FireGL 8600 mod for 2900XT finally released

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by AlecRyben, Sep 9, 2007.

1. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    uhm, well.... this is new for me.
    but how .... is it possible to tell the graphics driver to use bios information of the mainboard for card identification ? not the card itself ? hmmm...

if this is correct then the driver only has this information stated in the CX_53893.inf. How about just changing the the subsys id in CX_53893.inf ?
    maybe that all that needs to be done, since i don´t see any other possibilty for driver to identify the card.

if i´m just stupid please feel free ...:O:knock:

//edit :

just have read a bit too fast, but yes you are correct, both machines are identical. and your proposal is to flash the bios of the 8510w to the 8510p ?
    hmmm.... might be a way. but actually i´ve not seen a 8510 with a v5600 mobility yet. the only config i have really seen was with nvidia quadro. do they have dropped the v5600, or is it just delayed since ati themselves have not yet announced and released such a card. neither is there an official driver for this card.......

edit //

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  2. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    Hi again

I have a selection lag bug: with the latest modded drivers and the maya.env trick, it takes around 4 seconds for any click to have effects in hand1.ma
    this was very, very annoying when the lag was 16 seconds; with 4 seconds it's not optimal but I can work

I also have a selection bug: when I click on the first hand, but in an area where the second hand lies behind, it is the second hand that gets selected, despite the first one being closer to the camera (and that spot of the second hand not being seen), because it is higher in the outliner
    this is also quite annoying, but you can also live quite happily with it

I think quadroFX370 or 570 would make you happier, but if (like me) you already have the ati card, it's not the end of the world (nor does it mean you have to throw it away)

I think you could use these v5600 modded drivers for your hd2600mobility: I tried the V3600 drivers on my HD2600XT and they worked, so as long as the chip is not substantially different it should work (you might just loose some battery life because of some mobility features not being implemented in this driver); just remember: choose from a list > I have a disk; I hope it doesn't explode...

(I always wonder why would anybody need real computing power, or pro features, in a laptop...)

3. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    Well ... the video card is welded to the motherboard so there's a 99% chance that the video bios is INSIDE the motherboard bios.

NOW: The hardware IS the same BUT both the bioses are different so that the radeon gets the firegl extensions on the w laptop line. THIS IS 100% true for nc8430 and nw8440 line laptops... i've did a lod of digging around on this line.

The BAD news: HP uses proprietary bios tools for their business line laptops so there will never be any modding or decompiling decrypting of HP n-line laptops...

The GOOD news: well... there is no telling when ... but a driver mod "should" be possible... especially on these nearly identical configurations.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    I really hope so. My Hp8510P still was not replaced by a new unit. But once i get the replacement i´ll give it a try and exchange the subsys id´s for hd 2600 mobility and v5600 mobilty. Since the device id´s are the same, i hope that´s just what it needs to get the v5600 capabilities installed.

But how about the control panel ? As i´ve seen HP does only offer the driver with CCC, and no more the drivers without the catalyst control panel . how about that ? Does it actually check the hardware, or will it only look for the driver that´s installed ? I really would love to have the settings for the professional opengl settings in CCC.
    Sorry to bother you with this question, but i really don´t know how this CCC works.

thanks a lot for your info so far.

5. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    it won't work... if it were that easy i would have been done by now...

6. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    yeah, i thought so.
    but hope dies at last......

//edit
    just checked the bios of the 8510w and the8510p. and guess what.... both are the same. you are even downloading the same file, no matter if you are at the drivers section of 8510w or 8510p.
    so i guess it´s not the bios itself that determines what the card will be - professional or consumercard. there must be something else. what is left then - where can the difference between those two machines be. do they have some id-chip on the board, that is used to identify the different mainboards. ??
    //

anyway, thanks a lot for your informations, was quite helpful.

best

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  7. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    @norman
    with the poly selection bug I guess the modded 2600XT turns out to be a great card for animators working on large scenes but not for modelers working on very hi-polys...Also painteffects works beautifully...
    Even with the maya.env script the vertices selection on hi-poly objects is darn slow...
    Definitely a driver issue and will be solved in future driver updates, but will there be modded drivers for those ones..thats the Q...

8. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    The bios IS different... even on the nx9420/nw9440 you download the same bios file even if one has ati the other nvidia... the bios updater decides which one to flash.

9. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Can someone confirm...
    Do the modded FireGL 8600 have poly selection issues thats prevalent with modded FireGL V5600 and the original ones...

10. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon HD2900XT @ FireGL V8650
    Yes, the issue is also present with V8600 mod. There is a way to "solve" it, though. What I usually do with HPoly scenes...on my wide LCD, I have the view split between camera and outliner and use for selecting just the outliner. Works in real time.

11. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    thanks for the info

let's hope they solve it, sooner rather than later

12. laverdir

laverdir Member

is bios chip soldered to mainboard??

if not, just order the workstation bios and switch the chips..

13. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    vijaynair is right! This driver is a dream for animator like me who work with Maya... unfortunately I do not own a Radeon 2600 or 2900. I need to get a new computer soon though. There's just one thing that bothers me about these cards: noise and power consumption. Since the new 3800 Radeon series cards just came out I wonder if anyone could test the hacked driver in any of these cards. Is there any reason why it would not work?

I also read that there might be a way to use the driver on a notebook but I got lost on the details of bios and it got too technical for me. I'm still undecided on what should I get, a desktop or notebook (I live in Japan now but I will be moving once in a while and I will like to carry my computer with me)

Now that the poly selection bug is almost gone in Maya I just pray for a 64bit release of this awesome driver.

One more question. Has anybody tried ZBrush using this driver?

14. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    my 2600XT consumes just a little amount of power, and doesn't get hot at all (it uses the same heatsink as a 7600GT I've also used, and that one run the fan noticeable faster, while also reporting higher temperatures)

it does produce some annoying noise, as the fan is not running constantly at a given speed: it's usually completely stopped or spinning slowly, and sometimes it throttles up for a just few seconds, so it is not so much loud as disruptive; I suppose I could solve this with rivatuner, but I haven't tried that yet

about the 3800 and 64 bit drivers... yes, it would be nice

15. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Did you say "poly selection bug gone" ? How?
    The small script just reduces the lag but its very much there...

ZBrush is very much processor and RAM centric...Its not much dependent on Graphic card.

16. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Sorry, the high power consumption problem is only applied to the 2900 cards, not the 2600.

I didn't say "poly selection bug gone" ...but "almost gone". Waiting 4 seconds to visualize the polygon selection you made might be a pain (with XSI, everytime I interact with something outside the program like checking a playblast or opening Firefox, it takes around a minute for XSI to become responsive... maybe that's why I'm getting bald >_<) but again, I'm an animator and I do little modeling while at work. At home, well that's another story. That's why I asked about ZBrush. I know it doesn't use the video card power but I was wondering if there are any glitches or visual artifacts.

If there's someone with a 3850 or 3870 out there, please give the hacked driver a try! It would be nice to see if this driver works with the new ATI cards.

17. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    by the way, I've already used the card for some real stuff, and I have to say that the "select object that is higher in the outliner" bug is so far much more painful for me than the "take a while to respond to clicks when in high-poly scenes" one

the solution is either to use the outliner to select stuff, or to work in wireframe, constantly rotating and zooming and being careful where you click; not nice, but I'm already getting used to it

18. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    @Norman
    This bug is also present in the original FireGL series and rest assured there will be a driver update. They cant carry on with this bug...

19. ogiacummo

ogiacummo New Member

3dsmax 2008

Hi guy

this mod is great! i'll buy a 2900 pro 1gb.. did someone have a problem with 3dsmax 2008??

thanks for all

20. polypusher

polypusher Member

GPU:
    quadro 3400
    So any word yet on x64 drivers?