FireGL 8600 mod for 2900XT finally released

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by AlecRyben, Sep 9, 2007.

1. zve

zve Member

GPU:
    Asus EAX1950pro@firegl v7350
    Have one more
    4) 256 MB RAM DDR3
    i thing the best choice 1) 512MB RAM DDR3
    because ddr4 is much more expensive and is 5% better it is your design
    there are news about the driver for xp-64 and vista-64?
    about this question the answer is NO!!!

2. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    hi again

here are the real glinfo numbers:

HD2600XT: 1/60
    v5600mod: 1/62

I don't know if this means anything. I know maya is usually at least twice as fast with the mod.

about the memory... this is my card:
    http://www.alternate.es/html/productDetails.html?artno=JAXHAQ
    it's an HD2600XT with 256MB DDR3, at the price of a HD2600pro, so I don't think there's much to complain.
    512MB might be faster, but I have 4GB of system memory, and mapping those 512MB would reduce thosr 4GB to 3GB instead of 3.25GB, so it could also be a problem for other stuff I have to do with that PC besides maya.
    I think GDDR4 is too expensive for the improvements it brings

(by the way, in the german version of alternate they already list the real v3600 and v5600, at 250 and 480 eur respectively, so the maker of this mod saved me 160eur and gave me a 30% better performing card... and about a month earlier too!! THANKS A LOT, DUDE!!!)

3. nazz78

nazz78 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 2
    Hello everybody!

Exactly the same problem here. I have Sapphire Radeon HD 2600XT, 512 Mb, DDR3. Only difference is that this is happening to me in Maya!

It is happening only on polygons, when i tested it with NURBS everything was ok. I found out the object picked is the highest in the outliner. Looks like it has something to do with the "Pick chooser" option - as if turn it on and select the first object in the list, which opens when i click on object, which has some objects behind it...

I ve been trying to instal regular Radeon drivers, older versions Radeon drivers, reinstall Windows, ... nothing helped, allways getting the same problem.

As for the deley in selection: there is a workaround - looks like problems nVidia cards had with core 2 duo processors - you can put the line: "MAYA_NO_VERTEX_ARRAY_SELECT = 1" in Maya.env file and selection will be faster. Not as fast as NURBS though. But that does not solve the problem with wrong object selected...

The only solution i found so far to get the RIGHT polyobject selected FAST is to uninstall all ati drivers and let windows install its default drivers. Of course that is no solution, as viewport gets too slow, however the right polyobject gets selected fast! So, i assume it is a driver issue...

This problem is getting me nuts, i have been dealing with it the last three days and it does not look to good.... Thinking of replacing the card with some nVidia...

Regards,
    Nejc

4. ccfly

ccfly New Member

and for vista 32 bit i download mod for 2600xt but it say only for xp ??

5. zve

zve Member

GPU:
    Asus EAX1950pro@firegl v7350
    re

I put the driver from have disk and it is OK :)

6. ccfly

ccfly New Member

here say all time you got best driver for card 2600xt ??
    how you do that on vista 32 ??

7. nicola.micali

nicola.micali Member

hi all,
    thank you for your answer. if i understood well you suggest more ram because ddr4 is just a little bit faster it is correct?
    however i found an offer here in US for the MSI RX2600XT diamond plus (512MG DDR4) for 160 dollars, just 30$ more than the ddr3 version. now it is out of stock but if it become in stock soon i'll buy it.
    if you have other suggestion please let me know.

i'm very worried about the driver mod@FireGL for 64 bit... i need them, is there any chance of having this driver soon?
    so it is possible install this driver on vista 32? how?

thank you very much
    Nicola

8. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    no, no sign of 64 bit drivers yet

I have no idea if these work on vista32, but anyway vista32 seems a completely unwise choice to me, so I don't care

yes, 512mb is better than 256mb, but we still don't know how much better

we do know how much better GDDR4 is and, to me, $30 still seems too expensive for it

9. Jerko

Jerko New Member

I am about to buy a new laptop wich I will use for arhcicad, autocad, and sometimes maxwell render studio. I am intereseted in Toshiba A200-1MI. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade the graphic card on that laptop with this driver. Would the results be good? Thanks

10. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    by the looks of what software you're planning to use ... you would not need the modded driver..

11. nicola.micali

nicola.micali Member

hi NormanBates in this week i'm gonna buy the card but i have another question but it is off topic: i saw in your computer description that you have a q6600 processor (quad core 2.4 ghz) how did you oc it to 3 ghz? i have the same processor in a hp computer and i want to do the same. thank you very much
    Nicola

12. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    To OC your processor the motherboard has to have the feature in the BIOS. Currently HP does not allow OC-ing on their motherboards.

13. nicola.micali

nicola.micali Member

so no way to do it?

14. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    nope... UNLESS... you may check out your motherboard... it's tricky... i had an hp desktop too and the motherboard was manufactured by MSI and MSI had a similar model... i mean, an EXACT copy and i took the risk and flashed it with the MSI bios... and it worked flawlessly... might give it a shot and try to find if yours is the same.

15. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    as samov said, you need to go to the BIOS to change the FSB and CPU voltage
    if your motherboard doesn't allow that, you're out of luck
    flashing a motherboard with the wrong BIOS is very, very likely kill it, so be very, very careful; I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you decide that it's worth to spend 100eur in a new motherboard just to get that overclock; in that case, you can first try to flash the HP board: if it works, you're done, but if it doesn't, then you buy a new one, and throw away the broken one
    and mind you: you may also need a better heatsink than what HP has installed in your system, and a better case, and a better power supply... computer makers typically use very basic components (I spent about 300eur in my heatsink+case+fans+psu setup, while I could have got somethink that just works for about 50eur)

16. johnster

johnster New Member

=================================================
    Video Card: Softmod 2600Pro to FireGL V3600
    Display Type:
    File Name | FPS
    =================================================
    4viewports.MAX | 49.6032
    8direct.MAX | 304.414
    8omni.MAX | 272.48
    8spot.MAX | 284.495
    blitting.MAX | 690.608
    dualplanes.MAX | 611.933
    geometry1.MAX | 252.738
    geometry2.MAX | 128.866
    multitex.MAX | 1.48699
    rasterize.MAX | 571.429
    textured1.MAX | 170.222
    textured2.MAX | 109.409
    textured3.MAX | 104.232
    transpar.MAX | 140.371
    wireframe1.MAX | 15.0
    wireframe2.MAX | 14.5124

Comp High: 109.231
    Comp Low: 104.572

17. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT softmodded to Quadro
    If you're lucky, look up the IC on the mobo for controling the clock (ie. the clock generator). If it's supported by clockgen, you could do a mild overclock within Windows. It worked well for me with my PC-DL. Since the PCI/PCIE/AGP slots probably aren't locked, you're looking at a limit of about 20mhz over stock if it's AMD based (ie. 220fsb is your max).

I don't have an Intel system so you're on your own for finding the max on that, but I'd imagine it'd be similar.

Crystalcpuid also *sometimes* lets you do so. It's main benefit, back in the day, was with the MSI Athlon dual board (enabling MP features on XP procs).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  18. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    The selection bug in Maya is annoying...:(

19. johnster

johnster New Member

pls upload the updated drivers please...

20. meil

meil New Member

Do you guys think we will be seeing a 64 bit version of this mod?