Finally bit the bullet on 6950 2gb

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by cloudman, Apr 18, 2011.

1. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    Well I tried to hold off till I bullt my new system, but newegg had the HIS 6950 2gb version for $234.00 after rebate. I needed to go with one card so I could free up a slot ( good excuse lol ) and the 6950 looks to be the best bang for buck from ATI. Hopefully I will not be disappointed.

Soon, I will have 2 Diamond 5770's for sale at a reasonable price...never oc'd and only about a year old... :)

I forgot to ask what would be a good price to sell my 5770's? I installed a zalman cooler on one of the cards.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. mikami

mikami Active Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 780 ti
    bought the same exact card but from amazon. Unlocked and oced with saphire trixx. I'm at 880/1375 and I can't believe I'm stable without raising voltages. Anyways can you let me know if you get this tiny little pitch when you play certain games? It loudest when you run furmark for me. i'm hoping its normal nowhere as bad as my gtx 285 but I'm too picky I guess

3. MrBox

MrBox Guest

I love these cards. Currently have 2 and looking to grab a third on my new guerrilla assassin build :D

I want trifire to really make my eyefinity shine. You have to love the price too...

4. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i almost grabbed another but for silence i cant fit another shaman on one so im sticking with one :( but if it wasn't for that id easily grab 2-3

5. MrBox

MrBox Guest

I can confirm the whine noise when running furmark/kombustor. It is normal. I wouldn't recommend using furmark/kombustor though and many tech pros say the same. They can cause damage to your card as they are far more extreme than any real-world gaming performance situation. The whining noise is from the increased power flowing from what I've read. I've got both mine OC'd at 980Mhz core, and I run OCCT gpu scanning every week for several hours to make sure there are no problems with the cards.

I killed one 6950, but it was because I pushed the voltage way too high on it. It was definitely not a manufacturing problem, I just wanted to push one of them to the absolute limits. I got it well over 1050Mhz core on stock reference cooler btw. Amazing cards, and they can be pushed much farther than most people think. Both of mine can hit 980Mhz on < 1175 mV. So awesome!

Just to reiterate; the whining sound is normal. Just do not run the furmark or kombustor style burn in tests. They are BAD for your card. Do an OCCT gpu scan for at least an hour and make sure you have no errors with your OC's.

Have fun!

6. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    =UPDATE=
    Not a bad upgrade from my 5770's crossfire setup to single card. More options with crisper picture and smoother game play. I really only play BC2 and the new eagle dynamics A-10 warthog sim, but they both run excellent on higher settings. Very happy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011