Firefox? What about Brave and Chromium? Chromium especially since it's open-source.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Reclusive781, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    How come no one ever mentions those two browsers as a Chrome alternative? I honestly like them better than Firefox. They also work better on my linux PC than Firefox. Not a single app hang unlike Firefox.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Librewolf.
    Palemoon.

I use a fair amount of browsers, but I favour Firefox based browsers, just because Chrome engine started a quiet monopoly on web browsing.

3. octoreach

octoreach Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    I like Vivaldi based on Chromium. Also, its Android version has a built-in ad-blocker, very nice feature.
    Brave has had a few missteps and 180 degree turns in their history, which makes them quite shady, not very reputable in my view.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I tried brave on ios cause it had built in ad blocking, it wasnt as good as safari + adguard blocking, but greaat for iOS way better chrome or firefox but on pc i still use mostly cause I dont feel like migrate stuff to brave for everything

I thought palemood development ended? or was that cyberfox?

Not fan of Chrome browser or Edge for that matter, mostly cause to similar and most similarity, are actual reason why I dont like them

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023

5. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    no good browser out there, days of using one browser for everything and be happy for long time are way in the past..

tried so many of them over the last two or so years,

kinza
    naver
    cent
    slimjet
    classic
    sushi
    all the goanna ones
    librewolf
    waterfox
    other more crappier ff forks (new and old)
    otter
    falkon
    etcetc to name the more obscure ones

closest to daily driver overall is probably vivaldi of the bigger ones and slimjet/cent otherwise, all chromium based

ff and all of its forks old or new are a) slower and b) lack or broken proper cookie management/whitelisting/keeping data per site

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Firefox Focus?

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Had Opera devs lost their shame???

upload_2024-2-7_19-53-9.png

Launch chromiuim-based browser with command line parameter "--show-component-extension-options" and then go to extensions tab (like "opera://extensions") - and see what else devs hide from users...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I don't think they had any to begin with. They bought Opera from the previous dev for a reason:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/opera-sold-600-million-chinese-consortium/

Why on earth would you willingly install that on your machine? Well, only because you heard of Opera before. It had a good reputation. That's why they bought it. A reputable browser so that people who have no idea what happened will still install it.

386SX and mbk1969 like this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I somehow missed that moment...

Not "heard of Opera", I used Opera almost since its start. Now I will try other browsers.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And Vivaldi it is. I am quite impressed how better it works (comparing to Opera) on my potato PC at work.

Arinoki likes this.