Finally fixed my Ryzen temps + voltage.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Smokey25, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Since aslong as i own my Ryzen 2600x,thats about a year now. I was trying to get my voltage to run lower as stock voltage. Normally no matter what i tried,it would not boot if i manually set the voltage. Today i enabled XMP on my memory and enabled Precision Boost Overdrive + Game boost in my bios and my system has never ran better with a lower voltage and lower temps and it seems to have removed random fps drops ive had in games aswell,like Final fantasy xv has improved massively.

My Vcore went from a Very inconsistent 1.42 - 1.48 which i thought was way too high for my taste to a stable 1.312 volt and my max temps have dropped about 12c. My idle temps also went from 42c to 30c,on air - stock cpu cooler. WIth all power saving disabled. Just felt like sharing,it made me so happy .:)

Is someone able to explain why with Precision boost + Core boost my temps are so low and stable currently ? Without these 2 options my voltage is Allover the place and i notice this in games.

https://imgur.com/a/RInR7Eg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    386SX and BuildeR2 like this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    The difference in voltage may cause this, I guess.
    I don't know 2nd gen exactly, but "limit" on vcore with 1st gen is about 1.4v. More is always possible, but not recommended for a 24/7 oc.
    And it could be PBO and overdrive take care of both vcore and boost and therefore optimizing both to get the max out of your setup.
    But these are guesses, I don't know exactly ...

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    up to 1.5v is normal for ryzen.

4. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Can't really find much online as to why they lower my Vcore so much and making them so much more stable. Would these options also be auto managing LLC by any chance ?

@Astyanax I know it's possible and "safe" but i wasnt comfortable with these voltages meself seeing them jump allover the place while my pc was idle and having pretty high temps because of it especilly when gaming. My temps are amazing currently with the same or better performance.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Good job after a year of messing around .If I was you,I would turn game boost off and let the CPU do it's thing.Better yet take the CPU voltage you have now ,set everything in the BIOS to default and then set CPU voltage you have now and then try again.See what you get.

Video I did on 2600X jun 2018 ,of course test games and make sure you have same ,better performance not that there would be much difference between 4000Mhz -4250Mhz

AMD RYZEN 5 2600X CPU 1.300 mV XFR/Boost 4250 Mhz so try your 1.312v

6. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Thanks ! But that's the thing,i tried about everything in this year time to manually set my voltage and clock speed,even trying to mess with LCC thinking that might be the cause but it would usually not do much good either. If i disable these 2 settings now and set my Vcore at 1.312 it will just not boot up,it doesnt even like me setting the Vcore to 1.4. It might be because of my mobo but im not sure,im on the MSI Tomahawk b450, latest bios version. Btw im pretty satisfied with this though, im so happy with my idle/stress temps i dont feel the need atm to manually adjust anything related to my core or Vcore.

Why do you suggest disabling Core boost btw ?

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I guess you missed my point altogether or you just do not understand .I have a MSI motherboard in the video posted.Anyway enjoy,the 2600X is a great CPU.
    I have no clue where you got disable core boost,but not a good idea.

8. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Whats there not to understand ? I think its you missing the point. I already tried tinkering with every setting with no succes. Also you said ",I would turn game boost off". Hence i asked Why you would suggest that. Game boost for me is labeled as Core boost. The setting that gives me a good voltage and core boost,the entire reason i created this post..So no,i wont disable that cus that just wouldnt make any sense.

Also stating you have "a MSI board" doesnt add much,maybe add the model you have.. The entire reason of the post was to let people know that Those 2 settings with all the powersaving features disabled will bring your Vcore to an acceptable value while remaining the auto oc and severely bringing down your temps. Theres no need to manual oc unless you wanna tryhard and push out those 200 extra mhz that wont make a huge difference anyway.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  9. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Sometimes certain motherboards do not follow manufacturer spec very well when using out-of-box settings, consider using the latest BIOS if you're not already. Back up your existing BIOS first just in-case you have any issue with the new one. Know there's always a small risk when updating the BIOS, but as long as your power is good and doesn't go out, you should be okay. If you aren't familiar with the process, or are worried and have an out-of-warranty board, then just live with the current BIOS VS getting in over your head.
    The fact that you turned on PBO and it actually DECREASED temps (normally it'd be up a few degrees, up to 8~12C increase with PBO on), leads me to believe it could just be a buggy BIOS at fault, or possibly less-than-perfect default settings. Not that it'll fry your chip, but that the increased temps caused thermal throttling to kick in, slowing the processor down for short amounts of time, causing random frame drops due to the fast-slow-fast nature of the resultant CPU speed.
    Just find whatever settings make the PC *AND* you happy, and love it.

The cooler you keep the processor, the longer and higher it will boost for. I have a 3700x / stock cooler / stock clocks and voltage / XMP memory / release-day (!) BIOS on an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 - the cheapest x570 board I could get my hands on 2~3 weeks after the July CPU / chipset release. Only difference is I scraped off the factory-included layer of thermal icing and put my own liquid metal on (after pulling the CPU back off to check and repeatedly cleaning the surplus liquid metal off the BOARD and off the CPU SOCKET!!!). No, really, it only took a quarter grain of rice worth, due to the fact I was used to not-so-flat intel chips and huge 100$ air coolers - AMD makes a flatter cpu. It stays around 4.3x ghz under moderate loads and when I am really going all-out it's down to 4.20 ghz ~ 4.175 ghz because of heat. So that's pretty decent if your 2xxx chip stays at 4.0~4.25ghz or so, consistently, without overheating. I will crack 80c if I don't clean it for 2+ months and I am running it to the hill for hours, dropping to the 4.175 mark then.
    There's a bunch of thresholds in Ryzen, as it warms up, it drops voltage/clock speed a little bit. Ryzen 3xxx will even drop IPC (instructions per clock) if it gets too hot and clocking down a bit hasn't worked, which won't show up on clock speed reports, to help cool things off when in dire straits.

On Ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx there isn't a lot of point in overclocking manually, and the chips for the AM4 socket are binned pretty tight, meaning you won't get a lot from changing voltages and clocks, apart from under-clocking AND under-volting simultaneously (like for a media center PC).
    They can't really make enough of these high-end Ryzen processors fast enough to have surplus of high-end stock, to then end-up deliberately down-marketing stuff by taking high-end parts and re-badging them as otherwise out-of-stock lower end parts to fill market needs like a decade ago (D-stepping core i7 920's, Pentium dual-core Wolfdale E5200, etc).

If your PC is happy with the settings with PBO on, leave it on. I'd say the issue is nicked, but otherwise, write down your settings or take pictures of the appropriate bios screens with your phone, and update the BIOS.
    If you are going to update the BIOS, please do so by downloading the appropriate new BIOS file, making sure it's named right, putting it on a USB stick, and doing the BIOS upgrade from within the BIOS if at all possible. Make sure to clear CMOS (reset all settings in BIOS to load factory defaults) after doing so. DO NOT update the BIOS from within Windows unless you like living life dangerously.

--Good luck!

Off-topic
    Why does this tech site tell me I've misspelled words like CMOS, Ryzen, ASRock, PBO, XMP, etc?

10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire

Well I understand mow why it took a year to dial in.Sorry to trouble you. I did not know they changed the BIOS on MSI Tomahawk b450. That would confuse to hell out of me also,having game boost labeled core boost on old and new BIOS.Crap I am just an idiot ,sorry again. I will never bother you again.BTW Thanks for sharing your findings.
    P.S Learn what game boost is and does to CPU Clock and Voltages.

bobblunderton is a wise voice with lots of knowledge, I suggest do not update your motherboard though with the newest BIOS on the 2600X
    [​IMG]Desktop Screenshot 2020.01.26 - 23.01.04.38 by gerard fraser, on Flickr

[​IMG]45 by gerard fraser, on Flickr

bobblunderton likes this.

11. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Sorry about the confusion at first @gerardfraser,i love every type of input but the thing is i literally tried about everything trying get a manual oc to work,also messing with LCC with no succes besides running at a really high Vcore and higher than normal temps from which i felt was not worth the barely noticable increase in performance, if any. After some bios upgrade a while back,i think it happend before the latest one my Bios turned from the screen you show there to a grey look with no colours,ive looked around and supposedly its normal. And settings were also dfiferently labeled. I am on the latest bios version atm though version 7C02v1. I think i need to roll 2 or 3 firmwares back to get that look again.

Unless there are some performance issues going on with that version that im not aware off i rather not go down a version.

@Blobblunderton Thanks for your input. The thing is that i tried to keep messing and lowering my Vcore and playing with LLC because i had throttling issues going on in games where after a while of gaming it dropped performance. Seeing my Vcore constantly at 1.48 1.5 while gaming made me irk. It was incredibly inconsistent even on idle it just seemed "off". So far on this board this is the only way i am able to get my temps to run like this and my vcore be as low. No matter what i try this board does not like manual messing with vcores and clock speeds. I tried this on different bios versions btw since ive owned the board. Im on a stock amd cpu cooler but i did adjust the fan curves to run at higher speeds.

Also what you said here "The fact that you turned on PBO and it actually DECREASED temps (normally it'd be up a few degrees, up to 8~12C increase with PBO on), leads me to believe it could just be a buggy BIOS at fault, or possibly less-than-perfect default settings." This is exactly whats making me wonder,i just dont understand why my temps and vcore are the way they are because from what i understand when enabling these options,it should be the opposite right ?

Also what you said here was happening to me and having an impact on my performance
    "There's a bunch of thresholds in Ryzen, as it warms up, it drops voltage/clock speed a little bit""

This is currently not happening at all anymore,it's incredibly stable,core and vcore wise no matter what i do. Im jst still having a hard time understanding why.

using any manual settings that the auto stuff is doing currently will make me unable to boot. It seems to control more than just vcore etc,im not sure if its also managing LLC,but im having a feel it does. Im kind of scared to try messing with anything atm because im pretty sure it will end up with me having to remove the battery and use a jumper.

12. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    the thing is if you dont have the a 3000 ryzen you shouldnt have used the latest bios as i saw a lot of posts of people having problems with 2000 series on 3000 series bioses

13. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Really ? What kind of problems ? And why would MSI upload the version to download for 2600x aswell ?

Mind you im unable to get a manual oc stable since i owned this board,last year march.

14. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    i remember on reddit i think there was a big thread about this saying the latest bioses bring nothing new about 2000 series being only for 3000 and if anyone has a 1000 series or 2000 series should stay with the latest bios before any 3000 bios.
    i would say to go back to v15 or v14 for 2000 series and test that. if you can downgrade of course.

15. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Do you know what kind of problems people had with that bios on ryzens below 3xxx ?

Disabled "Gameboost" and my Vcore jumped to over 1.4 to 1.5 again.

16. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Honestly i dont remember exactly the problems but i know a lot of people suggested not to update to 3000 bioses if they still use 1000/2000 series

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    That's due to BIOS bugs. Normally I wouldn't say update, but if you have bugs, look in the change log in BIOS updates to see if they fixed that on 2xxx series processor. Likely when you put game boost on, the buggy routine with voltage off-sets isn't in play, working around the issue. No harm in leaving it the way it is, if it works okay this way and you are happy. At which point you can say 'the heck with it, it's fine'.
    Sure, there CAN be problems when updating, and a majority of work will be for the NEWER processors, but the problems vary by board and manufacturer. People can say not to update, but when you HAVE A PROBLEM, you should at-least give it a shot if the problem bugs you and the change-log says 'hey we fixed this problem that's bugging you'. SURE it's always possibly that you could be robbing Peter to pay Paul and end up with some other problem, but you can always back up the original BIOS you are replacing, to restore it later if things don't work out.

In the end, if you have a problem with your hardware, either you can replace the hardware (throw money at the problem by replacing the board), you can try to fix it free (by updating the BIOS, or posting your problem direct to the manufacturer's forums, or contacting support there), or you can just throw up arms and say 'well, I think I can live with it, it's working OK or tolerable now, or it's not broken enough to warrant throwing money at it'.
    "You shouldn't update the BIOS because there's 'a lot of people' having problems with 2000 or 1000 series processors in newer BIOS revisions."
    Keep in mind that this is due to the fact that the 10,000's of people who manually updated their BIOS to the newer version where it works better or otherwise did NOT break things or make a big mess, do not write in. People are always much more likely to write complaints, but praise and saying it's all OK is rare at best. So do not be jaded because you saw 10 different posts over the course of 6 months on one forum, available to the whole world to use, saying "I broked my computer, and now it won't computer anymore!" ...
    Now is the part where I remind folks that forums are often used for problem solving, so of course, if there's a case where there's a problem, you're likely to find it right next to threads like this one here. You know what you won't find? The 100x or more as many folks who did the same things and did NOT have a problem.
    You will never get anywhere unless you try! Of course also, as you said, keeping game boost on DOES remedy the problem, or work around / prevent it from being an issue. So in all honesty, you can just leave it as it sits, if it's not going for broke and trying to make FIRE anymore :)
    If you're OK with things as they sit, I can't blame you, in-fact I am running release day BIOS on the cheapest X570 board that could be purchased off the retail shelf 2~3 weeks after 3xxx series launch this summer. Why? I don't have any issues with this, the thing doesn't bug out, it doesn't have boosting issues. However, if there was a problem, long before I'd post, I'd go on and make sure I had the latest firmware for all applicable / related hardware applied, latest drivers and so-forth.

Best part is, in the end, it's your stuff, your time, your money, YOU get to decide what to do.

YOU ARE WINNAR!
    I can't make the call here, so I leave the ball in your court on this one. Best of luck with it though, and enjoy being part of the 'PC Master Race' thingy, just make sure that time is enjoyed. It's not all supposed to be misery, it's supposed to be chock full of awesome!
    So anyways, again, enjoy your PC bud; and keep us posted if you finally resolve your issue or just learn to live with it.

18. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Thanks all of that dude ! So far since my changes all my games are running fine,some even run much better as before. Like ive had terrible fps drops in Yakuza kiwami 2 aswell where at first i just thought it was the games issue but that has been resolved and its much more enjoyable to play. I havent had a single crash yet either and my clock speeds seem to work fine,boosting to 4.050 or so in games. I do know before these 2 changes my cpu boosted to around 4.2 or so. But seeing how much better my system currently performs i dont think i need those 150 extra mhz.

So im not sure if its worth going down bios versions to try out different settings again,pretty satisfied with this currently !