FireGL 8600 mod for 2900XT finally released

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by AlecRyben, Sep 9, 2007.

1. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    Hi Guys,
    it´s been a while since i´ve been here.
    I´m gonna buy a new notebook soon. Very soon. Probably have to make a decision in the next 2 days.

I just wanted to ask if there is a driver for mobility radeon 2600 out yet ?
    Or can i do it myself ?

I remember modding a driver for a thinkpad with x1400.Instructions were given by samov.Since there was no FireGl-Equivalent for this card i had to create a new Id for this card and customize the drivers *.inf
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=143127&page=7

Since i don´t see (maybe i´m just blind) any firegl mobility based on a hd x2600 mobility, is it possible to mod a newer mobility driver by the same procedure ?

Atm i´ve got to make a choice between the Asus V1S (8600M Gt) and the Hp 8510p(hd x2600 ).
    Since i´m working a lot with Maya/Rhino/Microstation i´d prefer a highend cad card like the fx1600m, but notebooks with this chip mostly don´t meet my expectations ( too big, too heavy, and way too expensive)

Any hint concerning the moddability of the mobility chip would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. Snuggles020

Snuggles020 New Member

GPU:
    FireGl v8600 (2900XT)
    The new drivers off the Korean site added nearly 60 points to my specviewperf score!!!!!! (v8600 mod)

3. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    Found it, seems there is a mobility firegl 5600 , though ati/amd do not habve announced it there is a driver for this mobile chip.

Seems like HP does want to implement this chip in their 8510w notebook.
    I did actually buy a 8510p with a hd2600 mobility.
    I am curios , since ati did not announce the mobility firegl 5600, how did HP manage to get this driver for a mobility chip that is not available ?
    Just a driver mod ?

Anyway this is from HP´s driver

Code:
    CX_53893.inf

[ATI.Mfg.NTx86]
    "ATI Mobility FireGL V5600" = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_30DF103C
    "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600" = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_30C5103C

I´ll probably get my new HP 8510p tomorrow. Will have a closer look at the drivers tomorrow.

best

4. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    I didnt get you?

Are there any new driver mods released...any updated ones apart from the ones released about 2 months back. Any new mod?

Please, can someone clarify?

5. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  6. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    The new 2600xt driver does not work at all :(
    Mine is Saphire HD2600XT 256MB DDR3...
    Reverting to old modded driver...Guess have to live with the selection bug...

7. zve

zve Member

GPU:
    Asus EAX1950pro@firegl v7350
    ре

I tried it is work the new drivers but not in setup.exe
    Just have disk and choose the drivers manual
    and instal only control panel

8. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Thanks mate...Yes, it bumped my Maya specopc scores from 128 to 145...

Viewport panning is fastest I have seen but the selection bug in Maya still persists in very hi poly scenes.
    Just open the hand1.ma file in the SPECapc suite and select the object to see what I mean. It stalls/waits for about 4 seconds. Then try and select vertices and it stalls for an annoying 8 seconds or so...Thats unacceptable :(
    I tried the same operations on my age old Quadro FX540 and it selected instantly...

Hope future releases solve these problems.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  9. nicola.micali

nicola.micali Member

i'm using the old mod driver... the new driver from the setup.exe said you don't have this hardware.
    are this new driver better than the old one? how can i make them work?

thanks

10. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    As zve pointed out...
    Properties->Settings->Advanced->Adapter->Properties->Driver and manually install from there...

11. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I also get that annoying selection lag that vijaynair described

there's a couple of new quadros in the cheap side: the 370 gets a 52 in maya and costs 133eur, while the 570 gets a 73 and costs 210 eur; if these were available when I bought my pc, maybe I would have gone for them; after all these problems, if the selection-lag in maya doesn't happen with quadro cards, it seems the best choice (though maybe I'm skewed because of other problems I'm having with my hd2600xt)

12. nicola.micali

nicola.micali Member

i'll try tonight, if i remember well last time i did in this way and the result was "no better dirver found". do i have to pick from a list and then click on "i have a disk"?

thanks
    Nicola

13. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    exactly

for the selection problem...
    download SPECapc maya benchmark
    from maya, open the scene called hand1 (or something like that)
    select any of the three hands --> there's a problem if it takes a while between your click and the hand being highlighted
    right-click to go to vertex mode --> there's a problem if you have to hold that click for ages until the context menu appears
    select some vertices --> there's a problem if it takes a while between your click-and-drag and the vertices being highlighted
    right click to go to object mode --> there's a problem if you have to hold that click for ages until the context menu appears

14. nicola.micali

nicola.micali Member

ok thanks.
    i let you know asap

15. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    yesterday I put an unmodded geforce7600GT in my system, and I could check that there is no selection problem with that consumer level nvidia card

I used maya 8.5PLE
    I opened the hand1.ma scene from specapc maya benchmark, and measured the fps while panning/zooming/rotating camera, and also the lag between clicking and actual highlighting, and right-clicking and appearance of the context menu

GF7600GT
    frame rate: 12fps
    click lag: 1.5 to 3 seconds

HD2600XT@fireGLv5600
    frame rate: 150fps
    click lag: 12 to 16 seconds

so there you go: 12 times higher fps (and specviewperf result, surely), and still it is MUCH more confortable to work with the geforce card in this high-poly scene

moral of the story: go for a quadroFX370 or quadroFX570; I believe they are the pro versions of the infamous GF8300GS and GF8400GS, but they are not extremely expensive (133 and 210eur respectively), they get respectable specviewperf results, and they work with less glitches
    (don't be fooled by the meagre performance of their consumer level cards: you will rightly feel cheated, paying 5x the price for the same card, but the 570 gets a maya score quite close to that of the 1500, which was based on a GF7900!! in games, it would be like day and night, but in pro apps the unified shader architecture seems to be of great, great help)

16. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    @normanbates

did you try what nazz78 did propose ?

17. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I hadn't tried, but I have tried now: it reduces the lag to around 5 to 7 seconds, which is much shorter than it used to be, but still bigger than with quadro cards

I'll try the new modded drivers together with this fix, and post again

18. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    done: with the new modded driver, selection-lag in hand1.ma is around 12 seconds; with "MAYA_NO_VERTEX_ARRAY_SELECT = 1" in Maya.env it goes down to under 4 seconds

I'm happy enough with that, thanks a lot for reminding me of that tip

I still think a quadroFX570 would be better than this, and worth the extra 120eur, but I already have my HD2600XT@FireGLv5600 working correctly (no artifacts, no freezes, manageable selection lag), so let's see if I can stop tuning this new PC and start using it for something really useful for a change

19. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    thank a lot for sharing your experiences. it´s quite useful for me to see what´s possible. But i still got one question for you normanbates. Do you have the selection bug ( wrong objects are selected ) too in maya ?

And now again a thing i have asked some days ago. I do have a HP 8510P notebook with hd 2600 mobility, and i´m curious how hard it will be to make a customized driver.

Right now it seems as if ati did still not implement the hd 2600 mobility series into their mobility driver. Same is for the mobility firegl drivers.
    Only solution for the hd 2xxx mobilty series to get an updated driver e.g. the catalyst 10 is to modify it with DH mobility modder.

HP somehow had the plan to implement the v5600 mobility ( hd2600 core) into their 8510w workstation model. And they do have a driver on their website which states that :

This is from the CX_53893.inf :

[ATI.Mfg.NTx86]
    "ATI Mobility FireGL V5600" = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_30DF103C

"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600" = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_30C5103C

actually this v5600 mobility firegl does not exist, but i think if this device id is correct the driver can be modded without any problems.

Afaik i thought the mod worked in that way , that atim2tag.sys had to be forced to use the device id for the specific card. in this case both device id´s are the same = 9581 , it´s just the subsys_id thats different. So is it in this case possible to just change subsys id in the CX_53893.inf ?
    Somebody please correct me if i´m wrong here.

I would test it now , if i had my new HP 8510p, but after 8 hours of working my ac-adapter exploded and right now i´m waiting for HP to collect the old unit and send me a new notebook.

Maybe samov or alex got something to say about this. Should it be possible ?

cheers

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  20. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    Well.... i've noticed this some time ago too...

In Hp mobile workstations there is NO new device id to define a firegl... only the subsystem id differs... and that, is not related to the video card BUT to the mother board

30DF is the motherboard from the 8510p while 30C5 is the one from 8510w... 103C is the manufacturer code of HP.

Now we all know that the systems are actually IDENTICAL... hardware wise which leads me to believe that the separation is done IN THE BIOS...

So.... the same card and the same motherboard... used in two lines of laptops ... with two bioses(each containing a slightly different video bios i presume)... one is 8510w with the firegl ... one is the 8510p with the radeon.