1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FireGL on X64 with HD2900XT

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by juang3d, Apr 15, 2008.

1. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    I read that that mod is possible, i was trying with the patchscript in

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2659482

but with no luck, a know that it's needed to modify the .inf file for the drivers to recognise the firegl v8650.

Can anyone help me please, i get a hd2900xt to do this mod.

Help Please.

Thanks.

2. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    8.391.2.1.1.1 drivers doesn't support the 2900xt

8.44 only unfortunately there is no patchscript for the 8.44 yet. So 32bit is the only way right now.

3. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    Yah, i know that, but, there is a user that has succed (maxtorag) but i cannot post in that post cause is in the advance rivatuner, i know that 8.391 can support it, but the way to do it is modifying the installation .inf, but i don't know what line i must modify or add.

Thanks.

4. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    well the line in the INF would be

"ATI FireGL V8600" = ati2mtag_R600GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9400

except there is no configs for R600GL in the 8.391.2.1.1.1

you can try to copy all the R600GL settings from the 8.44 INF files and paste them into the 8.391.2.1.1.1 INF file that's probably what he did..

5. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    I tried it and doesn't run.

I maked it work, but i think the way was that:

Driver Sweeper

Install HD2900XT drivers

Install patched drivers (patched as 8600, not 8650)
    with the inf modified in the following way:

"ATI FireGL V8600" = ati2mtag_RV630GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9400

Spec perf benchmark with the radeon drivers was 12 points and with this drivers is 20,but i think something is no working at full power cause the driver is understanding the card as a RV630GL, no as a R600GL.

I'll keep investigating, but if maxtorag can post his method it will be better cause they get the full power and gets 40 point in specviewperf.

maxtorag,please answer!!!!!

6. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    try PM him.

or PM "schoko" the one who makes the patchscript.

7. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    i tried, i'm waiting his response, also i haved PM maxtorag, and also waiting any response :)

8. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    HELP please.
    I tried the modification, the drivers install as a RV630GL and as a R600GL but, the specviewperf doesn't work well, they give me a lot less performance than when they where hd2900xt, help please, the two users that i PM does not answer me and i buy this card for my boss, i told him that that card can be converted in fire gl, as i read in this forum, please i need help, i'm in a big trouble if i did not reach some succes with this, and the worst thing is that i know that i can succes but i dont know how, help please.

9. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    well like i told u before that the driver doesn't support it. RV630GL is drivers for the laptop chip.. never meant for the HD2900XT.

use XP 32 and the 32 bit patchscript for the 8.44 drivers no need for 64bit xp.

10. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    well, actually we really need xp64 cause our machines are Dual Quad Core Xeons 5345 with 8Gb of RAM that windows xp32 cannot manage :s, but how maxtorage could be cappable of modding it if the drivers doesn't support it, and why is there, in the patchscript for this drivers, a section to mod the HD2900XT to an 8650 ?

If it's not possible i like to shoclo or maxtorage say something about that, but no one is answering me :s if someone can contact schoko or maxtorage and ask for this trouble, i'm sure that fore them it is a simple solved problem.

Please

P.D.: but thanks for your replies boogah, you are the unique person that is answering me :)

11. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon HD2900XT @ FireGL V8650
    Hi guys!
    Have not been browsing forums recently, so that's why I was not answering.
    I think everything is explained in the thread you mentioned at the beginning, but if the only problem of yours is the *.inf modification, the easiest way is to dl 8.44 x64 drivers, unpack them, take a look at the corresponding file and just do a comparison of those two (e.g. with Word's compare and merge), and change the 8.39 *.inf accordingly, plus don't forget to change the vendor's id as mentioned in previous post.

12. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    To make it even easier, following is an archive with all the needed files in order to get the mod working with WinXP x64 and 8.391.2.1110 x64 driver
    Just replace the originally extracted ones with included files (folder convention is preserved). PLus, DO clean all the ATi related stuff in you PC before doing this mod, plus DON'T install the CCC.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/108335611/FireGL_XP64_53846.7z.html
    Hope this helps.
    Let me know

13. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    thanks for sharing maxtorag (^__^)-b

14. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    Thanks Maxtorage

15. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    i dont know why, but, the drivers installed correctly, i have the control panel, but the results in specviewperf are really dissapointing me, i get a maximun points of 11-13 in the max test :s :s ithink something is not installing ok, maxtorage, what are your results for the tests?

16. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Well, there might be a glitch in drivers.
    First...do you see the advanced options in Control Panel? (where you select misc preference apps)
    If you use Maya, do you see semitransparent time-slider?
    Second...did you wipe-out all remains of ATi stuff before installing drivers?
    Did you run one thread 1280*1024 64bit Specview 10?

If all answers were yes:
    Sometimes, I don't really know why, the drivers don't start-up correctly and they act even worse than Radeon's, but that happened to me probably twice out of thousand starts...just restart.
    There might be a need for clean WinXP reinstall.

My scores for maya are around 206. I don't really remember exact number...there might be something in the other relevant threads.

The only real problem I have, apart from Maya being sometimes unstable, is a selection bug described in other threads.

Good advice...in Windows...Start-up Services (msconfig), turn off ATi Hotkey Poller. Can be unstable and freeze the PC when you are often Alt-Tabbing or so.

17. boogah

boogah Member Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 295 Quad-SLI
    so you still have the selection bug ? that's probably from a setting inside the INF that inherit from the 8.44 drivers.

^__^

18. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    right now i'm doing a clean win xp x64 install, and i'm not going to install radeons drivers and any other drivers, just firegl modified drivers...will see :) i'll report here as soon as i installed

19. juang3d

juang3d Active Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870 1024mb
    Ok, it works, but the results from the test are a bit low

In maya i have 190 and in max 23, the drivers MUST be running, cause the installation of windows is completly fresh and i don't have any other drivers in the system, also i don't have the Direct3D and the OpelGL tabs in the advanced display settings.

Some advice?

Thanks

20. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    well, the maya result is quite good...depending on the card and system, it could varii between 190 and 210. It is definitely the score of FireGL, not Radeon :grad:
    I don't know about max, try to compare with official results.
    For the CP, did you replace the atiicdxx.dat in the BIN folder and install the CP manually by starting the setup.exe from MCP64A folder?
    You may need to delete the ati2mtag.sy_ file in the driver folder before installing the driver so it does not intervene.
    The easiest way to check if the driver works is to start maya and see whether the time slider indicator is semi-transparent.