Finally bought a SSD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TonyR, Apr 18, 2012.

1. TonyR

TonyR Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON HD 6850 1GB
    OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD

Question is , do i just install the drive as a stand alone drive for my games , or! Do i install win7 64 bit on it?

[​IMG]

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Good move on the SSD, you're really going to enjoy using it :)

To make effective use of the SSD you really need to install your OS on it, this along with the usual programmes should use up around 15GB leaving you plenty of space for a few games where you'll see some benefit from faster loading times. On my system installing Skyrim on my SSD showed a drastic improvement due to the amount of loading the game has to do. Before I had to wait between 10 and 20 seconds when going from one area to another with a heavily modded game, now it takes less than 5 seconds. I also saw a massive improvement when exploring outside in forested areas as before I would get a regular loading stutter but now it's become very rare.

3. TonyR

TonyR Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON HD 6850 1GB
    hehe nice :D , what sort of things do you think it would improve on cod 4? I heard it might stabilize fps as well :S Was just a rumour i heard though.

4. ewitte

ewitte New Member

GPU:
    PNY 6800GT @ 400/1.1
    Even with a 256GB drive I still have most games on a normal drive. It should not make much of a difference besides loading.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    it will make a difference with games that stream the content. (like BZ mentioned skyrim) i think cod4 will load the entire map at the start so it wont make a difference in terms of stability of FPS. it will load the map faster.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    As pointed out by Whitelightning games like cod4 don't do a lot of loading so it will make little difference other than when the level first loads up but will be more beneficial for games that need to continuously load or stream data from the storage. In the case of the latter it could help stabilise fps as there will be less frame drops when loading.

7. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Nice man, I just got mine too. Install Win7 on there and enjoy, you will be left with a bit of space to stick a couple of games on it that will benefit the most from the increased speed :)

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I've bought one of these a few weeks ago but haven't gotten round to trying it yet. Let us know how you get on :)

9. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

No effect on the FPS,but the loading times will drastically improve!

10. TonyR

TonyR Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON HD 6850 1GB
    I gathered loading times would improve which is really hand if i want to sniper. 3 per team first come first serve.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @TonyR - It's pointless IMO using an SSD for installing games onto as the improvement in loading times would only be slight. I can't think of a single game of the 50+ I have installed on my Samsung F3 Spinpoint that has long loading times. I personally feel that SSDs are more ideally suited to running operating systems - faster boot up times, better multi-tasking and a more responsive Windows not just during regular use but also because it is usable the instant the desktop appears.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There are very few games that actually see a big improvement when installed on an SSD, ArmA II and Shogun 2 are the only two that come to mind.

13. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    WoW is unplayable without one imo.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    To be honest... The difference in gaming is next to nothing compared to my RAID0 array. Just moved my SW:TOR install to my RAID0 array for that reason. But for Windows, Office and the likes it's really nice. Sequential reads are faster on my RAID0 array and read speeds aren't that far away. For games reading large files is important.

15. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Unless you have a huge SSD (200gb+ in size), I wouldn't waste the space on installing offline games on it.

However when it comes to online games, such as Battlefield 3 (or MMOs)... it is like Day and Night to me.

if you're like me and constantly change servers/maps, especially when i'm playing with friends, it is totally worth the space :)

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Why dont you raid 0 the agility 3? i got two in Raid 0, Sequential reads are 1100-1200MB/s.. Badass imo

17. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Yes, games that dynamically load content have the most to gain. Skyrim is completely different on the SSD compared to my WD Black. Shops and such load instantly, loading between buildings and cities and such is very quick. I never get the texture loading lag that I had prior. But for games that load everything into RAM? Not much reason really aside from faster loading times between map changes.

18. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I use a 120GB Samsung 830 as my OS/App drive. Then I have a WD blue drive for games that is accelerated with by a 60GB Vertex 2 using Intel's SRT caching.

Even when I installed games directly on the SSD I felt like the performance improvements were much less noticeable than the performance increase just from putting the OS on the SSD.

19. TonyR

TonyR Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON HD 6850 1GB
    Windows 7 64bit installed = 10 Minutes
    1GB file = 25 seconds? :S Not sure if thats good
    Windows 7 rating = 7.6 from 5.9
    Boot time = 10 seconds
    SSD Install time = 5 minutes

Fantastic Drive so far.

And the sticker that came with the drive states:

My SSD is faster than your HDD >.<

Thought that was priceless.

20. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti
    lol yeah those stickers are definatly pretty cool, i wasnt expecting to see any stickers for ssd purchases :)

in all honesty since buying 2 x 120gb Agility 3's [no raid, as i need one full drive for linux and android development] i have not looked back once, even when i am having to run both under backward compatibility using SATA II ports [my current 'stepping stone' M/Board supports full USB 3.0 but has no SATA III ports lol] so my speeds definatly are not maxing out the drive's capabilities just yet lol, but i am very happy with the SATA II saturation from these drives :)

cant wait for my Asus Sabertooth / Asus Crosshair V Formula to finally put my 2 agility's to the test :)

anyways, enough of my little rant lol, i think you will be pleasantly pleased with the upgrade from plattered HDD to SSD
    like 'Virtue' and a few others have stated, high texture streaming games like bf3 will notice the difference, i noticed it quite a bit when i moved from HDD's to SSD's [win 7 x64 and games on one SSD]

glad you took the plunge mate, i cannot fauly the agility 3's :)

enjoy my friend,

take care buddy :)