Finished messing around with Ryzen 2600+

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by gerardfraser, Jun 7, 2018.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Just realized it is my first personal AMD CPU build in 12+ years,now I can not wait for the parts to arrive.

Edit:
    After trying all kinds of overclocking my best results in gaming on the AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 6-Core was to under-volt CPU core voltage 1.300 mV in Bios and everything else on auto.
    To my surprise CPU is holding XFR/Core Boost 4250 Mhz in synthetic benchmark and gaming benchmark,and dropped 100Mhz to 4150 on encoding stressing the CPU 100%.

EDIT: Did an overclock on the system,clocked CPU to 4400Mhz did a firestrike

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    dean469, OnnA, Maddness and 2 others like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    Nice, enjoy!

I switched from Intel i5 4690K to Ryzen 5 1600 last year and been very happy with it.

Had no trouble getting the system running even with early issues with RAM compatibility so you should have a smooth ride.

Everything is faster / smoother vs. old build. Kept the same GPU (980 Ti).
    So no performance regression in gaming for me, even if i5 was clocked quite high @4.5 GHz.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks AsiJu.
    I do not really expect any trouble,tossed together hundreds of builds for people.It is great to read that you had no problems,man the last time I built AMD for myself was AMD F59/FX60 which were 1000+ Canadian each for CPU back in 2005/06.
    Anyway the gaming part with no regression is all I needed to read to be 100% in.Think I am going to slap in a couple 1080Ti cards and see how it goes.

I will enjoy this build and I been reading some threads and a couple things struck me as hmmm that's happened to me ,such as my Intel system would pause hiccup sometimes for no reason and than quick as it started it goes back to normal.Blah Blah Blah
    Thanks for the reply.

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
    It's probably around 14 years for me. Last time I owned an AMD chip was the Athlon XP-M 2600. Interestingly my new chip is also 2600.
    I remember there was some kind of trick with a copper wire I did in the socket. I don't remember the details but that's why I bought a mobile chip.

AsiJu likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    My previous AMD PC was Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton). Replaced by the mighty Core 2 Duo -> Intel until Ryzen.

To be perfectly honest, with 1080 Ti you might see a bit of regression @1080p versus Intel top CPUs.
    However I think for SLI the multicore Ryzen is a good match and besides @1440p+ there's really no difference vs. Intel anymore (GPU limit).

Also w/ SLI multi GPU scaling is already a way bigger factor than CPU IPC I think.

Purely from price-performance standpoint Ryzen and Ryzen+ are hard to beat nonetheless.

Tell us how it goes and what sort of clocks you can get :)

6. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    That is quite the coincidence 2600 AMD everywhere.:)

Yes 1080Ti at 1080p there will be a couple FPS difference in some games,but what can you do really.
    I been running 3770K @ 4500Mhz since 2012 in my main computer and never felt the need to get another CPU because there is no real big difference in gaming at higher resolutions as you stated.

As far as clocks go I except same old same old as everyone else 4300 Mhz with some voltage but then back to stock because there is no real difference.
    Computers have gotten so stale over the last few years where overclocking is not fun anymore.
    Once upon a time lol ,I could spend a week overclocking CPU/GPU but everything seems to be maxed out now like with GPU Boost 3 boring,AMD sending out max clocks etc.
    Still going to enjoy the build and may switch all computers in house to AMD as you say the price is very good.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Enjoy your new computer, it will serve you well.
    No need to upgrade here, but you just never know what a guru can decide and insta-buy a nice AMD rig.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    The oc'ing where Ryzen is concerned has to do mainly with RAM timings. Getting them as tight as possible is where the cpu really starts to shine. But as with all things, past a certain point there is no benefit. There is just hey, was able to do it; then go back to little more relaxed timings.

9. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Oh I have no need to upgrade also,I can enjoy gaming on any of my PC's but the ebay 20% off whatever you buy was to good to pass up,so basically got a free mother with discount.

Yes I know what you mean .Thanks for the timings tip.

10. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well set it up today,4.99 Canda shipping and got it in 2 days.That was weird and nice surprise.

Did not get AM4 Bracket for CPU yet so setup with AMD cooler which works fine.

Well one quirk, black screen before completing fresh windows install.

OK that is weird,grabs another SSD with Windows 10 on it,get to desktop and no desktop or control on desktop.

F me grabs another SSD with windows 10,black screen on desktop.Scratch my head,curse for and hour,rip out DVI Dual cable did not work with AMD system 100% but fine on Nvidia system,put in display port cable.
    Well Fme again all is good again.By this time I destroyed my original raid 0 with the install I wanted,so broke up raid zero and started windows install again.

Goes to activate my legal copy tied to my account of windows 10 ,nope will not activate. Fme I call Microsoft later.

So with AMD cooler went straight to 1.4 CPU core voltage,A XMP for 3200 on RAM,43 multi for 4300 all cores,Highest core temp was 74c.
    Did some testing,games run around the same as 3770k @ 4500Mhz. Faster in everything else(encoding ETC)

AsiJu likes this.

11. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Did an overclock on the system,clocked CPU to 4400Mhz did a firestrike

[​IMG]

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    Holy hell, 4.4 GHz! Neat! And with stock cooler.

Imagine running Ryzen at 5 GHz... yikes!

13. Kool64

Kool64 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    What was the out of the box all core XFR that you had if you happend to look before OC? Thinking about getting one to replace my low bin 1600X. I'm kinda done with Oc'ing and if I can get one at 4.1-4.2 with no changes that would be my happy spot.

14. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Love to see 5Ghz Ryzen

Amd did these CPU's right and killed off overclocking altogether,I have tested all kinds of overclocks over the last couple days and out of the box with CPU fan turned up in the BIOS gave the best results overall compared with the overclocking.I will suggest these Ryzen 2 CPU's to my buddies.Kool64 not sure if upgrade from 1600x will be worth it ,but that is for you too judge.

Recorded heaven benchmark and encode the heaven benchmark for CPU clock and temperatures while running to see how core boost/XFR or whatever it is called.
    Anyway made a video with new CPU cooler installed today with BIOS settings to default and fan curve set 50%@70c.

I can say the Wraith Spire CPU cooler that comes with the CPU is also good.No real need to replace it with anything.

15. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Just jumped back to amd after ditching them for a 6700k build back in 2015, now got the 2700x and crosshair vii hero board, more than happy with it and the extra cores come in handy as I do a lot of video encoding as well as gaming.

16. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am also going to buy some more AMD systems or build some computers with AMD for the house.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fury X +AW@240Hz
    With new BIOS I do 4.2GHz @1.4V, but I dialed back a bit because 4.15GHz is perfectly stable at 1.3V. That's last very power efficient point for me.

But those 4.4GHz, I have seen 4.5GHz 2700X. And from what guy wrote, he could not get stable 4.3GHz via multiplier, but easily got 4.5GHz via FSB manipulation.
    That's F*ing important bit of info. Something AMD should have looked into. Because it means CPU Cores themselves do not need crazy voltage for stability and can go higher than we run them.
    It's multiplier cascade which fails to operate without increased voltage.

AsiJu and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    So what does that mean for overclocking? That it's wiser to first hit the FSB with the stock multi or the usual way, setting voltage and the multi, and then just adding single MHz to the FSB?

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fury X +AW@240Hz
    That really depends on situation. If board can increase FSB by few MHz w/o issues, I would take FSB to max stable, and then multiplier.
    Because Multiplier OC requires ~1.4V for 4.2GHz and ~1.5V for 4.3GHz. getting 103MHz FSB will give you 4.325GHz around 1.4V. Basically saving energy, reducing heat.

I have paper records from my testing in front of me. As I was testing minimal voltages in 25MHz steps for clocks between 4.1 & 4.2GHz.
    At 4.1GHz: 1.25V => 125.3W in CB-R15; 1.4V => 166W in CB-R15. That's 32.5% increased Power Draw for 12% increased Voltage without increasing CPU clock by single MHz.

I think that if Zen had FSB like 125/133MHz, it could benefit greatly in terms of achievable clock and Power Efficiency.

For comparison of that increased voltage vs. Power: 4.2GHz at same 1.4V as above => 169.9W. (2.44% higher clock; 2.35% increased Power Draw. That means Power draw is overshot from voltage on other than those 4.2GHz parts of CPU core. Energy is passively wasted somewhere.)

I know this from LED. Once you pass certain good operational voltage, current goes up exponentially and LED burns if it is not cooled.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.