Finally Asus or MSI

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Rikus, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    What he say!

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No Brainer.
    Asus.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    /thread

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    ASUS...
    Even low entry segment in Asus overclock quite good (i have recicled a QX6800 on an intel p41 ASUS and was surprised to get a nice 4.0ghz overclock with it... astonishing).

If you go MSI only their High end motherboard are nice.

5. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Asus...

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Am I seeing things or did you actually just trash ASUS while at the same time recommending MSI?

Surely I must need glasses....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  8. honkeykrakker

honkeykrakker Master Guru

GPU:
    Even funnier is the fact that ASRock is Asus' little cheap company.

9. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    I'm recommending ASRock or Gigabyte. MSI is fine. Not as good as the two, but still better than ASUS.

ASUS has been going down in terms of quality over the past couple of years. Failure rates highest of the four for a while now.

No, it's not. Not yet at least. ASUS wants to buy ASRock. ASRock boards are the best while ASUS are the worst. Go figure.

ASRock is currently a Pegatron company. Their quality improved significantly over the last few years making them the best motherboard makers as of today.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'd love to see evidence supporting what you say, however I'm sure I'll never see any.

Besides, on it's own high failure rates mean nothing, ever consider maybe they sell more boards than anyone else?
    Example; Sapphire have a 6% RMA rate at the moment which seems high until you realize they are also AMD's biggest board partner.

I'd also be interested to know how many ASUS boards you've owned or dealt with extensively....cause I'm sure if you had owned any you would not be trashing them right now.

I've gone through many ASUS boards in recent years, starting with Celeron 466.... sure some have died, but they run rock solid when not DOA.

Gigabyte....value for money good features for the price, still aimed at budget conscious buyer. I've had components like IDE ports fail on GA boards.

And MSI?
    There's a reason why hardly anybody on this forum owns an MSI board.
    To claim MSI are better than ASUS...that is a bold move indeed, but most people would just laugh at that profound statement.

If you can't backup what you say, best not to say it in the first place.

Actually ASUS has already had a hand in Asrock, they were sister companies.

Asrock produced the budget mobo's while ASUS concentrated on the high end. Not much has changed in that respect.

Asrock RMA's may have reduced but that doesn't make them the best board maker out there.

This is just more personal opinion which u are trying to pass off as fact, so please stop. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously....?

I had some respect for you at least, but now.....not so much. :3eyes: I can't even be bothered with thread anymore.

11. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    I'd like to see the same from you and anyone else? Everyone just loves ASUS...

My data is provided by one European international (read: ships to many countries) e-tailer. It's not the same as Hardware.fr, but some data looks similar, which could mean that results are actually pretty accurate. So we could say data comes from 2 sources.

6% for a manufacturer with Sapphire sale figures is too damn high. If it was some small company with low sales, that would be fine. Just fine. Let me explain.

Failure rates mean a lot, IF company sells many units. The more units sold, the more accurate data. If a small company sells, say, 500 units and their failure rates are 10%, it doesn't necessarily mean that their products are bad. Could be just a single bad batch with 50 units. If Sapphire, however, sells a million units or so and failure rates are 6% or 60000 units, that already means that Sapphire has issues with quality control.

Speaking of which, Sapphire DOES have issues with QC in HD 7000 series manufacturing (example). In 2013 H1 expect Sapphire to lose 1st place and get to mid-high failure rate place. They might get back some time later after issues are fixed, 2013 H2 or 2014 H2.

Like I said many times, I don't judge company from my own experience, but if you want to know I did have bad experience with all ASUS boards. If it was you, you wouldn't recommend ASUS just because of that. ASUS boards I used in my own PC since 2007 were M2V-MX, M3N-HT Deluxe, P67 Sabertooth, F1A75-M and P8Z77-V LE and all of them had issues.

But that's not a reason for me to bash ASUS. High ASUS failure rates and low ASRock failure rates combined with fast growth are the reasons why ASUS wants to buy ASRock, no doubt about it. ASRock was even given Fata1lty brand...

Gigabyte offers both better quality/features AND value than ASUS. Just because it's cheaper it doesn't mean it's worse... I'm not talking about highest end boards like ROG series, BTW. Anything 50-250$ is ASRock/Gigabyte territory. IDK, maybe ASUS rules in 300-500$ sector. I doubt it, but that's not my business anyways.

Iv'e had 0 issues with several Gigabyte boards, BTW. But that's, once again, is not why Gigabyte is better.

Can you back it up? Give proof that ASUS has lowest failure rates and that will be enough to call ASUS the best. But until that please keep your OPINION to yourself. Or at least say it's your opinion and not a fact. You're the one who's saying FX is better than i5 in games. With 0 proof.

How surpising! You're talking out of your ass once again.

ASRock belongs to Pegatron. It once was OEM, but now became the 3rd largest and the #1 most reliable motherboard manufacturer. This is the reason why ASUS wants to buy ASRock.

ASRock's returns were reduced to bare minimum lately. Lower than any manufacturer. This does make it the most reliable MB manufacturer of all.

ASUS being the best is your (and apparently this forum's) opinion. ASRock and Gigabyte being the best is a fact coming from several large e-tailers. It's not completely accurate, but combined sales are high, so accuracy is a lot higher than your mumbles.

As far as personal opinions go, I don't trust any. I saw a poll in one site, which asked "What SSD manufacturer you trust the most?". OCZ got 26% of votes while Crucial got 8%... Another reason not to trust owners is the way they rate products. It works - 5/5, it doesn't work - 1/5. There are many other things to discuss, but here's not the place to do that.

BTW, got any problems with your Vapor-X? ;)

In conclusion, OP, get any of THESE boards. They are all better than what you have selected.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    To summarize the thread.

OP: I want to buy some apples, whats better Green or Red ones?
    Poster 1: Green apples rule, red ones not so great.
    Poster 2: Red apples rule, green ones, never had one.
    Poster 3: Both red and green suck, get the yellow ones.
    Poster 4: I have tons of data that conclusively backs up my argument that Red apples are absolutely terrible. I use Green ones, they always work for me.
    Poster 5: Uh, nuh-huh I've always had good experiences green ones, I question your methodology!
    Poster 6: Nuh-huh!
    Poster 7: ???
    Poster 8: Profit!
    OP: Uh, yeah, thanks. I bought a pony instead.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    @Xbeast.

For the record I do not think and have never thought or said Vishera was faster than i5 in games. Ever.
    I have only said they perform well in games, so don't tell me I said shlt when I never said it!

Semiaccurate is a joke when it comes to reliable info so you'll need to do better than that.

And regarding Asrock/Asus and me taking out of my ass...well you're just clearly showing your age here.
    Yeah Asrock belongs to Pegatron...no really? :rolleyes: How long did it take for you to Google that info just now? I could have told you that.

Guess who else used to be related to Pegatron? Can you guess? No? Asus, surprise! I've been working in the commercial IT industry for 15 years and didn't need Google to find that out.

Lastly, my Vapor-X hauls ass and why would you ask how it was with a wink?
    Were you hoping the VRM's had melted or something? It runs flawlessly.

If by some chance u are referring to my comment about low 3DMark 11 scores, I mixed up the results for stock and overclocked speeds. So it works as it should.

Now, luckily for me I have to meet somebody, which means I don't have to keep going round in circles with you.
    Goodbye.

14. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070.
  15. bioCor3

bioCor3 Active Member

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    Asus boards generally run for years. MSI a good value for money. I've had plastic bits fall off both Asus and MSI. A lot of hardware is assembled by Foxconn these days anyway. My current Asus board looks better build quality than an old MSI board I have and none of the pins of snapped off like the old MSI board (which kept still working so probably a ground pin), but one of the plastic clips for RAM cracked on the Asus when it snapped shut on the memory module though it still holds it in place.

The Asus has better BIOS options and overclocks relatively easily. Though the latest BIOS update is a bit crap and the version before is much more stable.

I'd make the decision based on the features you want, number of SATA 3.0/6.0GB/s sockets, USB sockets, PCIe lanes etc. and user experiences with boards. Keep in mind some users start complaining their board is broken because they haven't installed all the drivers for their motherboard and of course then some features won't work without those drivers.

16. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Worked many boards on the last 10 years, conclusion? Asus for sure, nothing else to say.

Good luck!

17. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    In the past I would of said Asus, but these days I'll take anything other then Asus.
    Asus product are innovative and usually they have all the right features you could possibly want or should I say on paper they have all the right features listed.
    But for me I've had bad luck with their products over the past 4 ~ 5 years.
    Prior years in the days of Athlon and P4 I would buy nothing but Asus.
    Back in those earlier days I'd never buy anything MSI due to everything I had bought from MSI packed it in early in it's life.
    These days I take MSI over Asus even if MSI's features weren't as good.

The last 5 mobo's I've bought from Asus have been great performers, but they have also had the quirkiest behavior.
    Lights, fans and no post beeps or booting at the slightest misjudged setting.
    That's fine, but when I have to strip the thing apart to get post beeps and bootup as reset cmos just doesn't fix it, f'n quirky.

Now days I'll skip those unique gotta have features that Asus offers no matter how tempting they are.
    I'll take the MSI Mpower board if it was the only choice between 2 evils.
    Nice looking board and it ticks the right boxes for what features I'd want.
    It seems cheap in price, but looks like nice quality.
    But looks can be deceiving if the past is anything to go by.

18. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    This is only from personal experience but I've had a few MSI boards and had problems with them so switched to ASUS, which I've had for my last 2 or 3 boards and they didn't go wrong once. I've now got a Gigabyte and can say that I've not had any problems...so far.

So I'd go with ASUS.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Go for Asus EVGA or Gigabyte if your having trouble deciding.
    EVGA have one of the best forums and customer support on the internet.

20. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    You are probably going to have to jump in and just buy something. Look at the features and decide. I have run a Asrock and a Gigabyte board the last 3 yrs w/o problem. Everyone is going to give you a different opinion.