Firestop on GPU's

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by crazyboy81, Jul 6, 2008.

1. crazyboy81

crazyboy81 Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7870 GHZ
    ok, I used to do electrical work on mostly commercial jobs and sometimes we had to use a fire chaulking material on any firewalls. It's like 1/8 an inch thick and comes in 6x6 inch pieces. It's highly cuttable and morphable to any shape and sticks to most surfaces including flat metal. Now I believe it's non-conductable since it's in proximity of electrical circuits.

What I'm getting at is I just got an idea for isolating the heat that comes off of the back of GPUs. If fully applied it will either absorb the heat and leave the inside of the case cooler or it will trap the heat and make the graphics card hotter.

Any takers to this challenge?

2. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    From what I know fire shields, it would work as a insulator and trap the heat in of the card!

Are you going too try it anyway? I need a good laugh :banana:

3. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    :eek3: That would be kind of like cooking fish in clay

4. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    mmmm...fish...yummm lol, I'm hungry now!!

Yeah well since most fire shield try to eliminate thermal transfer from one side to the other, I thought it might be nice for someone to cook their card and post some great pics of what not to do :3eyes:

Edit: use mica and paste with a large heatsink and add more fans to extract the heat from the case, problem solved :puke2:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008