well done to Space X for taking nearly twice as long to do something that NASA did over 6 decades ago.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I think you meant to say 'above sea-level'.

I also corrected your spolling and grandma ;)

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Everyone seems to be missing the point that it doesn't have to be complete air removal from the tubes... to reach 0 psi like the vacuum of deep space

Even lowering the pressure to half of normal sea level would reduce drag by 4 times, easily allowing a streamlined bullet train to go at 800-900 km/h, similar to airliner speeds.
    It would also be much safer than a ground level bullet train, no chance of hitting a bird or something else en-route, or some crazy lunatic leaving some object on the tracks to cause the train to derail.

Does removing half of the air require energy ? Sure it does, a lot of it ! But it only needs to be done ONCE, since the tube is hermetically sealed, with little leaks being corrected over time.
    Then only at the ends of the tube air needs to be pumped in and out of the airlocks, which is not much (just about the size of the train itself)

Expensive ? Yea.
    But technically possible for sure !

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    hey lets build all this wonderful infrastructure so we can reduce drag 4 times.
    wonderful idea. you're just like Elon Musk, except without $100B

we went to Moon 50 years ago.
    who the Fuk is arguing that it's technically impossible to build a near vacuum tube. what's wrong with you people?

except he's completely right about the 100 Pa pressure. and you're completely wrong.

where did you get 15km above the ground?

"whitepaper" (LOL) says
    This is an operating pressure of 100 Pascals, which reduces the drag force of the air by 1,000 times relative to sea level conditions and would be equivalent to flying above 150,000 feet altitude.

and here 100 Pascals is confirmed for Virgin test ride as well.

100 Pascals, ie ~1/1000 of 1 atm is double confirmed. 150 000 feet is roughly 45km not 15km. how the f do you manage to be anal yet fail this hard?

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    There was video that quoted white papers for that pressure , it was nothing close to watch you say . To maintain pressure you said they would need to have vacuum pumps like every joint , they consume huge ammount of power.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'm not Thunders biggest fan but next to Musk... Christ...

During 7 years that Musk was rallying against California High-Speed Rail while quoting insanely bonkers projection costs, China built something like 20,000 km of high-speed rail.

[​IMG]

Musk said $7.5B for 560 km cali Hyperloop, or $13M per kilometer of Hyperloop. To see how moronic this is consider this:

$20M gets you 1 kilometer of HSR in CHINA.
    1km of readily available high-speed rail that China has great exp. with and can move people around much easier than the US can is $20M. In China. Where construction costs are at least two or three times cheaper than in US, and especially in California.
    And you still need $20M per km! And Musk says he'll do Hyperloop for $13M per km....haha i'm lost to words at how bad at counting these peoples are.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Not my numbers. RTFM

1) page 12
    2)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Did we?

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    So...how large do the tunnels have to be? Diameter, specifically...

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    almost an hour long, but its hilarious I promise!

My favorite part is when Sebastian says: It sometimes helps to do a bit of physics... you know!
    Sebastian has Phd. in physics :eek:

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Dont know why by this image gave me flash back to when I first watch The Human Centipede movies