Firefox 3.5 CPU usage

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by TheBoss84, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    I just tested Firefox and i t does seem to be much snapier and faster than IE8, but what i did notice was ridiculously high Cpu usage. It was around 22% to 25% which is incredibly high in my opinion.

Are you getting the same experience. Which is in your opinion the best browser all around?

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's probably Adblock Plus if you have that installed, as that uses quite a bit of horsepower to run. Stock firefox uses 3% of my CPU.

3. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Running FF 3.5.6 no issue like you are describing. CPU usage rarely goes above 1%

4. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I use adblock plus and it never goes over 8%

5. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    Well yeah, thanks for the feedback. Apparently it is a facebook app that drives my CPU crazy with firefox its running pretty normal right now. Ill try uninstalling adblocker though. Thanks for the suggestion.:)

6. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Facebook used to be superlight on the CPU. Ever since they exploded and added the newsfeed it got heavy on the CPU. I believe its all the scripts and ajax they're running. I have an old 1Ghz PIII I use to tune my car on and periodically I'll pull up a webpage or two. Facebook will peg the CPU to 100% immediately.

7. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896

right...... :3eyes:

op, nab flashblock, and prune your adblock profile back to the eastlist subscription.

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Facebook chat is the cpu intensive portion, it constantly eats around 4-15%.

9. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Yeah that's ridiculous. Its a simple social media networking website. Its an internet page for crying out loud. NO reason their code should be that bloated. It's more CPU intensive than some games. :3eyes:

10. ScorpionHD

ScorpionHD Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870
    Thats why I use Opera 10!

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    By "hard to run" I mean that it uses quite a bit more memory than stock firefox. It's not like I have issues running it lol

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Switched to Chrome and I couldn't be happier... it's so snappy fast and responsive on all sites, not only on Facebook.
    I hope the Adblock, Flashblock and DownThemAll plugins will be ported over to Chrome soon, so I can get rid of Firefox altogether.
    Opera seems to lag in Facebook as well, slow and sluggish.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    On my work PC, Firefox 3.5 is a resource and CPU hog but then this machine only has a single-core CPU. On my home machine with a quad-core i7 and 6 GB of memory even Firefox has trouble bringing that combo to its knees!!! :D

Although I use Firefox 3.5 more out of habit, Safari 4.0 is a very nice browser IMO with very fast page loading times... almost as fast as Chrome but without its annoying right-hand side menus and clumsy download manager. Opera 10 is also great and fast but I find that, like Internet Explorer 8, it doesn't always show web pages correctly on my system.