Final Fantasy XV benchmark

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by -Tj-, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm unsure if this is a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (v1709 Build 16299.214) or both but I've seen this behaviour numerous times now, mostly in Unity Engine games, where the framerate will drop to around 20-24 fps when G-SYNC is enabled, in my case for both Fullscreen and Windowed modes. I have to force the exclusive fullscreen mode in order to fix this issue as I did in, for example, Dungeons 3 and Road Redemption, two Unity games off the top of my head.

Tonight I downloaded and ran the Final Fantasy XV Benchmark, a game that as far as I'm aware doesn't use the Unity engine, and was somewhat shocked to see the 1920x1080 Fullscreen with High settings running at 21-24 fps giving me a Low rating and an overall score of 1,917. I disabled G-SYNC and re-ran the benchmark on the same settings but this time the average framerate was 70-85 fps and the rating was Very High with a score of 9,189!

So clearly G-SYNC is not working with this game and actually destroys the performance. Why is this happening and with Unity Engine games as well? It ruins G-SYNC. When I first started using G-SYNC on Windows 10 v1703 it worked flawlessly but since updating to v1709 it seems more and more games are affected by this 24 fps bug. Surely I'm not the only one who has this issue?

PC specs: i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 GB, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2. My monitor is the 27" ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

P.S. Why doesn't the benchmark support a 2560x1440 resolution, which surely is use by more people than 4K?

2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I don't own G-Sync, so I can only speak suggestively, and even so I'm not sure if it'll be any help. But I'm sure I've read somewhere that people had their G-sync settings reset in Nvidia Control Panel with the recent drivers, and had to enable certain G-sync settings again.

Unlikely as it may be, but could you check Nvidia control panel settings related to it?

EDIT: Quick google aid; you aren't alone with that issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/7tsnxa/driver_39077_faqdiscussion_thread/dtfvnk3/

3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    To the Phenom II Users...
    Don't even try it, it crashes on startup, probably due to the lack of SSE 4.1.
    Cheers

PS: The high settings makes use of the Gameworks stuff, so it's normal that problems are present. XD

4. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    pshh what an anti amd publisher.. honestly bullshit will not play !
    8gig of ram in usage , full 4gb of video ram this game eats away everything !
    not too mention the fps i got LOL !
    screw ffXV !
    i should be able to play 1080p with maxed out everyfuckingthing !

5. heatseeker

heatseeker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 280x
    So... I can't run the benchmark... When I try to run the app I receive "FFXV Benchmark Stop Working"

Anyone know why?

6. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Why am I not surprised. As I said on the first page, this game has basically same demands as Assassin's Creed Origins, and Ubisofts's forums are full of people asking for a "fix" so their Phenoms would work. Truth is, I'm not sure they would, at least not without sacrificing almost everything quality-wise. The industry seems to finally catch up with multicore CPUs and ability to utilize 8+ threads is quite common in recent AAA titles.

This comes at a price however, the older i5s are experiencing a somewhat brutal transition from "just fine" to "why is my CPU always 100% and my GPU not properly utilized?". Even the 4 core i7s stumble in places in AC:O and this game seems to be more of the same, if the bench is something to guide ourselves with. Guess this is probably the beginning of the end for the FX series and especially Phenoms with their older instruction set capabilities.

But hey Nvidia has Geforce Now, so all is great! /s

7. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @heatseeker What CPU do you have?

@toyo Not surprised.
    I don't think the newer instructions set, grants better performance, as seen before the Phenom II is still able to handle certain games that did required SSE 4.1 in the first place and it was patched further.
    Users that already had a SSE 4.1 weren't downgraded or received a penalty for the extra support for the Phenom II.
    The thing is, most newer engines and Physics engine moved on from <SSE 4.1 due to better instructions sets or more easier to implement certain features. So old SSE compatibilities were discarded so far, there is also rumours that the latest versions of denuvo do require SSE 4.1, makes sense, but it's not confirmed yet, and it don't make any sense for this benchmark since this is an open bench to everyone, so I doubt denuvo is active in here :D

I'm pretty sure I would be able to run AC Origins with it, at a console level performance at 30'ish FPSs.
    Altough, The Phenom II is something that exists for 8 years old now or even more, so I can't blame them f4om moving on, and I don't spam forums asking for support.
    Last time I did check on Steam Surveys, only less than 5% of the users didn't supported SSE 4.1, so I can't really blame any dev for not supporting old CPUs.
    Dispite they would be capable of running the game. :)

I will upgrade, probably for 2019 for Ryzen 2 or an intel, so far I have a huge ammount of steam backlog games to get my hands on, and I never buy games at release, so far only 4 games don't support the Phenom II, Little Nightmares, Dead Rising 4 (meh), AC Origins and now this one.
    More will come, I'm sure of it. :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  8. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Standard Settings:
    • NvidiaFlow=0
    • NvidiaHairWorks=0
    • NvidiaShadowLibs=0
    • NvidiaTerrainTesselation=0
    • NvidiaTurf=0
    • NvidiaVXAO=0
    Oh yes that's the way it's meant to be played :)
    [​IMG]
    Vega 64 Nitro @stock 1st pass

9. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I beat the articles score at 4k with a lower CPU. Curious what speed that 1080ti was running at. I guess CPU really is irrelevant at 4k.

[​IMG]

10. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HBCC 12GB. Vega64LC without OC.

11. heatseeker

heatseeker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 280x
    FX8350@4,5Ghz & Titan X (Maxwell)

12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Just scrolled through the pages and so far no one beat my 4k results. I guess I have the record? Come on guys.
    [​IMG]

13. william456

william456 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Titan X
    the latest nvidia's driver(390.77) + latest's intel patch(micro code) + latest win 10 patch(16299.192)

PS:GSYNC ON/OFF is not huge difference in score

so the scores is ridiculous->my fault,i forgot that i have using precision locked to 70 fps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well that's weird...
    I'm experiencing the same problem, but I have a Phenom II X4, so the lack of SSE 4.1 is normal, but the FX 8350 do support SSE 4.1, so it should just run.
    Did you installed the new nvidia drviers? 390.77?

15. gydj

gydj Guest

SDR
    [​IMG]

HDR
    [​IMG]

Turn on HDR hit performance, but totally worth it...

tensai28 likes this.

16. heatseeker

heatseeker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 280x
    Yep, but with previous versions also crash so, as you said, probably a CPU bug.

17. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @heatseeker I wouldn't hold my breath on that, I saw on youtube a guy with a FX 8320 running the game.
    So probably it's another problem for you, try to disable any overlay like MSI AB, Relive or any thing that might conflict with the game.
    Cheers

18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    what a pointless thing.

1 out of 10 of you is even going to play this.

warlord likes this.
  19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    The truth. But anyway, most people are benching only to check system's stability and behavior. Through comparison you are ought to know if your PC performs as it should with the hardware/configuration provided.

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Inferior performance for AMD hardware. Hopefully it will get better at release. If not, AMD gamers should boycott this.