FireFox 4 Official Released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by sava700, Mar 21, 2011.

1. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    it's not final, it's rc2 everywhere...it just do not shows it...unless firefox has decided to promote rc2 as final...even so, latest google chrome beta 11.0.696.14, is the fastest from all browsers...bye bye mozilla...game is over, even ie9 is faster... :)

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Downloaded it on my home PC last night, at work now using IE 8 is appauling in comparison. Can't beat FF for AdBlock and a few other wanderous addons, and this new one is SO FAST, if a slight RAMwhore, not that it really matters nowadays.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    RC2 is final.

I like the UI but it feels somewhat sluggish compared to IE9.

4. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I'm really liking the new design!. Much better use of the screen space.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    do all addons still work (even if that means overriding with nightly tools) ?

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Guess I'm going to have to stop using FF as it becomes very slow after a while.
    This has been true since about 3.6 or so...

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Said my Foxdie themes were not compatible, so im sticking with 3.6 :(

Btw, Mozilla site updated, its out officially now.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    damn i cant get these fonts right, even with this AA font tool..

i hate FF:3eyes:

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    thanks!
    looks like ill be doing a backup of FF when i get home. my custom firefox is years of work getting it like that. dont want to ruin everything within a few secs hehe

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just remembered, can't you disable the compatability check in the About:config, so you can use your old themes etc... still ?

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried nightly tester tools rich_guy ? it works for all of my addons , dont know how this works for themes though.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    not all but most of them..

14. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I have blurry font issues with IE9 but FF4 is perfect. All addons working here and it seems fairly quick at the moment.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No never tried that, think ill have to though, as the compatabilty check extension command has been removed from ff 3.6, so can't disable it lol.

EDIT: Add-on Compatibility Reporter might do the trick as well, got my foxdie theme all set up how i like, so like you, don't want to lose it :p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just updated to FF4 and tried the Nightly Tester Tools, doesn't work for Themes, so im now stuck on FF4, and i havn't a clue where anything is as its all changed, theres no stop loading etc... buttons, nowt. arghh, will have to try that repoter tool. :(

EDIT: Damn it, me themes don't work, forced them on, and its well buggerd up, back to 3.6 (hope ive still got it somewhere) :( :D

EDIT2: Thank god for that, still had 3.6.10, so popped that back on, and updated it to 3.6.15 (one before 4), and now back to how i was :D

Will wait for him to update his Foxdie themes. :p

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    did a browser roundup, installed the official FF 4.0, i had Opera 11 installed (my main browser), installed IE9 and the latest Chrome and tested.

then i uninstalled FF 4.0 and installed Firefox 2.0.

conclusion, along with Chrome, FF 2.0 (the good old one) was the fastest, i mean in FF 2.0 when you type an address and hit enter the browser instantly acts on the command and the wait between contacting, waiting for reply and page loading is far far shorter the the newer Firefoxes who felt like zombies compared to FF 2.0, also a couple of pages kinda hanged every now and then, not once with FF 2.0.

Opera 11 was faster than FF 4.0 in all cases, by faster i mean page loading and smoothness.

all the tests were done with a fresh profile, no add ons and with the cache cleared and actual browsing, no synthetic crap. ;)

naturally FF 2.0 is not recommended do to outdateness, memory and security holes, but it really showed that Mozilla somehow screwed up big time ever since the release of FF 3.0 and even today with FF 4.0 which is a good browser really, for all the optimizations they're nowhere near the FF 2.0 speed, which i find quite disappointing.

so back to Opera 11 and Chrome as backup.

i did the roundup even on my laptop and the results were the same, in terms of browsing, ----> Chrome, FF 2.0, IE9, Opera 11, FF 4.0.

18. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    meh im gonna downgrade too, the fonts are Bad... i've been playing with various settings in that Font AA tool for the last 1-2hrs but i gave up, i can't stand this slightly out of focus kinda like overexposed contrast thing..

Be it default or tweaked it looks like crap anyway you look at it.. I found IE9 much better than this..

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have no problem with my fonts what are you people talking about? I mean yea when I tried FF beta there was font problems, but the RC and Final builds fixed it for me.