FireGL 8600 mod for 2900XT finally released

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by AlecRyben, Sep 9, 2007.

1. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    yep, you are not digging deep enough......

take a look at this part of the script :

and compare it with the device id´s in here

R600GL V8650 capabilities (HD2900 XT) = device id 9400
    R600GL V8600 capabilities (HD2900 Pro) = device id 9403
    R600GL V7600 capabilities (HD2900 GT) = device id 9405

if you want to make this script work with your card, you should check for the device id of your card !

a list of ati´s device id´s you will find here :
    http://ati.amd.com/developer/vendorid.html

but be sure to double check that id by right clicking on your desktop -> properties->settings->advanced->graphics adapter -> there you should see the device id . should be something like 0x9400.

if you have your device id is 9400, all you need to change in that patch script is this line :

Dst8_4 = 0F B7 85 FE FE FF FF 66 25 00 00 66 0D 00 94 66 89 85 FE FE FF FF 90

and for the better selection when patching you should edit that :
    DstVar4 = force R600GL V8650 capabilities (hd2900xt)

after that you save the script and run it. all should be fine now.......
    don´t forget to edit the device id in the driver inf !

best

2. hippotek

hippotek New Member

Which is the latest driver the script works with?

3. maxtorag

maxtorag Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon HD2900XT @ FireGL V8650
    Thanks shoko very much...I am gonna do it today

4. Fr4ggle

Fr4ggle Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GT
    Hey folks,

I've been quite busy in the past few days reading several threads about both Quadro- and FireGL-mods.
    My concern is not to waste money on a professional GFX but to get SolidWorks' RealView running.
    First I was aiming for a GeForce 6800 GT as I wanted to modify it with RivaTuner to a Quadro FX 3400.
    But unfortunately RealView is said not to run with that kind of mod on a GeForce 6800 GT PCIe.

Source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=1636176&postcount=4

So I started looking for FireGL-mods and I am quite happy that I found this thread here.
    But of course I am wondering if a driver based FireGL-mod does not bear the same problem.
    Is RealView going to work on an modded Radeon HD 2600!?

I know RealView is just eye-candy but thanks to ebay it could be quite affordable eye-candy imho.

RealView™

RealView™ Screen Shots

5. thisismyname09

thisismyname09 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3850 > FireGL v7700
    hallo all,

i've been looking around these threads, and i've stumbled upon something that may be relevant to your interests. on the chinese website the 2600 and 2900 drivers are from, there's a small shoutbox thinger. the more recent posts mention "R670" and "3850." i ran them through a free translator, but (as usual with these things) it doesn't make much sense. although one did mention something along the lines of "correction with the 3850" [driver, i'm assuming], so a 38xx softmod may already be in the works. there were also a few posts that seemed to ask for a 64bit version of the 2900 drivers, but i couldn't tell if there was a response saying yes or no.

i also have a question. :eek:
    do these drivers speed up render times (in 3dsmax, specifically)? most of the models i work with are generally low-poly (i'm mostly doing animation for a game modification), but i've also been doing some pretty time-consuming renders. just single frames take quite a while.

6. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    this mainly affects viewport performance

it may also affect renders if you chosse the hardware renderer, but with the more common mentalray there's no difference at all (everything is done in the CPU)

7. Fragmichnicht

Fragmichnicht Member

GPU:
    8800 GT

On an unrelated note, there are some bad news. Nvidia have bought Mental Images GmbH (Berlin) last year. So we are maybe just one step away form a hardware supported mentalray renderer. Okay, at first that sounds great, more speed and it makes sense, let's the dedicated chips do the job for which they are made. But on the other hand I believe Nvidia will offer that feature only for Quadro Devices, like the Gelato renderer in the past. And so it's possible, that we will need such evil Quadro thing soon, if we like to use Mentalray in the future. I really hate that!
    :bounce: :rpg:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  8. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    to Fragmichnicht, still offtopic:

that's not really new, and maybe it's not as bad as you think

* you'll still get the same performance you get now if you don't go Quadro; you'll only want a Quadro if performance is dramatically increased, which, I believe, would be good (specially if it can work on the cheap Quadros, like FX370 and FX570, or whatever they sell by then)

* maybe it has no effect at all on professional users, as I'm not so sure they wanted MentalImages for their final renderer: maybe they were just buying raytraceing know-how. Raytracing is definitely in the future of gaming, and it looks quite close now that Intel hired the guy who created Quake3raytraced and Quake4raytraced for their Larrabee project; maybe they want to go the same way, fast, and needed lots of people with raytracing experience, as opposed to their "rasterization people"

yet again, they may make a beautiful MentalRay hardware renderer that only works on FX4600 kind of hardware, and we will want it so hardly that CPU rendering will look awful and unbearable...

9. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    Hi everybody

I've just tried the new script that schoko told us about, and it's working

selection bug is still here, and I don't see any differences in that matter (somebody said it was "not so bad" now; maybe we are just getting used to it)

selection lag is still here too, but it is nowhere as bad as it was: in hand.ma, selection lag has gone from 12 seconds to 4 seconds in my system (I'm not so sure about that 12, but the 4 has just been measured)

nothing seems to be working worse than it did before

10. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    by the way, I have just done it, and I have written myself some mental notes about the procedure

just in case it's useful to anybody:

LINKS:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=227800&page=1&pp=15:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2545291&postcount=178
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2554295&postcount=189
    (use the script in the 178 post, the other one differs slightly)

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/previous/firegl/fireglv-8-391-2-1-1-1-xp.html

INSTRUCTIONS:

download appropriate drivers

download rivatuner

unpack drivers (do as if you were to install, then cancel as soon as it offers you that option)

install rivatuner

get appropriate script, save it as .rts

doubleclick on that .rts file, so that it is run
    on the bottom-left, choose the right fireGL target (force XXXX capabilities)
    tell it where the ati2mtag.sy_ from your unpacked drivers is
    (usually \Driver\2KXP_INF\B_19827\ati2mtag.sy_)
    (you may have to convince it that this is the file it wants...)

find out your VGA's id
    from cgsociety's forum instructions:
    Launch RivaTuner, in the Main tab you should see a line like this:
    "256-bit R350 (8x1) with 128MB DDR memory Customize..."
    Click on the little button next to "Customize..." and select "Graphics subsystem diagnostic report" (4th icon from the left). Scroll down till you see "Display adapter information" and right under that there should be a line Device ID : xxxx. Copy that number (where xxxx are) or write it down somewhere.
    in my case it is 9588

go to your unpacked and partly modded drivers
    find CX_53876.inf, usually in \Driver\2KXP_INF
    open it, go to the [ATI.Mfg.NTx86] section
    Find the firegl that you want to mod your radeon into and modify it's DEV with your cards "Device ID"
    Be aware that normal and Secondary adapter deviceID's usually differ in third digit. Change only the digit that is different between your deviceID and FireGL device id in both lines of the .inf file.
    In my case, there is no secondary, so I only changed the primary ID.

save the file, close everything you have still open

install drivers:
    * right click on MyPC > properties > Hardware > devices
    * find your VGA adapter, double click on it, tell it to update driver
    * select "not now", "manually-advanced", "from a list", "I have a disk"
    * browse to your modded drivers, to CX_53876.inf, and install those drivers
    * reboot
    * enjoy

11. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Thanks Norman. Will try it this weekend.
    But its disapointing that the selection bugs(lag and order) persist albeit to a lesser level. Maybe another patch and we will be free from these bugs.

12. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
  13. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I'm using 8.391.2.1.1.1

I didn't know about 8.44, I hadn't seen that new thread

I'll try it and report back on selection lag and selection bug

14. schoko

schoko Member Guru

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
  15. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    Hi again

I have just installed the modded 8.44 drivers, and I haven't seen any differences with 8.391.2.111:

* the selection bug is still here
    * the selection lag is just like the one in 8.391.2.111; in particular, in hand.ma:
    - 3.5 seconds for selecting a hand
    - 7 seconds for selecting a hand if it's behind another one (but higher in the outliner, so it gets selected)
    - 15 seconds if you try to select some vertices in one hand (or right-click to exit vertex mode!!)

I'll stay with 8.44, but just because they are working already

EDIT: sorry, I forgot...
    in any case... thanks a lot for keeping up with those patches!!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008

16. freerider

freerider New Member

I saw people successed to patch the HD3850 into a firesteam9170 in a chinese forum. The result from SPECopc is very impressed with over 200 points in Maya02.

I hope someone with HD3850 can try the patch and test in maya see if the selection bug was gone.

take a look at this link:
    http://www.newbietech.net/bbs/cn/viewthread.php?tid=10694&extra=page=1

17. Johnpv

Johnpv Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    Are you sure you're getting the updated drivers to install? Because I'm not experiencing any of that. In one of the scenes I'm working on I have a group that has over 3 million polys in it, and I see no noticeable difference in selection speed between my modded 2600XT and a real Quadro FX 150 on another system.

I'm working in Maya 8.5 and 2008.

I'm on the october release of the 8.39, haven't installed the 8.44 drivers yet.

18. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    with a 7600GT I get 1.5 to 3 seconds selection lag in hand.ma, so maybe it's something else in my system (maybe the fact that I'm using PLE instead of full comercial maya)

in fact, maybe there's something else that's wrong in my system, because I get occasional maya hang-ups (which have become more frequent since I updated the driver from the october mod)

in any case, windows says the new driver is installed, and viewport performance says the driver has been successfully modded (on one occasion I screwed up the modding process and viewport performance was awful, so I would say it is really using the driver I'm telling it to use)

19. vijaynair

vijaynair Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    @john
    Strangely the hand.ma seems to eek out these hangups more than other hi-poly scenes I tried...

20. Johnpv

Johnpv Member

GPU:
    HD4870

If you're getting the lag on an Nvidia card that doesn't have that bug then yeah, I would wager its something else going on with your system.

Any Idea how many polys the hand is? I can't imagine it's anywhere near a million. I don't have the specview program installed any more otherwise I would check.