First AMD X470 Motherboard Caught On Camera - Reveals little change

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Love my x370 Taichi ! :)

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I'm wondering more about what is this thing on right side? PCI-Ex x1 ports placement and number of them is sick.

4. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Could it be one of those mining motherboards ?

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    From what I read x470 has only to do with removing the 1x PCIe 2.0 support and replacing it with 1xPCIe 3.0 support, but my recollection is hazy on that point.

6. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    100% mining motherboard, 2 Molex connectors, 11 PCI 1 and 1 full PCI.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm a bit curious why the "normal" board has both a 4 pin and 8 pin. Surely the new Ryzens can't demand that much power. Though, that, along with the hefty VRM heatsink seems very promising in terms of OC potential...

8. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    That board with bunch of PCIE x1 is not X470, it is Intel board B250 or 360,mining board,and for 4 and 8 pin, most likely just posturing , you know who has the beefiest power delivery , i think there were some X370 boards with both 4 and 8 pin.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm referring to the board that isn't littered with x1 slots. Look at the top-left corner of it.

10. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Yeah, i noticed, little late better then never :), ia already edited my previous post.

11. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Yap, was right, just applied little google-fu and found it,Asus Crosshair VI had 8+4, i am quite sure there were others as well.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Huh. I never really paid attention to current high end boards. Kinda stupid IMO, considering these CPUs don't draw anywhere near the amount of power that warrant these (you can safely run a stock 1800X on a single 4-pin power connector). But, I guess people like to buy into that kind of stuff.

kruno likes this.
  13. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    you should remember that this motherboards are getting Vega apus, so we already know the power consumption levels of vega architecture, i think it is just in case of a hi power apu (which i would love to see) launch.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I understand where you're coming from, but what I hear, Vega scales down nicely. Vega 56 and 64 are unimpressive because the architecture was pushed to a point where it wasn't really meant to go to, for the sake of competing against the 1070 and 1080. Think of it like ARM CPUs: they have better performance-per-watt than x86 counterparts, but that efficiency rapidly degrades as the frequency goes higher. That being said, it doesn't seem like AMD has any plans to release APUs anywhere near as powerful as Vega 56, so I'm confident we're not going to see parts consuming more than the 235W continuous limit of a single 8-pin connector, even when overclocked.

Besides, the mobile APUs seem to be pretty low power.

15. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    in that case that conector could be a premium addition just to stand out on performance motherboards market