File Server download speed?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Redjack, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Redjack

Redjack Guest

Why is the file server ,where you download detonator drivers etc., so slow? I downloaded the 31.80 dets this morning and averaged 6.4KB/s and it took nearly ten minutes. That's awful, I'm on broadband and usually get much faster dl time and speeds. I know it depends on the server and all, as well as time of day, but under 10KB/s is abyssmal in my opinion. Over at file planet I get anywhere from 24KB/s To better then 60KB/s, I understand that you probably don't have the amount of servers they do, but still a little more speed would be nice. Could you put the files on File planet or a similar site?, to speed up downloads?

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    File-planet, don't you have to pay these guys for downloads ?

People tend to blame the server where they are downloading a file from a bit too quickly. Before you can download a file you probably connect through 10-20 other internet hops.

Anyway, to proof it's not our file-server I just downloaded the exact same file (it's now prime-time) and took a little snapshot for you. It did 100+ Kb/sec which is pretty decent wouldn't you recon ? Perhaps your ISP connects to a lousy backbone or there simply was a glitch on a backbone somewhere.

Does this happen often for you ? I hope this answers your question.

[​IMG]

3. Falcon

Falcon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 7800gtx X2
    I usually get speeds of around 150-190kb/s.
    :)

4. Redjack

Redjack Guest

No it does not happen to me often, just here. I download most stuff off of a UT2K3 site and average around 65KB/s. On one of my Yahoo accounts I've had dl speeds of 100KB/s plus, and on ICQ I once reached 200KB/s. Maybe the slow dl was due to the time of day, or a pokey server in the dl chain, I dunno. As to Hilbert's 116KB/s, isn't the server like in the same place as he lives? Also maybe his OS helps out, I still run Win98 and will until I can afford to upgrade my cpu/mobo, the I'll be running WinXP Pro.

The guy who owns UT2003HQ has his own servers, I don't know what his rates are, but an average dl there is in the 80's KB/s wise. Next time i want a file here, I will try dl'ing it at off peak hours to see if that makes a difference.

5. Falcon

Falcon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 7800gtx X2
    Nope he's a good distance away from it.
    ;)

6. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

continent and a half away from it to be exact, :) I get around 120 k per sec. The server is in California, the variables could be anything from a storm in the way, server problems, perhaps someone is messing with your pc remotely, run adaware from lavasoft, some spyware can suck bandwidth. I used to run all my major downloads in linux, it had something to do with the speed differences, I hit as high as 490 k per sec.

7. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    I get 200kb some times from Guru3D's downloads. Allways over 100kb allmost all the time.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No Redjack, the file-server is stationed in California/USA, I download from Europe/Netherlands.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Is the server in California? :confused: I thought I heard it was in Belgium somewhere?, or do we have 2 of them, one file and one site server? :confused:
    Anyways, I just dl'ed the newest Via drivers, got 50 kb/s :) (dl'ing from Norway of course :p)